Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Flexcolor?  (Read 4462 times)

Henry Goh

New Flexcolor?
« on: September 04, 2007, 03:02:04 am »

I heard that a new version of Flexcolor is going to be shown to Hasselblad distributors in about 2 to 3 weeks' time in Sweden.  Apparently, it will look and work more like LR and C1 so they are having a big revamp on their UI.  Has anyone else heard about this?

There is also going to be a facelift to the H body.  The H3D backs are going to get bigger LCDs.  That was what I picked up.  I'm sure some of the regular dealers here have heard something by now.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
New Flexcolor?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 03:10:38 am »

Flexcolor 5.0 (that is the version name I keep seeing mentioned) would that be? Would be nice although I have no real big problems with 4.7.1. It is ugly but it works, not everything it really logical or easy to find though.

One of the things I would like to see most are moire reduction (I don't care too much about gui but than again I have no problems working programs command line).

Input profiles, I know someone would be very happy with that

Bigger screens are a nice addition as well but I hope they will be putting the same ones in like Canon or Nikon does in their new models. I just got a new back so this is not for me in the next couple of years. The first upgrade I will be getting is multishot and I believe that is just an add-on to your current back (sofar I have been upgrading almost every year )

davidbicho

• http://www.davidbicho.com
New Flexcolor?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 11:48:02 pm »

I heard that a new version of Flexcolor is going to be shown to Hasselblad distributors in about 2 to 3 weeks' time in Sweden.  Apparently, it will look and work more like LR and C1 so they are having a big revamp on their UI.  Has anyone else heard about this?

There is also going to be a facelift to the H body.  The H3D backs are going to get bigger LCDs.  That was what I picked up.  I'm sure some of the regular dealers here have heard something by now.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137166\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I talked to a guy at YFO (swedish retailer) that saw a very early demo at Flexcolor 5, and it had the LR-feeling to it. Unfortenately it was a very, very early version so I guess it will take quite some time before its released...

All I need is a properly rendrered preview or an automatic export to dng (so LR can take over directly after the exposure) (as I do witn C1 and tethered canon-shoots).

Khun_K

• http://
New Flexcolor?
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 06:40:27 am »

Flexcolor 5.0 (that is the version name I keep seeing mentioned) would that be? Would be nice although I have no real big problems with 4.7.1. It is ugly but it works, not everything it really logical or easy to find though.

One of the things I would like to see most are moire reduction (I don't care too much about gui but than again I have no problems working programs command line).

Input profiles, I know someone would be very happy with that

Bigger screens are a nice addition as well but I hope they will be putting the same ones in like Canon or Nikon does in their new models. I just got a new back so this is not for me in the next couple of years. The first upgrade I will be getting is multishot and I believe that is just an add-on to your current back (sofar I have been upgrading almost every year )
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137169\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Totally agreed. I have run the processing both on 4.7.1 and on CS3 (from DNG conversion), the CS3 did a lot better job than 4.7.1 to manage the moire and highlight shadow detail. The digital correction works fine on 4.7.1 but most of the feature can be processed on CS3. I hope the new Flexcolor software will allow the digital correction made on DNG conversion.

Michael HG

New Flexcolor?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 11:57:52 pm »

Flexcolor 4.8 will be released at the end of September.
Then a new Software will follow, called "Phocus", should be released at the end of the year. I hope I can add some Screen shoots the next days. Looks like Aperture.

By the way: H3D Mk II will follow with same backs. ISO will increase by Software, i.e. also for H3D MK I.

Michael

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
New Flexcolor?
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 05:53:35 am »

Higher ISO will also apply for the CF series? ISO800 would be nice, certainly when it is usable.

Did you happen to find a moire filter within one of those versions of Flexcolor?

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
New Flexcolor?
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 05:55:39 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137169\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ugly and painful to use. Looks like it was designed in 1995 and never updated since. Horrible bit of software.
A £20,000 camera and a £5 bit of software - not a good match.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

alexjones

• http://www.alexrjones.com
New Flexcolor?
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 09:01:18 am »

Ugly and painful to use. Looks like it was designed in 1995 and never updated since. Horrible bit of software.
A £20,000 camera and a £5 bit of software - not a good match.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Flexcolor may need a facelift to please the market but I can assure you it is not a "Horrible bit of software."  It runs rock solid and makes fantastic images with good efficiency.  I can't remember the last time it crashed but I can remember easily the last time C1 did.

We will all welcome a new look and features for sure, but FC has many features that go unnoticed by those who complain the loudest.

a

[a href=\"http://alexrjones.com/alexrjones/digitaltech.html]http://alexrjones.com/alexrjones/digitaltech.html[/url]

hubell

New Flexcolor?
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 11:03:42 am »

Flexcolor may need a facelift to please the market but I can assure you it is not a "Horrible bit of software."  It runs rock solid and makes fantastic images with good efficiency.  I can't remember the last time it crashed but I can remember easily the last time C1 did.

We will all welcome a new look and features for sure, but FC has many features that go unnoticed by those who complain the loudest.

a

http://alexrjones.com/alexrjones/digitaltech.html
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139374\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Flexcolor ain't pretty, but the proof is in the pudding in that Flexcolor does a great job rendering files. Generally better than ACR with Hasselblad files converted to DNGs. I personally find Capture One to be a completely non-intuitive piece of software to use. One thing I love about MACs is that I don't need a manual to figure out how to use it and I never have trouble finding my files. The file structure in C1 with "Sessions" is absolutely maddening. My constant reaction is, where the hell are my files? Am I coming or am I going? Could I learn it? Sure, but I have better things to do with my time, like trying to create a great image in the camera. Learning how to operate the damn software to process---process not optimize---the files is not high on my list of rewarding activities.
Quite frankly, none of these MFDB systems does a good job in getting you quickly and efficiently to a file that looks as good as a transparency on a light table. That, to me, is the biggest failure of these systems, not the cost. It should  be quick and easy to get to a really good file. Not a great file that has been fully optimized, just a really good starting point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up