Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP B9180 16-bit printing and CS3  (Read 2193 times)

professorgb

HP B9180 16-bit printing and CS3
« on: August 25, 2007, 01:24:20 am »

While I realize that 16-bit printing typically doesn't improve the final print a lot, it can help under some circumstances (yes, I understand that this point is hotly debated in some quarters).  So, it's a bit annoying that HP doesn't plan to introduce a CS3 specific plug-in.  The CS2 plug-in supports 16-bit printing in a limited way, at least.

So, (1) Does the printing routine in CS3 allow for 16-bit printing on this printer?  If not, (2) can the CS2 plug-in be cajoled into printing 16-bit under CS3?  How?

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 03:52:04 am »

While I realize that 16-bit printing typically doesn't improve the final print a lot, it can help under some circumstances (yes, I understand that this point is hotly debated in some quarters).  So, it's a bit annoying that HP doesn't plan to introduce a CS3 specific plug-in.  The CS2 plug-in supports 16-bit printing in a limited way, at least.

So, (1) Does the printing routine in CS3 allow for 16-bit printing on this printer?  If not, (2) can the CS2 plug-in be cajoled into printing 16-bit under CS3?  How?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135384\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The 9180 accepts data sent to it or at least to be spooled in 16 bit format but is going to down sample that depth to 8 bit (system level limitation Windows XP or less, MacOsX.4 or less). The actual screening is done in full 16 bit if you use Maximum detail.
Both Vista and MacOsX.5 can pass 16 bit or more data streams so you'll have to wait and see if new drivers will fill this void or not. I don't think it's necessary for the 9180 in any case as the raw output of the screening is very smooth, and the gamut of the 9180 not large enough to insist 16bit data streams. For the Canon 5000 on up and the HP Z 3100 16 bit will be an advantage. The next Epson printer drivers do process at 16 bit making a difference in the shadows according to Joseph Holmes.

professorgb

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 01:19:59 pm »

Thanks for the info.  I had assumed that the color gamut for the 9180 was large enough to warrant 16-bit data streams.  I was fooled by the great prints, I guess.

The 9180 accepts data sent to it or at least to be spooled in 16 bit format but is going to down sample that depth to 8 bit (system level limitation Windows XP or less, MacOsX.4 or less). The actual screening is done in full 16 bit if you use Maximum detail.
Both Vista and MacOsX.5 can pass 16 bit or more data streams so you'll have to wait and see if new drivers will fill this void or not. I don't think it's necessary for the 9180 in any case as the raw output of the screening is very smooth, and the gamut of the 9180 not large enough to insist 16bit data streams. For the Canon 5000 on up and the HP Z 3100 16 bit will be an advantage. The next Epson printer drivers do process at 16 bit making a difference in the shadows according to Joseph Holmes.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135394\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up