Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backing-Up Images: How to Start??  (Read 6596 times)

ron ritcher

Backing-Up Images: How to Start??
« on: September 01, 2007, 01:46:58 pm »

As a hobbyist with very modest goals and techno-knowledge, I realize that I have enough cherished images that back-up is finally essential.  I've read parts of tutorials on the subject until my head throbs -- they're geared toward photogs with far loftier needs than mine.  So, I would love to find a "backup blueprint" designed for my simple situation (and understanding).

Here are the particulars of what I currently do:

*shoot RAW, download into Capture One (all downloads remain on computer hard-drive -- and nowhere else) *process with PS/CS, then save decent images onto an external LaCie drive.  (So, even with the extra drive, NONE of my files are backed-up; they are on one drive or the other, but not both) *I deal with only about 500 RAW images A YEAR -- not very many *My 150 GB external drive has TONS of room left -- space isn't the problem, but security is my concern. *both the computer and LaCie are long-of tooth, and will need replacing sooner rather than later.

I anticipate buying another external drive or two right away, but THEN WHAT?  What files should go where, and (yes, I have to ask) how do I get them there?  Can you give me some guidance into how I might configure the hardware and build myself a very simple (to figure out) safety net?  THANKS!!

--Ron
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 02:03:11 pm by ron ritcher »

Jon Meddings

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 02:06:10 pm »

As a hobbyist with very modest goals and techno-knowledge, I realize that I have enough cherished images that back-up is finally essential.  I've read parts of tutorials on the subject until my head throbs -- they're geared toward photogs with far loftier needs than mine.  So, I would love to find a "backup blueprint" designed for my simple situation (and understanding).

*shoot RAW, download into Capture One (all downloads remain on computer hard-drive -- and nowhere else) *process with PS/CS, then save decent images onto an external LaCie drive.  (So, even with the extra drive, NONE of my files are backed-up; they are on one drive or the other, but not both) *I deal with only about 500 RAW images A YEAR -- not very many *My 150 GB external drive has TONS of room left -- space isn't the problem, but security is my concern. *both the computer and LaCie are long-of tooth, and will need replacing sooner rather than later.

I anticipate buying another external drive or two right away, but THEN WHAT?  Can you give me some guidance into how I might configure the hardware and build myself a very simple (to figure out) safety net?  THANKS!!

--Ron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136769\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, here is a suggestion - it represents a small part of my backup process.

1. Keep all your images, RAW and converted, on your local hard disk. I do this in a file structure under 2 separate directories, "RAW Images" and "Converted Images". Not very imaginative I know. Under each of these I sort by date basically.

2. Your backup strategy then simply needs to copy all files in these 2 directories to  the same named files on your external drive. This can easily be done with a batch file (see below). Multiple backups can be performed to different drives and stored elsewhere so that you are safe. Drives these days are cheap.

Here's a sample batch file you could edit for your own use - simply name it backup.cmd

@echo off
echo.
echo Backing up new or changed pictures from Drive E: to Drive X: ....
echo.
xcopy e:\"RAW Images"\*.* x:\"RAW Images" /s /y /c /D
xcopy e:\"Converted Images"\*.* x:\"Converted Images"\ /s /y /c /D
echo.
echo All done!
echo.

Simply change the drive letters to the appropriate ones in your machine. The xcopy switches are simple:

/s copies subdirectories
/y suppress questions
/c continues to copy through any errors
/D copies only newer (or new) files.

Hope this helps

ron ritcher

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 03:54:55 pm »

Thanks, Jon--

Your numbered steps 1 and 2 make perfect sense, but you began to lose me with the more specific workflow examples that follow.  Please don't feel compelled to respond further, but the fact that "echo," "suppress questions," and "copies subdirectories" are all Greek to me should demonstrate just what a computer-illiterate guy I really am!  Thanks for sharing . . .

--Ron

oldcsar

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 04:31:09 pm »

I would recommend backing up to non-drive media. DVD-R media is fairly inexpensive, and less volatile. Make multiple copies, store them in a cool, dry place away from sunlight. Nothing lasts forever, and so backing up your photos should be a continual process for maximum peace of mind.

