Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Oil  (Read 29269 times)

Harris

Z3100 Oil
« on: September 02, 2007, 09:03:59 pm »

Have read previously in this forum about oiling parts of the Z3100.  I attempted to locate the previous posts was unsuccessful.  I now have the synthetic oil from HP but not sure where to use and how often.  Would apreciate advice on this.  BTW, is there a HP reference to the use of the oil and if so, could someone please provide it to me.  Many thanks,  
Harris

rdonson

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 10:00:56 pm »

Have read previously in this forum about oiling parts of the Z3100.  I attempted to locate the previous posts was unsuccessful.  I now have the synthetic oil from HP but not sure where to use and how often.  Would apreciate advice on this.  BTW, is there a HP reference to the use of the oil and if so, could someone please provide it to me.  Many thanks, 
Harris
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here's the [a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18917&hl=synthetic]thread[/url] you're looking for.
Regards,
Ron

Charles Gast

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 07:29:23 am »

How much did you pay for the can of 3 in one oil?  I think I paid something like $30
It is not synthetic...  I smelled the stuff when it arrived and it reminded me of the  3inOne I used to use on m\Moms sewing machine when I was a kid.  If you look on the bottom of the bottle you will see impressed in the plastic the 3 inOne logo.  Heres a good place to buy it  http://www.shop.com/WD40_3_In_One_Multi_Pu...43-p!.shtml

Anyway I paid about four times what its worth.  HP. You so funny. Its a way to keep their employees 401k programs going I suppose...

To answer your question it is used on the printers carriage rod. If you use the printer daily I would say to oil the rod every few weeks. Put some (four drops or so don't soak it) of the HP 3inOne oil on a PEC pad and wipe the rod. This will clean lubricate and protect the rod (hence 3 in One).  The last thing you want to do is over lubricate it. Just cleaning the rod of paper dust and leaving a thin film of lube is the objective.

BTW incase you aren't familiar pec pads they will leave no lint and are not abrasive. Heres a NON ripoff price http://www.adorama.com/CHPECPP.html

Fred Ragland

• http://
Z3100 Oil
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:51:25 am »

...It is not synthetic...If you look on the bottom of the bottle you will see impressed in the plastic the 3 inOne logo...[/url]
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hmm.  If you visit the [a href=\"http://www.partshere.com/online/detailadv.asp?partno=6040-0855]synthetic oil supplier[/url] that ICrop suggested on August 17, you can buy the recommended oil from them.  I'm looking at the bottle.  If Charles sees 3-in-1 impressed on the bottom, he bought the wrong oil.  Sorry Charles.

Fred

Charles Gast

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 01:32:58 pm »

Hmm.  If you visit the synthetic oil supplier that ICrop suggested on August 17, you can buy the recommended oil from them.  I'm looking at the bottle.  If Charles sees 3-in-1 impressed on the bottom, he bought the wrong oil.  Sorry Charles.

Fred
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137209\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No thats exactly what I bought. It has a sticker on it that says its synthetic oil, part number 6040-0855.  It is a 3 in 1 oil bottle. Exactly what you see on the link I provided minus the 3 in1 label. I guess since it has some silicone oil in it you could call it synthetic oil.  Its just funny I spent $40 with shipping for oil I can get at the hardware store for $7

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Z3100 Oil
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 08:56:16 am »

OK

let's just expand this topic a little, since it raises some very interesting points. Charles says that the oil he purchased, complete with HP part number on it, is in fact 3-in-1 oil, that we all know and love so well from childhood. If this is true, then we don't need the HP stuff, just the oil which I purchased in our local hardware store ten minutes ago at £1.92 for 100ml in a smart little tin. On the other hand, if Charles is wrong, I could use this oil and have my very expensive printers sieze up and disintegrate and it would be all my fault, because I used the wrong oil.

Now then. Just to add smoke to confusion, as far as I am aware none of the printer manufacturers specify that the carriage rod should be lubricated at any particular time interval, or at all, ever. It would seem pretty common sense that after a while, whatever lubricant they put there in the factory would be used up, dry out, and the printer would start to destroy itself along its major mechanical axis. But no mention of this, anywhere.

So, okay. Does anyone out there actually lubricate their carriage bar? If so, what with? And have they ever had an inkjet printer fail due to lack of carriage bar lubrication? (And an official statement from Epson, HP or Canon might be reassuring).

Worried of Cornwall
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
Z3100 Oil
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 11:08:16 am »

I made pancakes with 3-in-1 oil once.  I was seven years old, and the recipe said to put a few drops of oil on the skillet.  After my mom got off the phone from the Poison Control Center, she showed me where we kept the cooking oils.

Charles Gast

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 04:52:55 pm »

I made pancakes with 3-in-1 oil once.  I was seven years old, and the recipe said to put a few drops of oil on the skillet.  After my mom got off the phone from the Poison Control Center, she showed me where we kept the cooking oils.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137478\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thats 4 in 1 oil you were using then Sean!

iCrop

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 11:10:14 am »

Anyway I paid about four times what its worth.  HP. You so funny.

