Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WB looks different in Aperture and DPP  (Read 7300 times)

joandkim

WB looks different in Aperture and DPP
« on: August 31, 2007, 08:01:07 pm »

Same WB looks different in DPP and Aperture
When I look at the same file in eg. 5200 K in DPP the shot looks a lot more neutral than 5200 K in Aperture which is a lot warmer/more yellow and saturated as a default. Any clues why this is? In Aperture I have to take down the White Balance Temp to about 4400 to get a similar result!

The images are shot in Raw and in Adobe 1998.

Thanks for any advice,[attachment=3120:attachment]
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 08:09:48 pm by joandkim »

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 06:54:44 am »

Same WB looks different in DPP and Aperture
When I look at the same file in eg. 5200 K in DPP the shot looks a lot more neutral than 5200 K in Aperture which is a lot warmer/more yellow and saturated as a default. Any clues why this is? In Aperture I have to take down the White Balance Temp to about 4400 to get a similar result!

The images are shot in Raw and in Adobe 1998.

Thanks for any advice,[attachment=3120:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136661\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What are the tint settings for each?

Also, note that Kelvin numbers are somewhat arbitrary, in that an absolute setting of 5200K with a Tint of +10 pink will not necessarily look identical across different products (DPP versus Aperture versus ACR/Lightroom, for example).

Have you tried the white balance tool on each product -- selecting the same area for both?  What are the results there?

joandkim

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 08:09:38 pm »

Well cant seem to find a scale setting for the Tint in DPP, just a colour chart wheel, however I have done the Click white balance test and the results are very similiar if I choose the Landscape picture style in DPP rather than the Standard which I am usually having as a default. Really dont like the effect of the Landscape style in DPP so hardly ever use. Seems like Aperture is having the landscape mode as its default though, at least on this type of image. Is there anywhere you can change something like a default picture mode in aperture? For example the Landscape mode in DPP oversatures the Blues like crazy.... and the different picture styles in dpp really changes the look of the shots. I assumed apertures default reading would be a bit more natural. Could it be so that I have changed some setting somewhere in Aperture by misstake? if so How do get it back to default settings`?

Thanx
[attachment=3155:attachment]

brucepercy1

• http://www.thelightandtheland.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 02:18:39 pm »

I find that images look a lot more natural in DPP. And that's comparing it to Adobe Camera Raw as well as Aperture.

I don't think DPP is a great piece of software, it's not as good at getting all the detail out of the fils as ACR is, but then ACR's 'tone' leaves a bit to be desired. The tones from DPP are much more natural.

To answer your question - it could simply be down to a different RAW converter in use. DPP has it's own, Aperture uses the OSX built in one.
--
 Best Wishes,  Bruce Percy [url=http:/
Pages: [1]   Go Up