Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smearing of images  (Read 4006 times)

jing q

• we are super
Smearing of images
« on: August 28, 2007, 12:02:40 pm »

anyone notice this sort of smearing when processing their files with the manufacturer's software?These files were processed in Flexcolor (H39)

thought it was just a Flexcolor thing until today, was looking at a Leaf demo and noticed  a similar smeared look on smaller details when processed in Leaf software

Strangely enough when processed in ACR the problem seems minimised. I'm not sure exactly how badly this affects big prints, but it gives a watercolored look to the image.

anyone have similar experiences? Or am I being too anal

Bernd B.

Smearing of images
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 03:32:22 pm »

I don´t really understand the problem. Do you mean the contrast doesn´t reach until a real black point? Maybe it`s some kind of backlight. Do you use a lens hood? Are your lenses clean (even inside)? Could you solve it by simply setting the black point a little higher?

ronno

Smearing of images
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 03:54:42 pm »

Looks like noise reduction to me...

jing q

• we are super
Smearing of images
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 09:48:25 pm »

I don´t really understand the problem. Do you mean the contrast doesn´t reach until a real black point? Maybe it`s some kind of backlight. Do you use a lens hood? Are your lenses clean (even inside)? Could you solve it by simply setting the black point a little higher?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136033\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

look at the texture on the leaves. they look almost like watercolors. I see the same effect on skin texture sometimes too. this is without any sharpening or noise reduction. somehow this problem doesn't occur when processing with ACR though

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Smearing of images
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 09:55:45 pm »

I used a H39 for a shoot recently and I was completely underwhelmed by the quality in low light levels. Very water colour like and lacking in fine detail - smeary pixels is about the right description.  Maybe it is overly severe Noise Reduction that's causing the issue. Mind you FlexColour seems more like a Beta than a version 4 programme. Can't see myself rushing out and spending £20,000/£40,000 on one any time soon after that poor show.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jing q

• we are super
Smearing of images
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 10:02:47 pm »

I used a H39 for a shoot recently and I was completely underwhelmed by the quality in low light levels. Very water colour like and lacking in fine detail - smeary pixels is about the right description.  Maybe it is overly severe Noise Reduction that's causing the issue. Mind you FlexColour seems more like a Beta than a version 4 programme. Can't see myself rushing out and spending £20,000/£40,000 on one any time soon after that poor show.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136094\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

strangely enough I saw a similar problem on a Leaf back.before I'm running out to plunk some cash on a Leaf I want to see if I'm the only person who's seeing this.
Any Phase One users experiencing this?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Smearing of images
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 11:47:16 pm »

You might want to try converting these raw files with Raw Developper.

Regards,
Bernard

josayeruk

Smearing of images
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 02:58:38 am »

What ISO is the above image at?

Marsupilami

Smearing of images
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 03:41:19 am »

smearing is a nasty thing but common to digital cameras.  I call it the "Monet effect" which seems like a mixture of some factors like not accurate focus, slow shutter speed handheld, "wrong" aperture or hazy air (in combination with tele). But there is a big part involved which is just pure mystery for me. One thing is, that the missing anti aliasing filter in the Mamiya ZD might be a reason for the clear files of that camera in comparison to other digital cameras.

http://www.christianhandl.com/Unterebene1/smearing.htm

http://www.christianhandl.com/Unterebene1/...gleichZD_5D.htm

Christian

jing q

• we are super
Smearing of images
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 08:32:26 am »

What ISO is the above image at?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136120\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I believe 100 ISO
btw like I said this effect is not limited to digital SLRs, I'm seeing this on H39 and Leaf backs. it's like some sort of digital grain pattern.

yes I should try raw developer...

josayeruk

Smearing of images
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 08:35:48 am »

I believe 100 ISO
btw like I said this effect is not limited to digital SLRs, I'm seeing this on H39 and Leaf backs. it's like some sort of digital grain pattern.

yes I should try raw developer...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136154\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Looks more like 400 ISO to me.

No way would I expect that off my H2D at 100.

Jo S.x

jing q

• we are super
Smearing of images
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 08:42:41 am »

Looks more like 400 ISO to me.

No way would I expect that off my H2D at 100.

Jo S.x
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136155\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

well that was a year back so maybe it's improved since then...will be testing the leaf 75S this weekend so let's see whether I get this thing happening again. Are you using flexcolor for your h2d?

josayeruk

Smearing of images
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 09:07:23 am »

well that was a year back so maybe it's improved since then...will be testing the leaf 75S this weekend so let's see whether I get this thing happening again. Are you using flexcolor for your h2d?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136157\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A year back!!

Wow - there has definitely been major advancements since then!

Don't base your opinions on any digital back that long ago (well in digital terms I guess it long!).

You should be working with the latest.

Yes, I use FlexColor.

Jo S.x
Pages: [1]   Go Up