Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printers  (Read 3369 times)

acutshall

• http://
Printers
« on: August 22, 2007, 02:34:26 pm »

I love photography however I am about to give it up over my frustrations with having my photos printed. Let me explain:

I take primarily portraits and weddings and take the time to make sure my exposures are just so, make corrections in either photoshop or bridge if needed and everything turns out wonderful on the CDs and web postings whether on my computer or anyone elses. I go to have prints made at a certified lab and they look like $%%$&&!!!!!. I know the first thing that comes to mind is that my monitor is not calibrated but it is. I also use a constant color space from taking the exposures thru editing.

I primarily print about 500 4*6s, 8*10(nothing over 17in) a day;color and B/W.  I decided for complete control, I would  try printing my own; I read specs,reviews and forums trying to  make an educated buy. I tried the HP9180 and 1800 with mediocre results; so I thought maybe I did not invest enough money for a printer so I headed back towards the reviews. A month later I am even more confused; there are conflicting reviews within the same forum, even BUYER BEWARES. There is also mention of management sofgtware, RIPs, Profiles and so on. . Can anyone offer any advice on a complete (tried and true) printing system , including print management, profiles and hardware. All I want to do is get back to taken exposures not get a degree.

Thanks

madmanchan

• Web
Printers
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 04:12:17 pm »

The printers you've already tried are really good, so it sounds like it has something to do with your setup. I suggest you learn as much as you can about color management and the printing workflow. You might try the video tutorial offered by this site, "From Camera To Print". I consider myself experienced with printing, yet purchased the tutorial and found some nuggets in there that I had been previously unaware of. There are also some good books out there on the subject (look up the authors Harald Johnson and Andrew Rodney, for starters).
Eric Chan

Alaska

Printers
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 04:21:36 pm »

One thing that you did  not indicate if you are using a monitor calibration system.  Use the Monoco Optix puck and it keeps the LCD most consistent.  If  you do not, then this is one of the first steps needed in your workflow.  Next will come paper profiles, etc.

Used to use a firm that utilized a Fuji Frontier chemical process printer and sRGB.  Now use a Canon ipf 5000 and get better results right out of PS CS2.  

Jim

acutshall

Printers
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 05:08:00 pm »

Thank you both for your response; I agree I need to learn more. I think I have a compound problem Printer and monitor. Although I am calibrating I do not think my monitor is as good as it could be. I am looking at a EIZO or Lacie monitor with calibration hardware( if anyone is using a specific model I would love to hear from you) I will also be steping up to a 3800/4800 or the IPF 5000. I have a demo session scheduled for both. The last step will be to investigate the Image Print for work flow issues. Any more good articles on the matter would be appreciated.

DarkPenguin

Printers
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 08:37:00 pm »

Have you tried the from camera to print tutorial ($35) on this site?

Even if you send your prints out it should be of help.

acutshall

Printers
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 10:42:30 pm »

Have you tried the from camera to print tutorial ($35) on this site?

Even if you send your prints out it should be of help.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134934\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks I will do that

Alaska

Printers
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 03:17:04 am »

I am looking at a EIZO or Lacie monitor with calibration hardware( if anyone is using a specific model I would love to hear from you)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134903\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is much to learn.  Just take your time and proceed one step at a time.  There are a lot of good tutorials and hints on the net.  Some texts are also good.  The Russell Brown series is good for fixing images along with Radiant Vista, both free.

Use a Dell 2407 LCD and it does a good job.  Seems to be very stable with an average DE in the range of .97 or so with the Monico Optix.  Set the brightness to 35 as to keep it on the less bright side.  At 100 it would lite up the city!  Would not mind an Eizo or Lacie, but the check book said no.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up