Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Female Posters  (Read 31111 times)

picnic

Female Posters
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 08:36:15 am »

OK, I'll bite. What are wellies?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They are the British equivalent of knee high rubber gardening boots-traditionally green.  In truth, you can buy Wellies here (US) too, but over years of gardening in red clay in the SE, I found black rubber boots worn by dairy men worked about as well (bought at places like Southern State, a feed and agriculture store usually in more rural areas)--not with the status of the Wellies LOL--but they functioned okay.
[a href=\"http://www.wellie-boots.com/usmofcart/leisure.html]http://www.wellie-boots.com/usmofcart/leisure.html[/url]

Diane

Rob C

Female Posters
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 11:47:43 am »

They are the British equivalent of knee high rubber gardening boots-traditionally green.  In truth, you can buy Wellies here (US) too, but over years of gardening in red clay in the SE, I found black rubber boots worn by dairy men worked about as well (bought at places like Southern State, a feed and agriculture store usually in more rural areas)--not with the status of the Wellies LOL--but they functioned okay.
http://www.wellie-boots.com/usmofcart/leisure.html

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136156\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just goes to show, Diane, that roots go deep...

Rob C

dilip

Female Posters
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 02:47:10 pm »

I find that revolving doors pose a dilemma. I seem to have an urge to let others through first, out of politeness, but realize that this may mean that they are forced to make the exertion to start the doors rotating, a task that's sometimes not easy to do. So, am I doing them a favour by letting them go first or causing them grief?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136007\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Having seen this question asked before, I offer the following answer (which isn't mine).  Allow someone else to go on first, but if the revolving door isn't flsuh to the openning, give the door a push to ease the burden.

Personally I think that it's a bit much.  I lead through when the opportunity presents itself and provide enough momentum to make like easy for those behind me (without trying to get the door revolving at ridiculous rates).

--dilip

Rob C

Female Posters
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 03:52:16 pm »

Having seen this question asked before, I offer the following answer (which isn't mine).  Allow someone else to go on first, but if the revolving door isn't flsuh to the openning, give the door a push to ease the burden.

Personally I think that it's a bit much.  I lead through when the opportunity presents itself and provide enough momentum to make like easy for those behind me (without trying to get the door revolving at ridiculous rates).

--dilip
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136228\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In an attempt to stop this thread collapsing into bathos, may I suggest one use sliding doors instead?

Rob C

Chris_T

Female Posters
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 07:24:32 am »

Thanks. You guys across the pond talk funny...  

They are the British equivalent of knee high rubber gardening boots-traditionally green.  In truth, you can buy Wellies here (US) too, but over years of gardening in red clay in the SE, I found black rubber boots worn by dairy men worked about as well (bought at places like Southern State, a feed and agriculture store usually in more rural areas)--not with the status of the Wellies LOL--but they functioned okay.
http://www.wellie-boots.com/usmofcart/leisure.html

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136156\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

pobrien3

Female Posters
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 08:47:53 pm »

There's a history to why they're called 'wellies' - the boot originated from a style created by Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, being hard-wearing in battle yet comfortable for evening wear.  They're called 'Wellington Boots' to this day, often abbreviated to 'wellies'.  Don't get me started on BRITS talking funny...

iancl

• http://www.iancoxleigh.com
Female Posters
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 01:48:00 am »

Wellies are a type of boot. Short for Wellington's. Oops! Missed page two!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington_boot
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 01:49:15 am by iancl »

Rob C

Female Posters
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 07:16:16 am »

Wellies are a type of boot. Short for Wellington's. Oops! Missed page two!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington_boot
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136499\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Even better than the originals, they´re made of rubber and, had they been available to the good duke, might have kept his feet dry. But they sure give small boys rashes across the back of the calf..

Rob C

pixelpro

• http://
Female Posters
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2007, 02:15:41 pm »

"why are there so few ladies making their presence felt here"

I think you'll find this is a male dominated field of endeavour and that on some sites, not LL that I am aware of, they get a bit of a pace from the GOM (grumpy old men) on some similar sites. Maybe they do spend more time taking photographs and caring for the domestic arrangements for their families.

pixelpro

• http://
Female Posters
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2007, 02:20:02 pm »

They're hanging out on the forums devoted to shoes!

When I saw your name I thought you may be a real woman with a clever nome du plume, Steelbird? Now I'm convinced, a man would never have thought of the above, and they are not sexist are they? Lol

Rob C

Female Posters
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2007, 04:25:47 pm »

They're hanging out on the forums devoted to shoes!

When I saw your name I thought you may be a real woman with a clever nome du plume, Steelbird? Now I'm convinced, a man would never have thought of the above, and they are not sexist are they? Lol
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136612\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As almost always happens when I get into conversatios with women, I end up confused and hopelessly lost.

Reminds me of the death of Diana, PoW - they say her Mercedes was sent flying into a tunnel wall by a Fiat Panda. It may never have dared show itself in the USof A, the Panda, but it is really really small, as in tiny; actually, it´s made of folded paper. My point, unless I´ve lost it again, is that the physics/dynamics of that particular conspiracy theory are impossible: it would have been the Panda mixed up with the cement. Much more likely is that, IF there was anything more to the event than accident, the target wasn´t the dear lady at all: think of the other VIP passenger and it is easy to see that all manner of fundamentalist activist could have found cause to strike. And poor old Paris has more than its fair share.

