Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Imacon Backs  (Read 17137 times)

Henry Goh

Imacon Backs
« on: August 27, 2007, 07:38:19 am »

Anyone have experience with them?  How is IQ?  Any major issues known?  Wanting to use them with V series Hasselblads.  Any thing that I should take note of?  Thanks for any inputs.

ixpressraf

Imacon Backs
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 12:34:40 pm »

They are great. I am still using my 384C back and ever since i use the latest flexcolor verion IQ is as good as any other recent back. Even high iso is perfect ( for an older back). The nice thing is that i can use it on whatever camera i like because of the I-adapters. Flexcolor is probably the best converter there is! (but is completely mis-understood by most people.) This software is basic, easy to use but does the job as it is supposed to.
Just go for it.
I was trying to sell my 384 back but with no succes.... until I realised that for pack-shots, small printing stuff i don't need 39Mp, so now i am using the back almost every day again.

Henry Goh

Imacon Backs
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 12:45:40 pm »

They are great. I am still using my 384C back and ever since i use the latest flexcolor verion IQ is as good as any other recent back. Even high iso is perfect ( for an older back). The nice thing is that i can use it on whatever camera i like because of the I-adapters. Flexcolor is probably the best converter there is! (but is completely mis-understood by most people.) This software is basic, easy to use but does the job as it is supposed to.
Just go for it.
I was trying to sell my 384 back but with no succes.... until I realised that for pack-shots, small printing stuff i don't need 39Mp, so now i am using the back almost every day again.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135788\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.  Any chance of seeing some files, even RAWs??  Really encouraging for me because I only need to use in the studio for shooting small products.

Regards,

Henry

ixpressraf

Imacon Backs
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 01:19:42 pm »

I have an example that i made for potential buyers. it shows the difference between one/multi and microstep. In multi and microstep, quality is already better than the recent 39Mp backs because no information is interpolated. Every pixel and color is recorded. Therefore, whenever you should find such a multishot back, goi for it. But also in one-shot, an imacon delivers perfect quality. Al those stories about inferior colour and IQ was thrue in the past millenium, with flexcolor 1 and their first backs. But even very old back's do perform very good when used with latest flexcolor versions, and without the need for an expensive upgrade such as needed with other brands.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 01:37:29 pm by ixpressraf »

Henry Goh

Imacon Backs
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 01:22:52 pm »

I have an example that i made for potential buyers. it shows the difference between one/multi and microstep.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135798\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you very much.  I really have to go look closely at Imacon as more and more people sell off the old backs to upgrade.

Henry

alexjones

• http://www.alexrjones.com
Imacon Backs
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 05:13:02 pm »

Hi,

I have an Imacon 132c that has been the most reliable piece of hardware that I have ever owned.  I really can't say enough good about it.  If you want any raw files let me know and I can share some with you.  Send me an email via the contact page on my site if you like.  There is even a forum for users headed up by Nick T which has been a good resource to have.  The tech support has been excellent as well.  All around a good experience.  I am in the process of upgrading to the CF39 shortly.

Alex Jones, Digital Tech Pittsburgh PA

http://www.alexrjones.com/alexrjones/contact.html

psp

Imacon Backs
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 06:09:07 pm »

Highly recommend the Imacon/Hasselblad backs....

My 384 has been a workhorse over the past 4 years, and I second what Alex says... (Alex, are you getting the multi shot 39M?)

Peter.

http://peterschafrick.com/

Henry Goh

Imacon Backs
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 06:32:12 pm »

Hi,

I have an Imacon 132c that has been the most reliable piece of hardware that I have ever owned.  I really can't say enough good about it.  If you want any raw files let me know and I can share some with you.  Send me an email via the contact page on my site if you like.  There is even a forum for users headed up by Nick T which has been a good resource to have.  The tech support has been excellent as well.  All around a good experience.  I am in the process of upgrading to the CF39 shortly.

Alex Jones, Digital Tech Pittsburgh PA

http://www.alexrjones.com/alexrjones/contact.html
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135838\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Alex.  Shot off an email to you.

Henry

Henry Goh

Imacon Backs
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 06:33:02 pm »

Highly recommend the Imacon/Hasselblad backs....

My 384 has been a workhorse over the past 4 years, and I second what Alex says... (Alex, are you getting the multi shot 39M?)
Peter.
http://peterschafrick.com/
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135848\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Great to hear Peter.  Love your images too.

Henry

ixpressraf

Imacon Backs
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 06:38:23 pm »

Hi Henry,
What back are you looking for ???
Best regards, raf

Henry Goh

Imacon Backs
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 07:12:53 pm »

Hi Henry,
What back are you looking for ???
Best regards, raf
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135854\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

raf,

No particular brand but around 22Mp would be sufficient for me.  Prefer to use on Hasselblad V system since I have 3 bodies and a few lenses to start with.  I'll move to newer backs / platform later when prices are less crazy, I guess.

Henry

psp

Imacon Backs
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 07:28:30 pm »

raf,

No particular brand but around 22Mp would be sufficient for me.  Prefer to use on Hasselblad V system since I have 3 bodies and a few lenses to start with.  I'll move to newer backs / platform later when prices are less crazy, I guess.