Nothing is worse than a catastrophic drive failure. A drive can function reliably for many years (I have a 60GB drive that has worked without problems for six years), yet there are some drives that may crap out on you a year or two after purchase. If you wish to stick with the big guns (removable HDs and so on), that is your decision. Storing multiple DVDrs is a reliable method, especially if you invest in archival quality discs... a good place to look, if you are curious, is HERE:

http://www.mam-a.com/products/dvd/Gold%20DVD/DVDR%20Gold.htm
Brendan Wiebe
 [url=http://smg.photobucke

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 05:23:35 pm »

I would recommend backing up to non-drive media. DVD-R media is fairly inexpensive, and less volatile. Make multiple copies, store them in a cool, dry place away from sunlight. Nothing lasts forever, and so backing up your photos should be a continual process for maximum peace of mind.

Nothing is worse than a catastrophic drive failure. A drive can function reliably for many years (I have a 60GB drive that has worked without problems for six years), yet there are some drives that may crap out on you a year or two after purchase. If you wish to stick with the big guns (removable HDs and so on), that is your decision. Storing multiple DVDrs is a reliable method, especially if you invest in archival quality discs... a good place to look, if you are curious, is HERE:

http://www.mam-a.com/products/dvd/Gold%20DVD/DVDR%20Gold.htm
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136796\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Backing up to archival DVD's sounds great, but in the real world unless you are extraordinarily disciplined, all the tedious work of doing so becomes a huge speed bump. You will be loading and burning discs, deciding how to parcel out all those gigabytes of images among multiple discs, labeling and cataloguing said discs, storing them at home with a second copy off site...are you really gonna do all that? Every week? I didn't think so.

I keep all my images "live" and accessable on a removable hard disc that plugs into my HP desktop. Once a week I back them all up onto one of two identical external hard drives, alternating the drive in case some calamity takes down both drives involved in the back-up. Once a month I back up all the images onto a separate external drive which I then take to my office, on the off chance that something disastrous happens at home. Hey, you never know. Each back up runs unattended overnight, takes about 30 seconds to set up, and requires no brain power at all. Since each disc has my images in an identical folder structure, I can find any image in a few seconds.

ron ritcher

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 05:37:57 pm »

Geoff--

Yours is a procedure that sounds close to where I think I'm heading.  BUT, I'm such a clutz around computers, getting there is my main question.  For example, HOW do you go about the periodic backups?  Is there special software available/necessary?  Do some external drives make it easier than others?  And I'm not quite sure I followed you all the way through: do you use THREE external drives in all?  Anyway, the info already provided is quite helpful, but as you can tell from the nature of my questions,  I truly am starting from ground zero!

--Ron

ron ritcher

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 05:41:22 pm »

Thanks, Oldcsar--

I'll follow that link you provided, but for now, figure I'll learn more about backing-up to external drives, then head your route for further peace of mind.  Your response is much appreciated!

--Ron
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 08:20:12 pm by ron ritcher »

oldcsar

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 05:57:03 pm »

Geoff-

According to Ron, he's only dealing with about 500 raw files a year. That doesn't sound like burning loads of discs every week to me. And if someone decides to make a backup off site, that's their decision... but if they do so, it is irrelevant which media you are using, disc or drive. Backing files up does not have to be as complicated as you are making it out to be, with all due respect towards your personal methods.
Brendan Wiebe
 [url=http://smg.photobucke

Ventoux1

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 12:51:34 am »

Ron,

I use DVDs, but I would recommend looking at some of the commercially available file backup software - backup4all, vicaversa, etc..  These should simplify the process for you, allow you to schedule an automatic back-up, help with the file structure replication on several drives.

There should be reviews of such software on the internet somewhere.  Probably freeware or shareware, too but I'm not sure I'd trust my prized images to that.  The retail stuff should have more bells and whistles, better support and manuals as well.  You might even be able to get such software at Frys, Worst Buy or Circuit City in the utility software area, if you don't want to purchase on line.

Good luck!  You and the other posters have gotten me thinking about the relative ease of using redundant external drives versus my DVDs.  I'll probably make the switch.   Thanks for raising the issue/question.

Goodlistener

• http://www.pbase.com/goodlistener
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 12:32:44 am »

Ron, everyone has a different answer on this, but my situation is nealry teh same as yours.  For now (and it will change soon) I have ALL images on m internal drive.  I have an external drive the same size as my internal drive.  The external drive is LaCie, firewwire 400 plus USB conection and costs about $125 when I bought it.

