Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keywords vs. Collections  (Read 2389 times)

jkphoto

• http://
Keywords vs. Collections
« on: August 24, 2007, 01:24:08 pm »

Hello,

I'm in the early stages of importing my photos into Lightroom and I'm looking for some suggestions on balancing keywords and collections.  I recognize that the keyword functionality is designed to categorize the photo and the collection functionality is designed to relate photo to others.  

For example, I have 'Water' as a keyword for any photo that contains water as a significant element.  This could easily be a collection and would essentially achieve the same end result in the Library thumbnail view.  But are there any performance benefits to favor one over the other?  Does one offer more flexibility than the other?  Which is easier to manage/maintain over time?  

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-James
Canon Digital Bits

monkeydeus

Keywords vs. Collections
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 01:39:55 pm »

I've posted this same question in multiple fora, and haven't gotten much of a response.  What finally made it click to me, is to think of collections as purpose driven - you can export a collection to a print job, to a web gallery, etc., and use them in ways you can't use just a collection of diverse images with the same keyword that are not part of a collection proper.  

Just as an organizational metaphor, I don't think there is much else to distinguish putting them in folder, using collections, using keywords, using catalogs.  It's whatever works for you, and beyond that, the subtly different functionality between a collection, and the other groups.  

Ultimately, I decided to stop worrying about, trusting it would make sense eventually as I use it.  HTH.

Hello,

I'm in the early stages of importing my photos into Lightroom and I'm looking for some suggestions on balancing keywords and collections.  I recognize that the keyword functionality is designed to categorize the photo and the collection functionality is designed to relate photo to others. 

For example, I have 'Water' as a keyword for any photo that contains water as a significant element.  This could easily be a collection and would essentially achieve the same end result in the Library thumbnail view.  But are there any performance benefits to favor one over the other?  Does one offer more flexibility than the other?  Which is easier to manage/maintain over time? 

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-James
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135294\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

jkphoto

• http://
Keywords vs. Collections
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 06:29:51 pm »

That was my initial thought on using collections but that almost seemed like an under-utilization.  It seems like I was on the right track (not that there's necessarily a wrong track).  Thanks.
Canon Digital Bits
Pages: [1]   Go Up