Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sanity check: any reason not to get Z3100 non-ps?  (Read 2087 times)

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
Sanity check: any reason not to get Z3100 non-ps?
« on: August 29, 2007, 05:06:45 pm »

Hello,

Is there any reason not to get a HP Z3100 non-ps?  A dealer has a demo at reduced price (-$700), full warranty. A colleague of mine has one and I have a sample print from his.

I am an amatuer photographer, doing general photography and not knowing where it is heading. In between surfing photography forums, I am a consulting mechanical engineer, using Solidworks. HP says I can use the non-postscript version for Solidworks (correct?). I would enjoy printing on different materials, both color and B&W.  A consideration for myself is that I have color-blindness in the greens, and it takes me effort to deal with.  I am currently using a 5D, and a carefully chosen & cared for set of Canon and Zeiss lenses (will trade it all if my needs change). I don't hardly do vector output like labels, and have no need to print from Illustrator at this time. I wonder if I got the non-postscript version if there is a way to output a vector to a fixed size (PDF?) and print it. That would only come into play if somehow I started printed advertisement.

Photography is not my job, and so the printer will sit idle at times and then used in spurts.

Thanks, trying to decide ASAP.  Ralph

mballent

• http://www.ballentphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 05:41:18 pm »

Hello,

Is there any reason not to get a HP Z3100 non-ps?  A dealer has a demo at reduced price (-$700), full warranty. A colleague of mine has one and I have a sample print from his.

I am an amatuer photographer, doing general photography and not knowing where it is heading. In between surfing photography forums, I am a consulting mechanical engineer, using Solidworks. HP says I can use the non-postscript version for Solidworks (correct?). I would enjoy printing on different materials, both color and B&W.  A consideration for myself is that I have color-blindness in the greens, and it takes me effort to deal with.  I am currently using a 5D, and a carefully chosen & cared for set of Canon and Zeiss lenses (will trade it all if my needs change). I don't hardly do vector output like labels, and have no need to print from Illustrator at this time. I wonder if I got the non-postscript version if there is a way to output a vector to a fixed size (PDF?) and print it. That would only come into play if somehow I started printed advertisement.

Photography is not my job, and so the printer will sit idle at times and then used in spurts.

Thanks, trying to decide ASAP.  Ralph
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136248\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have not tried printing a pdf from my printer, but I would assume that it would not look very good...  I bought my printer primarily for printing photographs, but with that being said if HP said that there would be no problem (and I would get that in writing) I do not see the reason not to jump on getting the demo model.
-Michael
[url=http://www.ballentphoto.co

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 06:10:51 pm »

Thanks for the reply,

The whole postscript question was really a contingency to see if there was a workaround if I ever wanted it, but I'm pretty sure that I won't.

However, I am going to shy away from this one (I was verbally quoted $3200 shipped).  Anyway, I know this isn't a buy/sell forum.  The price is indeed tempting, but then we all know you get what you pay for.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 04:56:16 pm by reburns »
Pages: [1]   Go Up