Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Utah Trip in Late September  (Read 4478 times)

vjbelle

Utah Trip in Late September
« on: August 25, 2007, 01:53:24 pm »

I am planning a trip to Utah in late September and early October and would appreciate any insights regarding lodging and days to spend in certain areas.  I will have nine days dedicated to shooting with the start in Moab and the end near Bryce.  I would like to include Arches, Dead Horse, Escalante, Kodachrome, Bryce, Capitol Reef - not necessarily in that order.  Am I best off going South from Moab on 191 towards Natural Bridges?  If I take that route are there places to stay along the way or do I have to get to Boulder?  I had thought of staying in Moab for 3 nights and then moving on.  Boulder, if I stay there, could be used as a staging point for Capitol Reef and surrounding area.  I would stay there for three nights.  The last three nights would be spent near Bryce.  Should I stay in Tropic or is Ruby's Inn worth it?  

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Victor

nma

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 03:21:50 pm »

I am planning a trip to Utah in late September and early October and would appreciate any insights regarding lodging and days to spend in certain areas.  I will have nine days dedicated to shooting with the start in Moab and the end near Bryce.  I would like to include Arches, Dead Horse, Escalante, Kodachrome, Bryce, Capitol Reef - not necessarily in that order.  Am I best off going South from Moab on 191 towards Natural Bridges?  If I take that route are there places to stay along the way or do I have to get to Boulder?  I had thought of staying in Moab for 3 nights and then moving on.  Boulder, if I stay there, could be used as a staging point for Capitol Reef and surrounding area.  I would stay there for three nights.  The last three nights would be spent near Bryce.  Should I stay in Tropic or is Ruby's Inn worth it? 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Victor
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Victor,

Do you have Laurent Martres' books "Photographing the Southwest?" These are essential, not expensive, and authoritative (unlike me).  That said, I think you should devote more time to the area around Moab. Yopur list barely scratches the surface.  It would be easy and rewarding to spend all nine days there, but you probably want to do a survey.  Bryce Canyon is, of course, beautiful, but I question if that would be wise to spend 3 days there, given the scenic riches along the way. Traveling from Capital Reef to Bryce is a wonder. Route 12 is arguably the most scenic road in the USA. As you mention, Kodachrome Basin and Escalante, you are aware of some of the possiblities. Martes will fill in these gaps, not only with shooting locations but also time of day and lens choices.
It is difficult to advise about detailed itenerary. Depending on your physical condition, the type of vehicle you are driving and your interests there are endless possibilities. Resist all suggestions of adding stops further afield, such as Monument Valley, etc. These are equally good, but you will spread yourself too thin if you try for too much.

Here's a link that may be useful.
[a href=\"http://www.photographamerica.com/issue52.pdf]http://www.photographamerica.com/issue52.pdf[/url]

We always stay at Ruby's Inn. Whether you think of it as kitsch or an ethnic experience, it is convenient and dependable, with a range of prices. It is a place to have meal and rest your head. It has the great advantage of being very close to the Park Entrance. For me that counts for a lot when it is pitch black in the hour before sunrise. Tropic is about 5 miles further away, on Route 12.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 04:11:11 pm by nma »

vandevanterSH

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 04:12:31 pm »

The Bryce Canyon Lodge, in the park, is nice but the first week of OCT is booked. Otherwise Ruby's, just outside of the park.  The lodge might have standby for cancellations.

Steve

bill proud

• http://www.billproudphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 04:32:55 pm »

Victor,

Natural Bridges is a difficult place to photograph as the rock is white and most everything sits below the surface rim. There is nowhere to lodge between Blanding and Hanksville and not much to photograph aside from House-On-Fire if you want the most recognizable sites.

A better route might be going back up to Green River from Moab and then down 24 to Hanksville and then to Torrey for lodging, or camping in the Capitol Reef Park. Temples of the Sun and Moon require a 4WD but are very spectacular views. It takes at least an hour from Torrey to Temple of the Sun for a sunrise, which is the best time to shoot it.

Route 12 from Torrey to Boulder and Escalante is both beautiful and somewhat slow. Great vistas that run through the Dixie National Forest and into red rock country. There are motels in Boulder and Escalante but not many rooms as I remember.  

good luck

vjbelle

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 06:28:02 pm »

Victor,

Do you have Laurent Martres' books "Photographing the Southwest?" These are essential, not expensive, and authoritative (unlike me).  That said, I think you should devote more time to the area around Moab. Yopur list barely scratches the surface.  It would be easy and rewarding to spend all nine days there, but you probably want to do a survey.  Bryce Canyon is, of course, beautiful, but I question if that would be wise to spend 3 days there, given the scenic riches along the way. Traveling from Capital Reef to Bryce is a wonder. Route 12 is arguably the most scenic road in the USA. As you mention, Kodachrome Basin and Escalante, you are aware of some of the possiblities. Martes will fill in these gaps, not only with shooting locations but also time of day and lens choices.
It is difficult to advise about detailed itenerary. Depending on your physical condition, the type of vehicle you are driving and your interests there are endless possibilities. Resist all suggestions of adding stops further afield, such as Monument Valley, etc. These are equally good, but you will spread yourself too thin if you try for too much.

