Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Female Posters  (Read 31116 times)

pobrien3

Female Posters
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2007, 08:09:59 pm »

Ray

Female Posters
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2007, 01:17:47 am »

Are we making progress? Three pages and no mention of photography yet. Must be getting close, but don't rush it.  

Rob C

Female Posters
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2007, 05:06:13 am »

Are we making progress? Three pages and no mention of photography yet. Must be getting close, but don't rush it. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139063\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ray, Rome wasn´t built in a day!

Ciao - Rob C

Chris_T

Female Posters
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2007, 08:14:42 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139063\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't hold your breathe. It proves (?!) that given two topics, men are more interested in talking about women (and thier shoes) than about photography (or anything else, except perhaps football).  

pixelpro

• http://
Female Posters
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2007, 05:16:44 pm »

"the need to hide identity a little strange, but not surprising"
I have had the dreaded unsolicited e-mails from countries far away and I attributed this to my online identity. It was 'orrible. I can fully understand anyone wanting to avoid situations like this.

"if one did hold a door for a woman she might just as easily be offended and give one a mouthful"
In my town 70,000 strong, everyone hold doors open for everyone else. If you are going through the door and someone is less then 15m you just wait and hand the door over. Old people, young people, men, women no matter! Everyone does it. This way we know who's new in town or just visiting. I personally am very proud of this tradition in a world increasing bad manners. Jennifer

AWeil

• http://www.awl-photo.com
Female Posters
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2007, 06:47:52 pm »

What was this thread about? Females, photography and posting on boards like this?
Who cares about gender when it comes to photography? What do you expect, Rob?
Small hands on a Nikon D3 (far too heavy and too large for us - considering our fragile frames and limited reach), the female perspective on landscape (we like a little more pink in the highlights, please no rough edges and do include a baby animal appearing to be lost) or posts of bewildered questions like 'Why RAW when MEDIUM would do just fine'?
Rob, we take snapshots with our cell-phones from the kitchen window after we are done with all the cleaning. Well, and then we are just too exhausted to post. :-))
Angela

Rob C

Female Posters
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2007, 10:38:44 am »

Dear me, Angela, you sound as if you have a pretty drastic time of it, quite unlike the s´n´s style which I thought was the new order!

Jokes aside, I think that the reason might be more to do with women using their artistic skills in far more practical directions. I fancy myself as having pretty good colour vision, but I think my wife´s is superior; I have few outlets for visual creativity other than photography - women can exercise theirs in the home or even in the office, given the chance, turning cubes into rooms.

Perhaps it´s to do with spare time, as has been suggested, but then how do you account for Sarah Moon, who moved seamlessly from modelling to photography and went on to become one of the most imitated stars in that firmament; Diane Arbus, flawed as hell in my opinion, but prolific nonetheless?

I guess that in the end it´s mostly to do with compulsion (inner) and the choices perhaps really being greater for men, but that would perhaps have once applied mostly in the professional field and I´d imagine that the LuLa is mainly an amateur´s heaven, not that that is meant to be any sort of derogatory remark, believe me, I´ve long abandoned the notion that all pros are better than all amateurs!  But that´s more something to do with women being professional photographers or not, and not really part of the original question of why they seem to post less.

One of life´s other great mysteries!

Ciao - Rob C

laughfta

Female Posters
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2007, 11:01:01 am »

why are there so few ladies making their presence felt here, on the glorious shores of the Luminous Landscape? Is it seen as a male preserve; is it too rude at times or are women just not that interested in photography?

Not enough options here, Rob.

I am  photographer, a woman, and I post occasionally. I don't always sign my name, mainly because I don't want to emphasize gender. It is a distraction to some people who post here, and in identifying gender one runs the risk of threads going off topic and consequently being diluted by nonsense.  No mystery there!

Gloria

www.smallmysteries.com

Rob C

Female Posters
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2007, 06:02:18 am »

Not enough options here, Rob.

I am  photographer, a woman, and I post occasionally. I don't always sign my name, mainly because I don't want to emphasize gender. It is a distraction to some people who post here, and in identifying gender one runs the risk of threads going off topic and consequently being diluted by nonsense.  No mystery there!

Gloria

www.smallmysteries.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139404\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I take your point, Gloria, but at the same time I wonder why gender should be assumed to derail topics; it might well happen, but as I have no way of knowing where any thread MIGHT have gone, gender identification is still something of an unknown factor in respect of how it might affect something on a relatively serious site such as this one.

I have sympathy with those who feel that identification might open the door to unwanted communication from unknown people; perhaps that´s all that one needs to know, really, and we should all seek the protection of an aka! Yet, I have a feeling that posts written under a disguise are perhaps less valid in respect of content than those where the writer feels able to name his name - but yes, in the end, it´s better for people to use fake IDs than not post at all!

Ciao - Rob C

Ray

Female Posters
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2007, 11:55:47 am »

I've always thought it a reasonable proposition that women are just as capable as men in left brain activities, although the percentages may be different and cultural influences no doubt contribute to this.

People tend to be assigned gender specific roles that sometimes (perhaps often) may conflict with the individual's true talents.

Nevertheless, I have to say that when reading comments on other forums that are not about photography, and which have a 'female' section, the conversation tends to centre around hair removal, shopping, shoes, and how to entrap the perfect man.  

Rob C

Female Posters
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2007, 03:36:41 pm »

Well don´t keep all this information to yourself, Ray, tell us where these delightful sites might be!

