Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3800: Tiny, Random Red Dots???  (Read 3825 times)

ron ritcher

3800: Tiny, Random Red Dots???
« on: August 29, 2007, 11:36:25 pm »

I am a very sporadic printer with my 3800 (maybe averaging one 13x19 a week).  I've run several 4x6 test shots recently, switching back and forth between matte and photo black.  With the rag papers, I've noticed a few small red (magenta?) dots randomly landing on many tests.  There doesn't seem to be a definite pattern regarding where on the paper they land, and I don't recall seeing ANY on the semi-matte papers I've used with the photo-black ink.

Any clues?  I've tried adjusting the platen width to "wide", however it seems to want to default back to normal, so I can't vouch for the width on these test prints.  Also, no head-clogs are obvious, according to the testing I've done.

So far, I haven't ruined a full-sized print, but it seems to be just a matter of time! Help anyone???  Thanks . . .

--Ron

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 07:37:58 am »

If you set the Platen Gap via the software driver (Advanced -> Paper Config -> Platen Gap) then the settings shouldn't revert. Plus, you can save a preset in the driver with your preferred Platen Gap value (I use Wide for almost everything).

Most rag papers should be fed through the Rear Feed, unless you're using a thinner variety. And if you're going through the Rear Feed, you need to be using at least 8" x 10". But you mention 4" x 6" so it sounds like you're using the Auto Sheet Feed, and hence probably the Enhanced Matte or Archival Matte Media Type setting in the driver. These Media Types' Platen Gap default to pretty small (same with Paper Thickness -- make sure to set this appropriately) since Enhanced Matte is very thin. So if you're using a thick rag paper definitely try setting the PG to Wide.

Aside from that, try running an automatic head alignment (initiated from the printer itself, not the software driver -- see page 87 of the manual) and an auto nozzle check (not a manual nozzle check).
Eric Chan

ron ritcher

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 12:34:48 am »

Thanks, Eric--

I didn't express myself terribly well.  The 4x6 shots were grouped onto 11x14 paper (or whatever lefover stuff I had lying around) and printed through IP  -- and run through the rear feed slot, so small sheets wouldn't be the issue.

But that raises a question I've wondered about:  do settings made with the driver through PS have any influence on IP's performance?  Assuming that ImagePrint must supercede setting elsewhere, I never go through the "Print Setup" procedure in Photoshop prior to heading right to IP -- am I missing something?

Since you were kind enough to respond, may I ask another question?  You referred to manual AND auto nozzle checks -- I WILL check the owner booklet, but what's the difference?  What am I doing when I work through the buttons atop my 3800?  Thanks in advance!

--Ron

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 08:13:07 am »

But that raises a question I've wondered about:  do settings made with the driver through PS have any influence on IP's performance?  Assuming that ImagePrint must supercede setting elsewhere, I never go through the "Print Setup" procedure in Photoshop prior to heading right to IP -- am I missing something?

No. ImagePrint completely bypasses the standard Epson driver, and its page setup controls are completely independent of Photoshop's print settings, page setup, etc. So (in principle) any driver setup you have made via PS in the past should have no bearing on how ImagePrint performs its own printing.

(I assume you're using ImagePrint's standalone application for printing?)

By the way, if you print the exact same image twice ... do the random magenta dots show up in the same place? Or is it really randomized? Also, if you print the same image through Photoshop instead of IP, do you have the same problems?

Since you were kind enough to respond, may I ask another question?  You referred to manual AND auto nozzle checks -- I WILL check the owner booklet, but what's the difference?  What am I doing when I work through the buttons atop my 3800? 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136487\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The manual nozzle check prints out a line pattern, one small line segment per nozzle, for you to inspect. If there are any line segments missing, then a nozzle is blocked and a head cleaning is required. It can be difficult to see the lines sometimes, especially the Light Light Black and Yellow ones, so it may be necessary to use a loupe. The auto nozzle check prints a slightly different pattern, more of a checkerboard. Again, each patch is for a single nozzle. The difference here is that the printer itself will then roll back the sheet and inspect the sheet using a white beam, to determine itself if any of the checkerboard patches are missing. In other words, instead of you examining the sheet for problems, the printer performs the inspection itself. And, if the printer finds any problems, then it will automatically initiate its own head cleaning. And it will continue to clean until the checkerboard prints out with no problems.
Eric Chan

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 12:12:40 pm »

Sporadic droplets for me is a sure sign of a hair or dust fibre on the head or around the head area. It bleeds some ink then with the vibrations it splatters a little drop usually around the area where there is an abrubt movement, like the left side of the carriage travel, or stops between prints on batch printing.

ron ritcher

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 01:15:59 pm »

AH-HA!  Thanks Neil!  I think you've nailed it.  My cat LOVES to lie atop the 3800, and even though I have it covered with a pillow case, there's a really good chance that hair/dust is getting in somewhere.  So, how to remove it???  What can and can't I dismantle, and where would I shoot some air blasts, assuming that would even be the way to go?  Again, thank you!  (and by the way, I haven't printed enough test images yet to determine if the "randomness" really is, or if the dots appear in the same places each time -- but I'll check)

Thanks, Eric, for your thorough expanation.  I've been doing the manual checks all-along (and with my 2200, which needed them often).  Is there a preferred method?  And while I'm issuing thank-you's, your blog is GREAT -- very selfless and generous of you!

--Ron

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 01:37:24 pm »

You're welcome. Eric is the super Epson guy, I'm your humble servant for HP....
Sharing knowledge is rewarding when we receive nice comments from people like you.

On the HP pigment printers cleaning cat hair is easy, just take the head out and wipe with distilled water and Q-Tips. Epson you have to put a wet paper towel in the print path or at the park position but Eric will know more.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 02:32:28 pm »

Hi Ron, unfortunately I don't know the best way to clean the head of the 3800. Conceptually, the idea is to unlock the print head (so that it's free to move), slide it to a position where you can access the nozzles, and then wipe the area using a soft cloth. Page 100 of the Epson 3800 printer guide/manual has some general advice for cleaning the inside of the printer, though I don't know if it will help your specific issue. You could try it, and if it doesn't help, I think it would be best to give Epson Support a call. They would probably have more specific advice for treating this issue. Be sure to let them know there's probably some dust/hair near the print head and that'll help them tell you what to do.
Eric Chan

ron ritcher

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 03:43:55 pm »

Much appreciated, Guys!!

--Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up