Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: C4.0 beta is ready  (Read 13801 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
C4.0 beta is ready
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 04:26:56 am »

Actually, I quite like it. It seems to work for at least a few minutes at a time (no crash yet for me), the HDR controls are neat and the rendering much better than ACR.

Of course there are interface issues. Hopefully we can get these straightened out while moving from the beta to the final version.

It's clear that I'll have to cook up new profiles for V4, but for now I think it will be a decent successor to V3.

Edmund
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 04:28:11 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Willow Photography

• http://www.willow.no
C4.0 beta is ready
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 06:50:31 am »

Much more color noise in shadows (400iso) in beta than 3.7
Willow Photography

craigwashburn

C4.0 beta is ready
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 10:15:10 am »

Too little too late?  Not sure I agree.  Every high end studio I've been in uses C1.  For location work, the high dollar guys are all shooting with it too...   the only other program I see regularly at that level is hassy's flexcolor, which gets nary a mention around here.

For tethered shooting, fast processing, fast workflow and high quality image output.. C1 does it all.  $500 isn't expensive for all of this...

ACR/Lightroom has always uglied up skin tones with weird hard to fix orange/red hues..a big no no...and it doesn't have that hard to describe (creamy? analog?) midtone transition that C1 does that looks so nice.

C4beta looks good.  Plenty of bugs to fix, but I like the added exposure functionality and the speed upgrade.

ronno

C4.0 beta is ready
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 10:44:36 am »

C1 is too late for what?
Are you all done processing files?

I agree that C1 does a great job with skin tones, unlike ACR and most of the rest I.M.O. I can't wait for the final to arrive more stable, and with the required UI and feature tweaks.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 11:01:03 am by ronno »

Snook

C4.0 beta is ready
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 11:09:27 am »

Anybody know what  restriction the beta has?
Is it limited to certain number of Process or does it expire at a certain time?
Thanks for any information. I could not find anything.
Thanks
Snook

craigwashburn

C4.0 beta is ready
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 11:41:08 am »

Anybody know what  restriction the beta has?
Is it limited to certain number of Process or does it expire at a certain time?
Thanks for any information. I could not find anything.
Thanks
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136567\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I believe it expires on Nov. 1st.  No other restrictions, other than it has a few bugs.  Perhaps the most annoying is that it resets the Camera profile to Generic at every start.  (generic profiles tend to be flat in tone)

Beta 1 after all...

If you haven't used capture one before, I would recommend waiting for a later version, or download the existing 3.7.7 try-out.  You'll have better "out of the box" results.  I had to tweak many settings from C4beta's rather odd defaults to get desired results.

Snook

C4.0 beta is ready
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 12:11:41 pm »

Thanks, I have been using C-1 for many years..
Does it screw up any of my 3.7.7 settings if I install or does it install a seperate program all together?
Thanks
Snook

francois

C4.0 beta is ready
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 12:22:54 pm »

Thanks, I have been using C-1 for many years..
Does it screw up any of my 3.7.7 settings if I install or does it install a seperate program all together?
Thanks
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136582\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It does not, at least on my Mac. Capture One Pro 3.7.x was installed in its own folder (in the Applications folder) and the new Beta 4 is installed directly into the Applications folder.
Francois

Barry Pearson

• http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/
C4.0 beta is ready
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2007, 11:53:22 am »

The Mamiya ZD + backs are not listed among the list of supported cameras.

Could anyone try?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136444\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It ignores MEFs from the Mamiya ZD.

It ignores DNGs converted from those MEFs by Adobe's DNG Converter. But ....

If you hex-edit all "Mamiya" in the DNGs to another 6-character string, it will open those DNGs, process them, and output TIFFs (etc) from them that can be opened in Photoshop.

It does not have any specific profiles for the Mamiya ZD, but appears able to use the profile that DNG Converter puts into the DNG.

Henry Goh

C4.0 beta is ready
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2007, 11:58:12 am »

It ignores MEFs from the Mamiya ZD.

It ignores DNGs converted from those MEFs by Adobe's DNG Converter. But ....

If you hex-edit all "Mamiya" in the DNGs to another 6-character string, it will open those DNGs, process them, and output TIFFs (etc) from them that can be opened in Photoshop.