Henry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135857\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's a good start into digital using the V series camera and backs. That's how I began my leap into digital.

I can say that going into a 'more digital' system will make a noticeable difference as well. Eg: The H lenses are wonderful. The zoom is especially great - in fact, better than some of the H primes! I'd suggest using a 22MP Imacon back on your V series for a while, then upgrading to an H system. Makes for a very good migration path and will provide you with some nifty features once the entire system is integrated.

Perhaps a call to a reputable dealer may provide you with a lead on some used/refurbished gear......

Cheers!

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Imacon Backs
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 02:00:04 am »

That's a good start into digital using the V series camera and backs. That's how I began my leap into digital.

I can say that going into a 'more digital' system will make a noticeable difference as well. Eg: The H lenses are wonderful. The zoom is especially great - in fact, better than some of the H primes! I'd suggest using a 22MP Imacon back on your V series for a while, then upgrading to an H system. Makes for a very good migration path and will provide you with some nifty features once the entire system is integrated.

Perhaps a call to a reputable dealer may provide you with a lead on some used/refurbished gear......
Cheers!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135861\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Peter,

What  primes do you consider inferior to the 50-110zoom? I am building my H system currently and was skipping on the zoom. I virtually never use zooms, the 50-110 also seemed so big and heavy to me.

psp

Imacon Backs
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 09:54:42 am »

Peter,

What  primes do you consider inferior to the 50-110zoom? I am building my H system currently and was skipping on the zoom. I virtually never use zooms, the 50-110 also seemed so big and heavy to me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135904\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's better than the 50mm prime, 80 and 100 in my opinion, and at least as good as all the other primes. With an extension tube, I saw no difference between the zoom and the 120 macro.... although the macro is a very very nice lens, especially for close-up/extreme/close-up work.

It's not for everyone, since it is, like you say, very heavy. I shoot exclusively in studio, so the camera/lens remains on the studio stands at all times. It's very versatile and very sharp. Shooting hand-held with the zoom would be very tiring indeed, but you'll certainly build up some muscle!

Cheers!!

Peter.

erikhillard

Imacon Backs
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 10:32:29 am »

Sorry Peter but I respectfully disagree with your opinion of the zoom.  Maybe its because we use rental lenses and they get a bit harder use, but we have not had great experience with the H zoom lens.  It could be related to its size (we call it the pineapple) and photographers having a hard time hand holding such a beast.

Erik Hillard  Running Pixels [url=http:

LA30

Imacon Backs
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 10:38:59 am »

Sorry Peter but I respectfully disagree with your opinion of the zoom.  Maybe its because we use rental lenses and they get a bit harder use, but we have not had great experience with the H zoom lens.  It could be related to its size (we call it the pineapple) and photographers having a hard time hand holding such a beast.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135953\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The H2 with the 120 is enough of a workout hand holding (get the hand strap!!!)  I wouldn't hand hold the zoom for more than 2 shots a day.

Ken

psp

Imacon Backs
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 10:50:21 am »

Sorry Peter but I respectfully disagree with your opinion of the zoom.  Maybe its because we use rental lenses and they get a bit harder use, but we have not had great experience with the H zoom lens.  It could be related to its size (we call it the pineapple) and photographers having a hard time hand holding such a beast.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135953\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's what I said - or was trying to say - I would not use it for shooting hand-held.

But the quality of the lens is superb.

Cheers!

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Imacon Backs
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 11:59:14 am »

Thanks for the responses.

I will be handholding the H most of the time, in that case it seems logical to skip on the zoom. Besides that I find I have difficulties using zooms, not sure why. I just don't feel too comfortable using them. On the other hand, if the quality exceeds all the primes I will be using and I only need to buy just one lens instead of 3 or 4 I might need to consider it.

The range I will be using mostly is 80 - 120 close range to up to 5 meters. I was thinking to start with the 100/2.2.

psp

Imacon Backs
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 12:35:26 pm »

Thanks for the responses.

I will be handholding the H most of the time, in that case it seems logical to skip on the zoom. Besides that I find I have difficulties using zooms, not sure why. I just don't feel too comfortable using them. On the other hand, if the quality exceeds all the primes I will be using and I only need to buy just one lens instead of 3 or 4 I might need to consider it.

The range I will be using mostly is 80 - 120 close range to up to 5 meters. I was thinking to start with the 100/2.2.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135981\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The zoom is an exceptional lens, but not appropriate for all shooting styles. The quality does NOT exceed all primes. It's as good as some, a bit better than others. If you're hand holding the majority of the time, you'll probably find it will wear you out very quickly.

I would refer to the Hassleblad web site and look over the range of lenses to see which lens best suits your style and what you shoot most often - there's some good information there.

Good luck & enjoy!

Peter.

ixpressraf

Imacon Backs
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 12:52:54 pm »

The zoom is a fantastic lens. It prevents taking off the lens en getting dust on the sensor but is also very nice when shooting group-shots and then directly going to a close up. Short focussing is really outstanding with the zoom. As said, the extention tube does a perfect job, so good that i did not order the macro lens( and also because with the macro you are limited to 120mm) Best is to get the two smallest tubes for general purposes.
I really love my 100mm 2,2 but also never underestimate the 80mm.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up