Charlie, does yours look like this (photo below)?  Did you buy it from HP, or the place I had provided the link to (Partshere)?  I got it from Partshere, because the HP site indicated it was on backorder.  This doesn't look like something that HP would sell, and is definitely 3in1.  Seems like fraud to me.  I'm returning mine and ordering it directly from HP.  It'll be interesting to see what I get.

Mike
[attachment=3188:attachment]

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
Z3100 Oil
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 02:39:17 pm »

I got it from Partshere, because the HP site indicated it was on backorder.  This doesn't look like something that HP would sell, and is definitely 3in1.  Seems like fraud to me.  I'm returning mine and ordering it directly from HP.  It'll be interesting to see what I get.
[attachment=3188:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137888\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Mike,
I too made a purchase from Partshere.

Bad news is they don't refund shipping and the restocking hit of $20 makes returning this nearly a wash out.

Please keep us posted on the oil you get from HP.

BTW, what is that HP ordering source again?

Thanks, and so long for now, TOM

iCrop

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 09:48:42 am »

Hi Mike,
I too made a purchase from Partshere.

Bad news is they don't refund shipping and the restocking hit of $20 makes returning this nearly a wash out.

Please keep us posted on the oil you get from HP.

BTW, what is that HP ordering source again?

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi Tom -

Yes, I saw their return policy.  I’m thinking that doesn’t apply to fraud.  They are selling 3in1 as synthetic, which it is not.  They are also trying to get us to believe it is an HP product, which it is not.  

So, if I can’t get them to refund the price plus tax, I’ll first try getting my credit card company to withhold payment, and if that doesn’t work, perhaps a letter to the state attorney’s office (PartsHere and I are both in California), and maybe HP would like to know that they are duping customers into buying 3in1 instead of genuine HP oil.

Here’s the link to the HP parts web site (enter 6040-0855 as the part number):
[a href=\"http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/Country_Choice.asp]http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/Country_Choice.asp[/url]

Mike

John R Smith

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 09:59:23 am »

Hmmmm

Curious that the genuine HP part is also 4 fl oz, just the same as the 3 in 1 . . . .

Well, HP list it as in stock in both the USA and UK. So who is going to be brave enough to order some, just in the cause of investigative journalism?

Think I'll stick with my £1.92 tin for the moment.

John
an

iCrop

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 10:55:24 am »

Hmmmm

Curious that the genuine HP part is also 4 fl oz, just the same as the 3 in 1 . . . .

Well, HP list it as in stock in both the USA and UK. So who is going to be brave enough to order some, just in the cause of investigative journalism?

Think I'll stick with my £1.92 tin for the moment.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138400\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi John -

I've already ordered the HP oil.  When it arrives, I'll post a photo of the genuine thing.

Mike

John R Smith

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 11:11:59 am »

Well done, Mike. This will be extremely interesting, because someone, somewhere, is being somewhat economical with the truth.

John
an

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
Z3100 Oil
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 11:40:42 am »

Yes, I saw their return policy.  I’m thinking that doesn’t apply to fraud.  They are selling 3in1 as synthetic, which it is not.  They are also trying to get us to believe it is an HP product, which it is not. 

So, if I can’t get them to refund the price plus tax, I’ll first try getting my credit card company to withhold payment, and if that doesn’t work, perhaps a letter to the state attorney’s office (PartsHere and I are both in California), and maybe HP would like to know that they are duping customers into buying 3in1 instead of genuine HP oil.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138399\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Mike,
Thanks for posting the link to the HP product.

Is this the address you have for returning the fraudulent merchandise. I went to the website and it gave me this address.

ATTN: RMA Department
2132 South Grove Ave. Unit N.
Ontario, CA 91761

I am thinking of going straight to the CC company and trying to get some guidance with this.

Looking forward to seeing the post of the real item.

iCrop

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 12:00:57 pm »

Tom -

Yes, that's the address.  I'll be shipping mine back today, should arrive there tomorrow.  I'll post and let everyone know how the return process unfolds.

Mke

Harry Carpenter

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 12:33:02 pm »

This is a shot of the oil the HP engineer showed me today for use on the Z3100.
Maybe different in other countries?

He said one drop maybe 2 on a cloth (pec pad).

rdonson

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 12:49:13 pm »

This is a shot of the oil the HP engineer showed me today for use on the Z3100.
Maybe different in other countries?

He said one drop maybe 2 on a cloth (pec pad).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138438\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Harry!!!  Now we know what to look for.
Regards,
Ron

Charles Gast

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 03:03:10 am »

Thanks for looking into this. I'm in the Netherworld(lands) right now. I'll be curious to see if I can get a refund from these hosers at partshere.  I see they dont want to talk to anyone. They dont post a phone number. When I get back I will contact the atty gen of CA.  Partshere may have disappeared by then

Charlie

John R Smith

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 05:14:39 am »

Folks

The genuine HP oil as shown in the photo is only 3ml, a very small bottle. And the part number, C7769-60285, can't be found on the HP parts website. However, the oil is apparently NYE 179, which is a synthetic hydrocarbon (Nye 179 poly-alpha-olefin) (PAO) oil, made by Nye Lubricants of Fairhaven MA according to my research. A datasheet can be found here -

Oil Specification

So this stuff is definitely not 3-in-1. I think Partshere owe you chaps a refund and a grovelling apology.

John
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 05:15:44 am by John R Smith »
an
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up