Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Capture One 4.0 beta  (Read 11702 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
New Capture One 4.0 beta
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2007, 03:37:56 pm »

No need to be so bully and blunt all the time. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136781\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not true...when somebody (that I don't know from Adam) alleges bias on the part of somebody like Michael simply because he has done a Lightroom tutorial, (and I know for an absolute fact it's a load of crap), I jump...

It's all too easy to type letters that make words that combine to create ill considered or ignorant statements. I would suggest that if people wish to engage in civil debate, that they be careful what they write.

oakvilleonca

• Light and Shadow
New Capture One 4.0 beta
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2007, 07:15:58 am »

Meanwhile back to the topic at hand, is Capture One  4 a superior product in terms of the the results? Put aside for the moment the layout, workflow, features, speed, important as these are, and focus on the output.

In the photograph that Henry posted, which compared the old and the new version, the old version shows somewhat darker colours than the new. Has anyone compared the results in terms of detail, fidelity and the like with other RAW processors such as Bibble, Lightroom. Nikon's NX, DxO or Silkypix?

retro987

New Capture One 4.0 beta
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 01:01:21 pm »

4.0 beta didn't work on my 2 year old machine (windows xp64, 12Gb ram, quad core)
just would never launch. instant crash report to Phase. I gave up and removed it.

However...

I have to say Michael is coming across as a bit biased towards Lightroom. We all know he has invested a lot of time in it, with the tutorials etc, but it seems Lightroom is great for high production work flows, where good enough colour does, but C1 gives you the utmost in files and colour (to me) for a slightly slower workflow.

Yes Lightroom has more controls, but if its basic profiles for your camera/back aren't really excellent (and Phase's are very good indeed) then its a lot of work to get close to a comparable C1 file.

I'm in the business of needing near perfect files - not a high workflow situation - just the absolute best file I can possibly get out of my P45+ images, and have no interest in compromising that for a quicker workflow or bells and whistles Raw Converter. For this reason, I'm perfectly happy with C1 (even 3.7x) rather than Lightroom. 

Horses for Courses, I guess.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136615\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
New Capture One 4.0 beta
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2007, 04:08:36 pm »

I'm not biased toward either Lightroom or Capture One I can tell you.  I'm on my third Phase One back (P45+) and liked Capture One when it first came out as really it was the best available.  Like Michael, I think--that was then and this is now.  After working with both C1 4 beta and Lightroom I'm leaning toward Lightroom not only for ease of use, but also for quality control.  I simply have more control over my image file in Lightroom.  That is not to say C1 won't improve---alter all this is a beta, tho too long in coming.  but right now I tend to convert to DNG in C1 4.0 beta,  and work in Lightroom (tho I'm still experimenting with comparing RAW file conversions in both applications).

Does anyone know (jeff??) when the next update to Lightroom will be out that will support Phase One P45+ RAW files so I won't have to convert to DNG first?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137074\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
New Capture One 4.0 beta
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2007, 10:25:00 pm »

well call me biased, but the only good thing i can find about this beta is the DNG export....the interface is a clear attempt to blend in with all the others, the highlight/shadow recovery falls into teh finally category.....and in the end: well i can't really use it because it does not shoot tethered....the FINAL version was supposed to come out in march...at least that is what i was told when i bought my P30....i used ot have leaf, so i take everyhting with a grain of salt but i still can't understand what can possibly take so long and now i have to wait another year?
we are talking workflow...i can't rely on something that MIGHT come out in a year..i have to look elsewhere......LR not only saves me a TON of time in postproduction (i can't even imagine going back to dealing with 3 different apps again...) and i actually prefer the conversions...sometimes the phase ones are better....sometimes not....of course this is personal....i prefer the grainstructure and color in LR to C1...shadows are the same to me, detail seems to brittle in C1....it comes down to the same old thing....with great lenses (and i am not talking about zoom vs fixed canons here....i am talking about schneider/rollei and RZ) my files do not need any sharpening and they always look sharpened in C1......anyway...this is personal.....

either way...when v4 pro comes out we will probably all be drooling over LR2.0 and C1 will be what it has turned into...a great fringe Dfile converter supporting rock solid tether.....sorry that is what it was 2 years ago and that is what i expect to come with every DSLR these days....it has not evolved in any way...2 new sliders don't mean anything.....so actually comparing LR to C1 is not fair anymore....it is not in the same league, LR is a totally different app which happens to convert my files better (imo) then C1.....tethered is LR's only shortcoming and i am afraid phase will hold on to dear life to all data and files to not give adobe access.....but in the end adobe will make it work.....

tived

• http://
New Capture One 4.0 beta
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2007, 08:11:48 am »

Guys

Its BETA, expect errors, report them - just like with the last Adobe products that have been send public BETA, they too needed work and this is no different.
We will all be better off, if C1 becomes a good product, Adobe and others will have to up their game and so on.

Re Michael, I would say that he give it fair attention, the product isn't currently up to scratch, and there was no need to beat someone lying down. I have a lot of confidence and respect in the reviews and reviewers here. They have to me been spot on, for many years, without missing the beat. So, if you have just dropped in, then take the time to look over things here first. Lightroom is a program that has matured very quickly with a lot of support both here and elsewhere. Its not my tool of choice but the debate about it helps educate me. YMMV

Back to the topic, I couldn't even get it to run on my windoze XP x64 machine but hey no big deal 3.7.7 still works fine and so does ACR4.1 so I can wait and if its a lemon, well I keep my options open

Henrik
A Dane Down Under - and NO, I don't support C1 because I am danish, but because it has been a great product for the last many years...but other are catching up and some has passed it
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up