Here's a link that may be useful.
http://www.photographamerica.com/issue52.pdf

We always stay at Ruby's Inn. Whether you think of it as kitsch or an ethnic experience, it is convenient and dependable, with a range of prices. It is a place to have meal and rest your head. It has the great advantage of being very close to the Park Entrance. For me that counts for a lot when it is pitch black in the hour before sunrise. Tropic is about 5 miles further away, on Route 12.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135481\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you for your suggestions..... I do not have Martres Books but will try to get them as soon as possible.  I really am very flexible regarding this trip and had wanted to try to take in the beauties in the Page area but that has to wait for another trip.  Your suggestions have been very helpful....

Victor

vjbelle

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 06:34:36 pm »

Victor,

Natural Bridges is a difficult place to photograph as the rock is white and most everything sits below the surface rim. There is nowhere to lodge between Blanding and Hanksville and not much to photograph aside from House-On-Fire if you want the most recognizable sites.

A better route might be going back up to Green River from Moab and then down 24 to Hanksville and then to Torrey for lodging, or camping in the Capitol Reef Park. Temples of the Sun and Moon require a 4WD but are very spectacular views. It takes at least an hour from Torrey to Temple of the Sun for a sunrise, which is the best time to shoot it.

Route 12 from Torrey to Boulder and Escalante is both beautiful and somewhat slow. Great vistas that run through the Dixie National Forest and into red rock country. There are motels in Boulder and Escalante but not many rooms as I remember.   

good luck
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135490\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bill,

I didn't know anything about 'Natural Bridges' and included it because it would have been on the way.  I had been looking for a place to stay in between Moab and Bryce so that I could then venture out for maybe an hour or two in any direction for photo opportunities.  That place really is the missing link......

Thank you for your suggestions.

Victor

Camboman

• http://www.pbase.com/camboman
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 10:23:47 pm »

You might want to try this place...
Motel in Hanksville
I stayed there back in May for 1 night. It's just a simple roadside motel near a little drive in restaurant. It's about 45 minutes from Goblin Valley in the San Rafael reef my Goblin Valley photos or about 20 minutes from Factory Butte and the Caineville Badlands more photos or less than hour from Capitol Reef NP.

There is also a place called the Caineville Cove in Caineville, but it looked closed when I was there.

Best wishes on your trip!

skibum187

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 12:43:20 pm »

If you're not camping while in Moab, I would suggest the Gonzo Inn

Win

• http://www.winpics.fototime.com
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 12:38:17 pm »

I think you've gotten some great advise so far. I'll just add my $.02. I'll recommend another book for people coming to SW Utah "Hiking the Colorado Plateau" by Michael Kelsey, a world of info.

Moab, will be great and 3 days will barely be enough. You'll need one day for Arches, one for Island in the Sky/ Dead Horse and the third to play around. You could go South and visit the Needles District. Fisher Towers were awesome at Sunset. We stayed at the
Red Cliffs Adventure Lodge on RT 128. Very nice!

From Moab to Bryce you should spend a nite in Torrey. I've used the Comfort Inn a few times and it's nice and clean. Stop at Goblin Valley on the way. If you have time do a short hike up Little Wildhorse Canyon, a nice adventure that can be an all day affair. We just hiked about an hour, very nice slot. Best restaraunt in Utah is in Torrey, Cafe Diablo!

Capitol Reef is really hard to accomplish in a day. I've really only done a couple of hikes there, mainly Grand Gulch.

The ride from CR to Boulder can be done by taking Hiway 12 or Notom/Bullfrog Rd along the Water Pocket fold. I'd recommend the latter and you'll come back out via the Burr Trail Rd, ending at RT 12 in Boulder. Notom/Bullfrog is dirt! car friendly, though.

Maybe a nite in Escalante with a side trip down Hole in the Rock Rd to Devils Garden.
Other more exciting adventures in that area just not sure how much hiking you want to do. It will be HOT!! "Hundred Hands" petroglyph site is a nice little hike right along RT12.
See the Martes book for info.

We recently spent a nite at Ruby's and the room was fine. The food there is simply awful! Visit Red Canyon just West of Bryce, the Pink Ledges Trail is short and you'll get a good feel for that canyon.

Have fun,
Win
Pages: [1]   Go Up