Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brits are mugs... official  (Read 8949 times)

silverriver

• http://
Brits are mugs... official
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2007, 04:38:07 am »

Once again the Brits are trying to blame the EU for their woes. While you are
in complaint mode, demand a written constitution and become a citizen instead of being a subject!

I´ve been away a little while, but last time I looked UK VAT was 17.5%; here in Spain it´s 16% and as somebody wrote, the whole thing is bullshit.

Yes, we pay through the nose to keep tax-free salaries for Euro MPs going. The Royals are not a liability, they represent the only worthwhile establishment left in Britain. Every politician has his nose in the public trough; his eye on the US lecture tour after he gets thrown out of office for some form of corruption or another. Where else can somebody be kicked out of office three times then go on to become a Euro bigshot? Yes, in Britain, innit, Mandy baby?

As for the US? Who can tell - there seems to be as much confusion there between religion and politics as there is in Afghanistan or Iraq, with fundamentalists killing doctors and other people they disagree with. Difference between US and the middle-eastern ones? You tell me. Wrap the argument, any argument,  up in religious clothes and you confuse people´s minds. Not new science, been done since the early middle-ages. It´s called mind control; it requires ignorance and poverty to thrive.

So buy your cameras where you are - it´s not worth the hassle going shopping worldwide, something in the small print will blow you off once again.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=0\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2007, 12:02:38 pm »

Simple enough solution: hop a train or a cheap flight to Switzerland with an empty camera bag. Buy your gear and put it in the bag. Put the receipts in an envelope and mail it to yourself, and pack up the empty boxes, manuals, etc. and ship them home.

They can't charge import duties on empty boxes, and sending the receipts via a different path would make it impossible to catch on to what you're up to.

Kevin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137826\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Kevin, are you really so innocent?

Rob C

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2007, 12:34:47 pm »

Warranty is not an issue, as Canon has an international warranty, and B&H offers very affordable extended global warranties on backs and lenses from mackcam.com. Of course if you're a pro and need to have a camera with you 24/7, long turnaround times might be a problem.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134861\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have Canon gear purchased in the UK and Canon repair turnaround even with CPS is abyssmal. They promise 3 days, but don't mention that's after they've taken their time to give you an estimate and even then it took 3 weeks in total.
Pathetic, how they can call it Canon Professional Service beats me.

I had a lens fixed by Canon, non CPS and they completely bodged it and it had to go back to be sorted out a short while later. And they charged me to fix a cosmetic scratch that I specifically that said I didn't want doing and they ended up replacing my focusing measurements dial upside down. Idiots. rant rant.
I had an email shortly after asking me to fill in a survey regarding my experience and the online survey was also broken. Duh!
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007, 12:46:54 pm »

take the camera out of the packaging and post the box to yourself or a friend[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137129\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Why do you want to kep the boxes? They take up so much room.
Thank God TFT monitor boxes are smaller than when they were CRTs. I have a cellar full of boxes inside boxes.

Anyway if you are professional you are probably VAT regged anyway, so it's not really an issue paying VAT at customs. Unless there's something else. I've never bought anything of value abroad. Though a holiday to buy some software and a new camera is tempting.

I paid VAT on a second hand ring flash that I bought at B+H when it came through customs and the charges for doing so. Even though there is actuallly no VAT on second hand goods in the UK. I was a bit narked by that waste of time and money. Having said that I ordedered flash on Sunday, the shop opened Monday and I got flash on Wednesday morning even after the customs faff.
The flash was no longer available new BTW.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Kevin W Smith

• http://www.kevinwsmith.com
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2007, 02:28:35 am »

Kevin, are you really so innocent?

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137905\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I have never done anything to circumvent any means of taxation.

I'm just saying that somebody could if somebody were so inclined.

Reason for keeping the boxes? In case you sell it, you always get a higher price if you have the original packing material etc.

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 10:11:03 am »

As a Canadian I always made the long bus trip to NYC to buy my gear. The cost savings paid for my weekend (well, having a friend living in Manhattan helped).
At customs I never declared anything. I NEVER had to pay duty when I returned. I usually FedEx'ed all the packaging, warrantee, sales receipt info. I always took a CF card with local photos (i.e. CN Tower) with me so that if I was asked if I bought the camera in NYC I would have 'proof' that I had it in Canada prior to my trip (just showed them the photos of Canada and NYC on the same CF card). Staying a few days in NYC and taking photos of my friends and activities goes a long way in to convincing Customs people that I wasn't on a quick camera gear buying trip.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up