Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hard Drives - Storage Solutions  (Read 9953 times)

Jann Lipka

• http://www.lipka.se
Hard Drives - Storage Solutions
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2007, 04:46:25 am »

For me, an important issue is SIMPLICITY of backup .
I have been considering RAID solutions and gave up on those,
because when the failure comes, recovery can be filled with problems .
Right now ( MAC 10.4.9 )  I'm on
1 Sonnet 5 Drive SATA Fusion Cabinett. JBOD ,
I keep it as "present work" storage .

Always 2 mirrored SATA drives for storage .
( Super Duper is good )

Also I like LaCies 2 Drive SATA enclosures

http://www.lacie.com/se/products/product.htm?pid=10848

Those have fans  keeping Drives cooler , Also it is very easy
to change SATA Drives in this device, no Screwing ( = Sonnet needs brackets )
Just unmount, and slide in some other drive in .

IMHO FireWire storage  is can of  worms when you get more drives .
Also from what I see SATA is cheaper, more simple and Faster
( OK , you need a SATA interface first :-) )

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2007, 12:32:26 pm »

Just saw this on Deal Mac. Pretty good price for the 500gig Segate:

Seagate 500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Internal Hard Drive from $95 shipped
newegg.com offers the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Internal Hard Drive, model no. ST3500630AS, for $109.99 with free shipping. Pay via PayPal and coupon code "PPAL808HDD02" drops it to $94.99. That's $10 off our last mention and the lowest total price we've seen. This 3.0Gbs perpendicular drive operates at 7200 rpm and features a 16MB cache and 5-year warranty. Deal ends September 5.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

rinderart

• http://www.rinderart.com
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2007, 12:42:39 pm »

How about those storage places Online? any thoughts about those?

Randal32

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 02:44:35 pm »

Thanks for all the great advice.

I think i'm gonna go with an STK400 from weibetech.

Do yall think that 1TB hard drives are too big?  too susceptible to corruption?

I have about 2 TB's worth of data right now, so I could have everything "working" on the STK along with a backup for the new stuff.

any more thoughts?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 02:45:31 pm by Randal32 »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 05:57:41 pm »

Do yall think that 1TB hard drives are too big?  too susceptible to corruption?

I[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137525\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think 1TB drives are 3 330s jammed in one box - nine times more likely to fail in entirety than 3 seperate dirves

How does raid give offsite (fire theft backup)

One other thought on backup is human interferance

be it an simple error or malice, onsite (you just sacked an assistant who pressed AppleA delete) or offsite (virus/hacker)

with raid you can accidentally delete all your data

a proper backup enables you to 'step back in time' before eg a virus or error

I think the best* (most practical) system is basically the same as MT old system duplicated offsite, kept powered down and disconeccted (lightening) and booted weekly

Raid is for consitstency, yes useful for todays work, but really for applications that need to be kept online like e-commerce websites with high traffic phjotographers are not generally too affected by downtime of (15 or so mins to swap out a bad disk)

SMM

*actually the best system is probably online storage solutions but they are generally impractical due to cost or bandwidth to upload

a further thought - when you take a nice image/important image e-mail it at jpg12 to your gmail account, describe the image in the e-mail and you have a lovely searchable image database, backed up by mr google, - for free

online soutions have to be the future

S
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 06:00:50 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 02:04:15 am »

I beg to differ concerning online solutions. You are just handing over control to a third party over which you have absolutely no control.

Do you know how they handle redundancy and backup? It might be good it might not. Over the years many online companies have went belly up your online storage might be next what is going to happen with your data? Again, it might or it might not.

You can use RAID both for archival purposes as well as running. Naturally you can turn off the one used for archival purposes (not advisable).

You can also print your most important images as another backup.

I believe Home Raid appliances will become much more mainstream over the years making for a cheaper plug&pray solution.

nicolaasdb

• http://
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 02:37:53 pm »

how am I going to upload 95GB to an online server?

I have been researching the wiebetech trayless or proSATA ss8 systems and think that this is the way to go (FOR ME!) if anybosy has any input or has a better (maybe) cheaper solution please let me know.....I have 10TB right now and everything is maxed!! I need to decide this week.

Randal32

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 02:40:41 pm »

I agree.  Online upload speed just isnt there yet.

I just ordered a RTX400 and 4 750 Hard Drives from NewEgg.  I will probably go through 1 RTX400 every 1-1.5 years.  Next one, I'll use Terabytes instead 750s but b/c of the price difference, 750's make more sense to me.

Thanks again for all the help.

nicolaasdb

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2007, 02:08:28 am »

Randall...I was looking at the same system (wiebetech right?) but I wanted to go for the proSATA ss8 (an 8 bay option 8TB)....but now I have been researching more and i can even get a 16bay 16TB rack! If I would mirror these I would have 8TB and this should be good for a couple of years.

How much did you pay for the rtx400 and is it SATA or scsi?

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2007, 02:41:52 am »

Mirroring is not a very good solution write speedwise, read-speed is good though. Have you taken a look at things like the smallest EMC? That can go to 9 or 10TB in a RAID5 configuration (12drive bay) if I am not mistaken. Another option might be a Netapp's. Model number of the smallest EMC is the Clariion ax150.

I believe most of them are NAS or SAN configurations meaning you can hook them up to your network and have access to them from wherever you want to (if configured properly). In contrast with many other lower end NAS & SAN equipment these do have very good performance over networks.

Both are expensive but if your data is important these (EMC & Netapps) are regarded the highest-end equipment for storage.

Advantage is that you will be looking at the smallest configurations leaving enough room to expand in the future. The largest configurations can take hundreds of drives. This type of equipment is normally used by the likes of Internet Providers or other companies that need to handle extreme amounts of data
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 02:56:58 am by Dustbak »

nicolaasdb

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2007, 02:55:44 am »

netapp is not for me.....way to expensive....and since I make 3 backups (2 on premisses could become raid1 or 5-- and 1 off premisses) I really just need a system that allows me fast access to my images (about 8TB) so I can work on them and provide clients what they need fast.
I have seen systems 16TB for about 12 grand from a company in California..they even provide 24/7/365 support and have been around 16 years.....but I was looking to pay around 5K and think that I can get a 8 bay hotswap raid from wiebetech with 8 x1TB drive. make this a raid 5 and burn an extra disc for the off premisse storage.

Just wondering if anybody had a better (cheaper) system solution ( besides being smart and telling me not to make a 3rd backup...my wife/partner will not go for it!!)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up