Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glossy screen OK for image editing / printing?  (Read 12147 times)

Pelao

Glossy screen OK for image editing / printing?
« on: August 23, 2007, 02:32:26 pm »

Hi

I will be purchasing a new computer in a few months. Many notebooks, and now the latest iMacs, come with glossy screens. These change the colours a lot - in fact they make many images and movies 'pop' nicely from the screen.

I am concerned that this will make editing for the purposes of printing very difficult.

Are any of you currently using a glossy screen, and if so, how is it working out when you process your images and then print?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 12:24:37 am »

Hi

I will be purchasing a new computer in a few months. Many notebooks, and now the latest iMacs, come with glossy screens. These change the colours a lot - in fact they make many images and movies 'pop' nicely from the screen.

I am concerned that this will make editing for the purposes of printing very difficult.

Are any of you currently using a glossy screen, and if so, how is it working out when you process your images and then print?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135083\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A quick forum search for "glossy screen" will get you quite a bit of opinion regarding those.  It's been brought up several times.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 06:06:38 am »

Glossy ? Just say No.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

francois

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 06:13:45 am »

Glossy ? Just say No.
I fully agree but futur MacBooks and iMacs owners have no choice unfortunately.
Francois

Anthony R

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 09:37:39 am »

I fully agree but futur MacBooks and iMacs owners have no choice unfortunately.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135228\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Really if it's that critical to you, don't get a macbook or iMac. It's as simply as that. Btw, if you are image editing on any laptop screen then you are already at a huge disadvantage.

Pelao

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 09:59:17 am »

Well, I did find one users comprehensive attempts at calibration:

IMac Calibration

The newest iMacs offer fantastic value and power. I especially like the FW 800 output. They also have DVI out, which means it's a simple matter to attach a second monitor. I work in a 2 monitor set-up now and it's great. The MacBooks can also be set up like this so you have the best of both worlds - a nice light mobile and a great base.

In the end I may go with a MacBook Pro to replace my current iMac and PowerBook.

Btw, if you are image editing on any laptop screen then you are already at a huge disadvantage.

We will have to disagree on that. A good laptop screen, properly calibrated, can easily be used for editing.

francois

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 11:45:15 am »

The newest iMacs offer fantastic value and power. I especially like the FW 800 output. They also have DVI out, which means it's a simple matter to attach a second monitor. I work in a 2 monitor set-up now and it's great. The MacBooks can also be set up like this so you have the best of both worlds - a nice light mobile and a great base.
Right, I think that's an ideal solution, both the iMac and the MacBook can drive a 23" display.
Francois

Natasa Stojsic

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 12:15:19 pm »

Hi

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135083\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Initially I thought that is going to be my problem, but realized later that I use 21" monitor anyway. So, as far as I am concerned there is nothing to be worried about, since when it comes to retouching and printing most of us are using the good quality reference monitor  Eizo, Lacie, etc. not the laptop monitor.
[span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:

Anthony R

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 12:23:26 pm »

We will have to disagree on that. A good laptop screen, properly calibrated, can easily be used for editing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135255\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

We can certainly disagree, but your assumption is incorrect. Technical specs say otherwise -resolution and viewing angle for instance, just to name two. The panel on a laptop screen is just not at all up to par with the panel on an Eizo or similar monitor. Check it out.

Can easily be used, but at a disadvantage. I can retouch with Whiteout or a Sharpie on my screen rather easily too...

Pelao

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 03:56:24 pm »

We can certainly disagree, but your assumption is incorrect. Technical specs say otherwise -resolution and viewing angle for instance, just to name two. The panel on a laptop screen is just not at all up to par with the panel on an Eizo or similar monitor. Check it out.

Can easily be used, but at a disadvantage. I can retouch with Whiteout or a Sharpie on my screen rather easily too...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135286\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I didn't make any assumptions.

Rather, I am dealing with the reality that many pros operate off notebook screens and seem not to suffer to much.  It's always possible to have better specs on any sort of equipment. But a serious disadvantage?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 11:31:52 pm »

Glossy ? Just say No.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135226\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you used one for long?  Everyone says this, and they do take a little getting used to, but personally I now prefer it and doubt if I'll ever go back.  While logically it seems the glossy screen is problematic, after using it, I've found the problems are overrated and the advantages are worth having.

Most employees in my company are requesting the glossy screen after playing with mine for their next upgrade.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 11:32:45 pm by Wayne Fox »

tived

• http://
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 11:52:56 am »

so how many of you, carry around with a 23inch monitor when you are out shooting?

I know I got a laptop because I wanted it to be portable, not necessary to be my main machine that I would do all my work on.

If I could carry a 23 inch monitor, then I might as well being my box along as well.

however, if this isn;t the way people are working then, I would be interested to know.

Henrik

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 03:19:52 pm »

The only drawback to glossy screens is more reflection of what's behind you. But if you're in the dark, or have a dark background behind you, you get easier to read text and more saturated colors, just like the difference between glossy and matte print paper. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

Pelao

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 04:52:44 pm »

The only drawback to glossy screens is more reflection of what's behind you. But if you're in the dark, or have a dark background behind you, you get easier to read text and more saturated colors, just like the difference between glossy and matte print paper. Each has advantages and disadvantages.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jonathan

I suspect there may be a bit more too it than that. In particular, it can be a challenge to develop a reasonable profile for your screen. This also goes to my original point - if you like to print your photos, glossy screens may present a few challenges.

Here is an interesting post from someone who was calibrating 2 glossy imacs. His findings are interesting:

[a href=\"http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1017&message=24321625]Glossy iMac calibration[/url]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 04:54:04 pm by Pelao »

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 06:23:38 pm »

I use an EyeOne spectro and have no problems at all other than the inherent view angle limits of the screen.

Pelao

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 06:55:52 pm »

I use an EyeOne spectro and have no problems at all other than the inherent view angle limits of the screen.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135507\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Really? Now that is great news, thank you. Do you print many of your photos, or are most for the web?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 02:31:39 pm »

Really? Now that is great news, thank you. Do you print many of your photos, or are most for the web?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135514\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I also have had no problem calibrating my glossy Macbook Pro, and have no problem using it for Photoshop.  The reflections are rarely a problem, and in fact because the reflections are not diffused reflections which just wash the screen out, the computer is more usuable in brighter conditions.  Also, major reflections can be resolved with a slight tweak of the screen position, unlike the very diffuse and contrast killing property of a matte screen.

The majority of what I do is for printing, and I have had no problem getting good output with the glossy screen.

I use the MacBook to work on images while traveling, etc. and when printing the images they are opened on my desktop MacPro with 30" cinema screen.  I can't think of a time when I felt the image needed tweaking when viewing on the "better, non glossy" cinema screen.

I have not tried calibrating my new iMac yet (I don't use it for photoshop), but it's screen is different  and I believe Apple has used a lower cost LCD to manufacturer it.  It's gloss screen results from being behind glass, so I suppose that could be problematic.  I'm sure Apple's goals in design didn't really have much to do with high end photoshop work, and overall for it's intended audience this is an outstanding computer.  I may play with calibrating it just to see what results I come up with.  I do know that out of the box, the screen was dissappointing until I went through a manual calibration, and now looks quite nice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up