Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shawangunk Mt's New York  (Read 3175 times)

Gmike

Shawangunk Mt's New York
« on: August 24, 2007, 11:30:53 am »

I’ve moved into the area (albeit part time for now) and one the major attractions (if not the most important reason) was the landscape. I’ve only just started to dive into the intense range of images of this area. I was wondering if anyone on this board has been or regularly takes images on ‘the ridge’

Mike
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 12:02:37 pm by Gmike »

Thalaxis

• http://tamerlin.blogspot.com
Shawangunk Mt's New York
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 12:12:06 pm »

I’ve moved into the area (albeit part time for now) and one the major attractions (if not the most important reason) was the landscape. I’ve only just started to dive into the intense range of images of this area. I was wondering if anyone on this board has been or regularly takes images on ‘the ridge’
Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135273\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I grew up near them. I left before I got into photography, but I might be able to give you a few recomendations, such as:
Mohonk Mountain
Lake Minnewaska
Ausable Chasm (near Vermont, not really Shawangunks, but still very pretty )
And the Appalachian Trail runs through the area, which usually includes some good scenic areas.

You're not far from Hyde Park, where there are the Vanderbilt and Roosevelt masions and estates, right along the Hudson, which are also ripe with opportunity.

joepb70

Shawangunk Mt's New York
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 12:47:32 pm »

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135273\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mike

I go to the ridge at least a few times a week, less in the winter. It is my home away from home and really has become a spiritual refuge for me. I have spent the past several years shooting countless pics up there. It never ceases to amaze me at how unique and beautiful it is. I just bought a Canon S3 which is a step up from the 1.5 megapixel camera I had before. So, I'm really enjoying reshooting with this camera. I also have more than 20 or so hours of video that I shot as I was working on a documentary, "Saving the Ridge," which dealt with the "Save the Ridge" debacle that happened a few years ago.

Let me know if you'd like to see some pics...

Take care,
Joe

ebowles

• http://www.bowlesimages.zenfolio.com
Shawangunk Mt's New York
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 06:20:03 am »

I have done some hiking in the area around Cragsmoor and along the ridge toward Mohonk.  It has been 5-6 years since I've been there, but I hiked the area extensively as a kid.  There are two good areas for photography near Cragsmoor - even better if you like to hike.  

The Bear Hill nature preserve is relatively small.  It can be found on the north side of Cragsmoor, turning left near the library.  There are some nice views to the west over the valley and of rock formations, birds, etc.

In the Cragsmoor area, there is a very nice old church with a beautiful rose window and views overlooking the valley and Ellenville.

From the Cragsmoor side, go all the way to the end of the road into the nature preserve at Sam's Point.  There are some opportunities for shots around the reservoir around Sam's Point.  The road on the top circles the lake.  On the east side, there is a spur road that goes toward parking for the old ice caves.  You will see a parking area for the hiking trails.  

Following the hiking trail, you have a hike of about 2 to 2 1/2 miles one way to a waterfall and nice stream.  It is possible to hike to the bottom of the waterfall, but the trail is rough.  Another 1 1/2 miles over a bit rougher trail takes you up to the ridge top with some great views and the first of a series of natural ponds.  I knew it as mud pond, and the trail is probably a bit overgrown, but ultimately circles the lake.  

One of the best areas is around Lake Awostings.  I believe it can be most easily reached from Lake Minnewaska.  Awostings is a beautiful clear mountain lake - really quite large.  Surrounding trails are wide and at one time permitted carriages.  

Photo opportunities range from the rugged mountains and lakes, to wildlife and wild flowers, and to ruins of the old hotels.  As you may know, Cragsmoor was a thriving art colony in the arly 1900's.  There were a large number of mountain homes, a golf course, and a summer theater through the 1930's.  Ultimately, most were abandoned by the 1950's.

Hope this helps.

Eric
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 06:21:53 am by ebowles »
Eric Bowles
Bowles Images [url=http://bo

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
Shawangunk Mt's New York
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 05:49:57 pm »

I have some great images made from 1978 to 1993 in the New Paltz / Shawangunk area. Awosting Falls, Lake Minnewaska, Woodstock area and the Catskills. Just get yourself a map and compass!
Gerald J Skrocki
Pages: [1]   Go Up