I have a shareware backup program made for the Mac format computers called SuperDuper.  The paid or registere versionn of it has a scheduler feature that automaticly runs a backup job.  Somewhere there will be a good shareware program for PCs.  Some of the Hard Drive makers such as Western Digital bundle brand name backup software with their higher end more expensive drives. Other drive makers bundle lesser known backup utilities with their drives.  

A simple USB or firewire external drive with some kind of shareware backup program will get you a long long way ahead of having no backups at all.  The discussion does not mention the reason why you keep photos on a separate external drive. Most likely because the internal drive is or will be full up?

Consider either replacing the internal drive with a bigger one, (and doing or having done the data transfer) or if you must have primary storage on 2 drives, then get 2 backup drives.  A.1 to A.2 and B.1 to B.2 if you will.

I'm not sure where to get good quality shareware backup software on a PC format, but perhaps the members here have some good recomendations.  For a Mac, go with SuperDuper from Shirtpocket software Co.  Notice, this plan is to  backup all the contents of your PC, not only one kind of file.  

Hope this helps, and keep on taking nice pictures.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 04:39:27 am »

As a hobbyist with very modest goals and techno-knowledge, I realize that I have enough cherished images that back-up is finally essential.  I've read parts of tutorials on the subject until my head throbs -- they're geared toward photogs with far loftier needs than mine.  So, I would love to find a "backup blueprint" designed for my simple situation (and understanding).

*shoot RAW, download into Capture One (all downloads remain on computer hard-drive -- and nowhere else) *process with PS/CS, then save decent images onto an external LaCie drive.  (So, even with the extra drive, NONE of my files are backed-up; they are on one drive or the other, but not both) *I deal with only about 500 RAW images A YEAR -- not very many *My 150 GB external drive has TONS of room left -- space isn't the problem, but security is my concern. *both the computer and LaCie are long-of tooth, and will need replacing sooner rather than later.

I anticipate buying another external drive or two right away, but THEN WHAT?  What files should go where, and (yes, I have to ask) how do I get them there?  Can you give me some guidance into how I might configure the hardware and build myself a very simple (to figure out) safety net?  THANKS!!

--Ron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136769\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd suggest this: buy a couple of gigs of online storage - it's cheap. Then use a program such as Chronosync (Mac - I imagine there's something similar for the PC) to do an automatic backup to the online storage each night. Mine runs at 0100. Worst case so far is that it's taken 15 hours, after what was for me (and I suspect would be for you) a largish shoot.

I use LR and only back up the catalogue and the raw files: I don't think I'll lose anything other than processing time if the .lrdata folder goes astray, but I'm open to correction on that. Not backing it up certainly saves an awful lot of time.

Chronosync has some nice features for keeping files which it deletes on the destination in an archive for a month or so.

This undoubtedly wouldn't work for everyone, but for a small-volume snapper like me, it's fine.

Jeremy

sniper

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 06:19:52 am »

My system is to keep both sets (raw and processed) on several hard drives, one is a second large drive in the PC, the others are external usb hard drives, I just plug one in and copy/paste the whole file across to the back up drive (in the dated photo file or whatever method suits you) then when I have time, I back up to DVD as well, these and 1 drive are stored elsewhere for added safety.  Wayne

Jon Meddings

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 09:40:31 am »

I have a process similar to many here as well.

1. I download all my RAW files to a 2 TB RAID 5 network storage device with Downloader Pro. I also take this opportunity to have Downloader rename the files to a reasonable system and at the conclusion of the download initiate a batch file that recopies the files to another external HD. Gives me 2 copies of all files.
2. I import into LR, keyword and delete as necessary and save the LR database onto a local HD. This gets backed up each week to the NAS device and that backup is also copied to the external HD by Downloader following each download.

Pro's to this system:

1. I get some peace of mind knowing that all the files are on 2 separate systems. I also "store" a copy of the offline external HD at another location every few months with a complete copy of all files up to that point in time.
2. The RAID array also provides some security for a drive failure as I have a ready 'plug in' drive sitting beside the unit ready to go.
3. The images are available of the NAS unit anywhere on the network.

Cons:

1. Speed. Since I prefer being able to see the image from anywhere I don't keep a working copy on a local drive (although I guess I could).  This means that speed suffers a bit. However with a gigabit wired lan it is not intolerable for me.

All in all I'm always looking for ways to improve the system but this makes it fairly seamless and painless for me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up