Rob C
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 04:26:59 pm by Rob C »

gr82bart

• http://www.artliem.com
Female Posters
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2007, 05:40:01 pm »

My women friends who are photographers have summed it up in a couple thoughts:

1. These photography forums are filled with men who are prima donnas, spelling nazis, wise a$$es$, flamers, trolls and other generally machismo types who hide behind the internet.

2. Women are more into the art of photography rather than the technical geekery we men seem to dive into the minusha over.

3. They'd rather be taking pictures. Men like to one up each other on these forums.

Regards, Art.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 10:14:53 pm by gr82bart »
Visit my website at [url=http://www.gr82

Rob C

Female Posters
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2007, 06:23:37 am »

My women friends who are photographers have summed it up in a couple thoughts:

1. These photography forums are filled with men who are prima donnas, spelling nazis, wise a$$es$, flamers, trolls and other generally machismo types who hide behind the internet.

2. Women are more into the art of photography rather than the technical geekery we men seem to dive into the minusha over.

3. They'd rather be taking pictures. Men like to one up each other on these forums.

Regards, Art.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138251\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You´re lady friends are probably right: machismo is one of the saddest and most dangerous manifestations of male ego. I can´t think of anything that´s been made better because of it - we only get wars, bar-fights, sarcasm and general bullshit coming from it.

On the other hand, there is the definite advantage of the sporting outlet: it allows the TV channels to provide a constant diet of rubbish for the man-about-the-house who can lie on his couch, bottle in one hand and whatever else you might fear in the other, as he yells advice to those who cannot hear him, who despise him for his poverty as they cash his fan-cheques.

Tell me, have you seen anything more strange than a fully-grown man walking the street in a football club outfit? I have: a complete family of them at one time - granpa, son and grand-son, all in the full regalia complete with funny hats...

I really have to wonder what happens to make some men go that way. Perhaps nothing; perhaps some are born like that.

Rob C

pobrien3

Female Posters
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2007, 10:07:27 pm »

...dive into the minusha over... [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138251\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ah - just got it.  Been wondering what a minusha was - Wikipedia didn't have it.  Minutia

Goering the Speller

pobrien3

Female Posters
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2007, 10:13:13 pm »

Rob, being a Scouser by birth and upbringing (escaped three decades ago) I know exactly what you mean.  As a minor point for the defence though, the shell suit / sports attire from the discount shops is often the only affordable clothing for those in low income groups.  However, when I see evidently more affluent people wearing the stuff it makes me cringe and worry for my daughter's future.

Peter

Rob C

Female Posters
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2007, 01:03:46 pm »

Rob, being a Scouser by birth and upbringing (escaped three decades ago) I know exactly what you mean.  As a minor point for the defence though, the shell suit / sports attire from the discount shops is often the only affordable clothing for those in low income groups.  However, when I see evidently more affluent people wearing the stuff it makes me cringe and worry for my daughter's future.

Peter
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138553\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Peter

And I worry about that of two grand-daughters!

I´m not very sure about the football stuff being inexpensive - I have a feeling those teams screw their fan-base for all it´s worth. The particularl lot I referred to are Liverpool suppporters: bright red from top to toe - some sight, particularly when you include the ridiculous hats! Guess such sights are something you never missed. lo these three decades!

Ciao - Rob C

pobrien3

Female Posters
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2007, 08:38:51 pm »

The official kits and merchandise are expensive, but there are loads of cheap 'sportswear' shops all over places like Liverpool where you can equip the whole chav family in matching shell suits for just a few quid.

I don't miss Liverpool at all - if it wasn't for the inexplicable fact that my mother refuses to leave there I'd never set foot in the midden again!

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Female Posters
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2007, 04:11:05 am »

Ah - just got it.  Been wondering what a minusha was - Wikipedia didn't have it.  Minutia

Goering the Speller
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138551\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If we're going to be really fascistic about it, it's minutiae, since it's plural.

Jeremy

pobrien3

Female Posters
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2007, 05:16:21 am »

On re-reading I believe the original intent was indeed plural, so you are right,  I stand corrected my fellow nazi   Though I would argue that a preference for for use of language as for like what it was intended is not really deserving of comparison with an organised movement of socioeconomic control and suppression of opposition through intimidation and censorship.

Note position of tongue throughout here...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 05:16:56 am by pobrien3 »

Rob C

Female Posters
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2007, 05:42:23 am »

On re-reading I believe the original intent was indeed plural, so you are right,  I stand corrected my fellow nazi   Though I would argue that a preference for for use of language as for like what it was intended is not really deserving of comparison with an organised movement of socioeconomic control and suppression of opposition through intimidation and censorship.

Note position of tongue throughout here...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138827\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Peter, you are in grave danger of distancing more distaff members by such doubious references to your tongue.

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up