It does not have any specific profiles for the Mamiya ZD, but appears able to use the profile that DNG Converter puts into the DNG.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136885\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is nice to learn Barry.  Did you notice anything particular about the quality of those TIFFs coming out of C1?  Are they any good?

Henry
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 11:58:28 am by Henry Goh »

Barry Pearson

C4.0 beta is ready
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2007, 12:03:33 pm »

I would have to say that it is probably more the fact that Sinar, Leaf, and Hasselblad refused to give Phase their proprietary information on their raw files more than anything .....   I cannot see any reason that these 3 companies would give Phase their file information.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136504\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Capture One version 4 ignores normal DNGs (eg. created by Adobe's DNG Converter) for the following cameras/backs:
Hasselblad-Imacon H2
Hasselblad-Imacon H2D39
Leaf Aptus 17
Mamiya ZD

But if you hex-edit the makers' names in those DNGs, (Hasselblad > HHHHHHHH; Leaf > LLLL; Mamiya > MMMMMM; or other strings of the right length), they are supported by version 4, although they don't have their own profiles other than the one embedded by Adobe in the DNGs.

As far as I can tell, Phase One had to implement EXTRA code to avoid supporting those cameras via the DNG route!

Barry Pearson

C4.0 beta is ready
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2007, 12:12:09 pm »

That is nice to learn Barry.  Did you notice anything particular about the quality of those TIFFs coming out of C1?  Are they any good?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136887\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not qualified to say. They looked good to me, (compared with my Pentax K10D!), but I don't use larger-format cameras/backs, and wouldn't spot anything subtle.

(I was initially investigating how well Capture One supported DNG generally, not how well it supported particular cameras. I haven't yet compared it with ACR or Lightroom for my K10D).

MarkWelsh

C4.0 beta is ready
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2007, 02:00:46 pm »

Deeply disappointing. I seem to be in the minority here, but I find the LR/Aperture-style interface abysmal: flat out misconceived and badly designed. Icons too small, insufficient contrast for clear signposting, and wasteful ergonomically. C1 is/used to be a model of clarity and purposefulness.

Apart from the timely abandonment of v3's Byzantine Sessions, this seems to be a downgrade in almost every way. It looks terrible, it's horrible to use and crucially it fails to add the CA and distortion correction tools now present in all its competitors.

The DR tool is a step in the right direction but everything else is bad: it's slower, uglier, not significantly better featured, and generally seems to be doing its best to encourage users to switch to  Lightroom or even SilkyPix.

And they've promised no ZD support. This is one upgrade I'll be trying very hard to avoid. Forever.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 02:01:09 pm by MarkWelsh »

bcroslin

• http://www.bobcroslin.com
C4.0 beta is ready
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2007, 05:39:21 pm »

And they've promised no ZD support.
Any reason why? Is Phase pissed someone dropped a 36x48mm back for under $10k?

I'm sure it's that the ZD back is just too inferior to support. </sarcasm>
Bob Croslin, Photographer
[url=http://ww

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
C4.0 beta is ready
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2007, 08:27:04 pm »

crucially it fails to add the CA and distortion correction tools now present in all its competitors.

Mark

I've read a posting or two from Phase people,on the Phase User forums,that state that
this beta is from the 'lite' version. Some of the features missing will be present in the
Pro version when it is released some time in the future.

MT

MarkWelsh

C4.0 beta is ready
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2007, 06:25:26 am »

Mark

I've read a posting or two from Phase people,on the Phase User forums,that state that
this beta is from the 'lite' version. Some of the features missing will be present in the
Pro version when it is released some time in the future.

MT
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137134\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That would tick me off, too!

narikin

C4.0 beta is ready
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2007, 09:00:36 am »

they clearly say that this Beta is a replacement for Capture One LE.
thats LE - as in the lower priced general use version.

expect the Pro 4.0 to have extra features... some of which they are keeping under wraps at present.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
C4.0 beta is ready
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2007, 10:01:18 am »

Does the current LE 4.0 beta have arbitrary rotation?

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Henry Goh

C4.0 beta is ready
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2007, 10:07:12 am »

Does the current LE 4.0 beta have arbitrary rotation?

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137687\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

YES
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up