Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl 320 (344) 7 Epson 2400  (Read 2551 times)

pete1959

Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl 320 (344) 7 Epson 2400
« on: September 01, 2007, 01:39:50 pm »

I just wanted to pass along some of my observations with the new Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl 320 (HPRP)  and printing on the Epson 2400.

First off I ordered the paper from Shades of Paper. The box of paper arrived marked "Photo Rag Pearl 344gsm". Thinking I was sent the wrong paper I went on line and discovered that Hahnemuhle doesn't make a 344 gsm photo rag pearl. I contacted Shades of Paper and they confirmed it was a printing error on the box label and that the paper was in fact PRP 320 gsm. I would add that Shades of Paper has always been a great company to buy from.

My previous "fine art" paper has been Innova F type Gloss Black Max (or whatever the name is this week...I can't keep up with Innova's product names). I print on an Epson 2400 using Imageprint RIP. I utilize Imageprints ICC paper profiles. They seem to have everything in their library within weeks of new papers being introduced.

I print only black and white.

Despite warnings that thick media such as the Innova 300 gsm paper must be fed via the front loader I have laways been able to feed it through the nomal sheet feeder in the 2400.

So I was curious and hopeful that the HPRP 320 gsm would feed in the nomal sheet feeder and was pleased to find it fed just fine !

The prints have a very rich traditional fiber appearence. The surface is slightly smoother than the Innova. I find both print surfaces to be nice. You have to spend time "peeking" at the surface to notice. IMHO both papers achieve the "traditional silver print" look very very well.

The paper itself has a wonderful feel and weight. Although this doesn't factor in for framed prints, most of my prints sit in portfolio boxes and never get framed. The tactile feel as your fingers support the back of the print is that of a soft rag "soft paper" feel on your fingers. Very nice.

The iamges have a warmer tone than the Innova. Very very much like Bergger's traditional darkroom papers. Very rich and deep with nice range of tones coming up out of the deep shadows. The warm tone isn't overpowering, and only really jumps out when placed next to another paper such as Innova. But it definitely looks and feels like a "bayarta coated" style paper.....For those of you who grew up in a wet darkroom printing on the older warm papers you should be very happy.

By the way I didn't do a side by side comparison with the Innova F type warmtone. Maybe later this weekend.

Having grown up in a "wet" darkroom, and transitioned in the late 90's to digital B&W, and having been frustrated with bronzing and RC papers and mentarism, and limited paper choices such as matt only, and basically being TOTALLY frustrated with digital B&W(with the exception of Imageprint coming to the rescue), the new papers that have come out this year are truly "benchmark". The new Innova and Hahnemule papers have ended years and years of my pursuit of making "wet darkroom" prints on an inkjet printer. Really remarkable.

2007 is the year digital photography and black and white inkjet printing came of age. I can now in matter of minutes output a perfect fiber print that would have taken me hours and hours in my wet darkroom (enlarger-developer-stop-fix-wash-hypo clear-tone- wash all night-throw print in trash repeat until you cry).

As far as the costs....well I recall good fiber paper was expensive...as was chemistry that spoiled....and a trash can full of test prints, test strips, creased papers, etc. I don't mind spending $80.00 for a box of 50 8x10's because I know I will end up with about 45 keepers. In my old darkroom a box of paper was 2/3rds waste. Not to mention the wasted time and frustration .

Regards to all.

Peter

pete1959

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 01:42:54 pm »

Sorry...should have read: "Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl 320 (344) and Epson 2400"

dgillilan

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 08:34:41 am »

Sorry...should have read: "Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl 320 (344) and Epson 2400"
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136768\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you Pete, I may order the Hahn. Photo Rag Pearl  for my next photo black ink paper (glossy), I want that wet darkroom look on my black and white although I mainly print color for others.  Thanks for the review,
Debra
Pages: [1]   Go Up