Come to think of it, perhaps my own concerns aren´t a hundred miles away from that: worried about hair loss; desperate to find new ways to avoid shopping; never found myself the obvious target of entrapment - perhaps it was just too subtle for me to realise!
Oh well, c´est la vie...

Rob C

pixelpro

Female Posters
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2007, 07:17:37 pm »

Angela "after we are done with all the cleaning" too exhausted to post......

I make it a habit of doing housework / cleaning after I have done my day of shooting. The light and the images don't wait. Housework can be done when the sun goes down. In my house its shared 50/50 anyway.

I don't post that much I suppose because in the evenings I do my digital post production routine, grapple with The DAM Book and other routines connected to good digital housekeeping. I then try to keyword and sort images out in the hope I can dispatch them to a stock site.

Perhaps there are more men with cameras than women in the first instance and this is why there ar less female posters. Here's a suggestion for all you guys concerned with this.....buy your wives, girlfriends, mothers and sisters cameras and point them in the direction of LL.

pixelpro

Female Posters
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2007, 07:33:23 pm »

Ray "
"I've always thought it a reasonable proposition that women are just as capable as men in left brain activities, although the percentages may be different and cultural influences"

Women are just as capable as men when it comes to photography. I believe that as a woman.
I don't feel any different to any male poster or photographer about my passion for photography.
Women can be technologically adept and adventurous too when it comes to the computer side of digital photography. I think that the reason women lag behind men is due to the way the household finances are split. Men perhaps make their hobbies and interests a priority for their lives where  women are perhaps using their portion on children because of their more altruistic nature.

As a woman I am proud to say I don't lag behing in technology. My computers and software are all supported by myself and my able partner at home. It is about eighteen years now that I have not called for outside help for my computers.

Ray

Female Posters
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2007, 03:46:58 am »

As a woman I am proud to say I don't lag behing in technology. My computers and software are all supported by myself and my able partner at home. It is about eighteen years now that I have not called for outside help for my computers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139850\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well done! I never doubted it for a moment.  

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Female Posters
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2007, 10:21:52 am »

Some of this discussion reminds me of my experience teaching a college math course back in the '70s. Back then, it was "common knowledge" that men were better at math (and anything technical) than women. But in my classes typically some of the men were noisy and boisterous (aggressively asserting their "top dog" status), when there were typically a few women who sat quietly, keeping their mouths shut.

But when it came to exam time, the best women consistently outperformed the best men. It was interesting to me to watch this quiet cultural revolution taking place.

Perhaps some of the men today spend a lot of time pontificating on the LL forum while the women are out photographing.

Gotta go; my camera is calling . . .
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

azicit

• http://www.azicit.com
Female Posters
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2007, 02:26:13 pm »

Well...being British and female I can answer both questions.

Wellies are Wellington Boots - rubber rain boot

There are plenty of females on the boards...most choose unisex handles - some purposely some coincidentally

Mine is my website

AZ I C IT

(Arizona - as I see it)

OK, I'll bite. What are wellies?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136152\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 02:28:08 pm by azicit »

Rob C

Female Posters
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2007, 05:01:49 pm »

Well...being British and female I can answer both questions.

Wellies are Wellington Boots - rubber rain boot

There are plenty of females on the boards...most choose unisex handles - some purposely some coincidentally

Mine is my website

AZ I C IT

(Arizona - as I see it)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142469\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Love your website - great pics - added you to my Favourites list.

Ciao - Rob C

azicit

• http://www.azicit.com
Female Posters
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2007, 07:04:30 pm »

girly blush

Thanks

Love your website - great pics - added you to my Favourites list.

Ciao - Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142491\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 07:05:34 pm by azicit »

Diapositivo

Female Posters
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2007, 12:50:14 pm »

They're hanging out on the forums devoted to shoes!

When I saw your name I thought you may be a real woman with a clever nome du plume, Steelbird? Now I'm convinced, a man would never have thought of the above, and they are not sexist are they? Lol
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136612\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If I understand correctly, "Steelbird" is probably Italian, and certainly a man.

Fabrizio

PS Hint: "bird" in Italian has got a different meaning than in English. Guess which...  

Min

• http://www.MinEnghauser.com
Female Posters
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2007, 04:47:16 pm »

I just found this thread today...lots to read and very interesting.

when i was in college studing fine art/photog, about 1.5 hours from Wash DC, the photo classes were small...and mostly female...roughly 8 women and 2 or 3 men. was like that at the 4 year school and the community college before it. Always found that interesting.

I'm a fine art photog and digital do-er and in my day to day the men seem to get more attention with regards to being serious photogs or technically savvy. Often I am in disscussions with only men. Having said that however, at the art center to which i belong, the women are the majority, as in the co-op photo gallery of which im a memeber.

I typically post when looking to problem solve... so if the women dont post could one assume that its because they are doing just fine technically?

Do men post more questions or answers? Opinions or requests for opinions?

The topic is interesting because for years looking through Photo Tech Mag I always looked to see how many letters to the editor and Q&A's written by women were published...very few in comparison. How many womens names show up in the photoshop splash screen?

so maybe women seek as many answers but do it more personally, face to face, over the phone looking to people in their immediate surroundings or within their groups...?

Ive heard that women actually have more color receptors in their eyes than do men   ...making it possible for women to perceive and distinquish more colors and slight variations in color...

Min
(male or female name?)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up