Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100ps software update in mid-Sept  (Read 24666 times)

Jon Abbott

z3100ps software update in mid-Sept
« on: August 22, 2007, 01:39:55 am »

I just talked to HP Designjet tech support today, and a major software update for the z3100ps version is going to be released in mid-September. He said it should bring the features up to and past the non-ps version. One improvement will be more tolerance when loading sheet paper (apparently we all get the reload message frequently). Lots more media "profiles" (think paper presets) and icc profiles, and many other feature enhancements. I should have asked some more specific questions, but was busy getting a head replaced under warranty. BTW, the HP rep thinks the z3100ps is their best printer; "the Cadillac of their printers".

This is the first time I have contacted HP tech support, and they were so helpful I was totally shocked. Even though I have four Epson large format printers, the support has been non-existent. In the two months that I have had the z3100ps there has been no clogging, and the only hardware problem has been a single head replacement (which is being done free and fast by HP); in the same period I have done 90 (yes, ninety) head cleaning cycles on 3 of my 4 Epsons (the fourth had an empty cartridge from auto cleaning). Goodbye Epson, hello HP, for my next printers.

Arhaeus

• http://
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 02:25:10 am »

I don’t know about the Epson printers, I’ve so the IPF8000 at work and it is no match for my Z3100ps. Printing on the same paper (Tecco 380 Premium, Orafol 1917, Tecco GLU/II) the 1200dpi/1200dpi resolution (on best) on Canon is the equivalent with 600dpi/600dpi on Z, on fast printing option.  The printing dots were obvious and it has banding. The owner sad that the banding problem could be corrected but the dots would remain at the same size.  On Z at 1200dpi/1200dpi on Tecco GLU/II I cannot see the printing dots even with a magnifier glass! The banding problem didn’t appear even on the worst paper on fast, let alone on best… The Z series is more versatile on different type of paper due to the inks, that are better than of all printers created so far. The money HP spent in development it makes the difference, regardless our preferences on how the colors must look on a print. I’m totally satisfied with my printer and so are my customers.
The costs are also very reasonable, on a sq m on average, it needs 12-13 ml with GE and 8-9 ml without GE. On solvent printers for example (HP 9000s), the average is 19-20 ml.
About the clogging issue, the Z3100 have non on 2 months and is ready for printing at any time (the Epson and Canon printers have plenty of clogs). The pigmented inks have the tendency to dry out faster and are thicker then the dry inks (we have also a HP designjet 2500CP that has also a pigmented ink set and when a head has a clogging is very hard to clean). The Vivera inks are very ease to clean, I made an experiment and left a head on the desk for about a week, and after that I clean it very easy with the brush that comes with the head. The HP 2500 UV head (with pigmented ink) if I left it for a week it will be a nightmare to clean.
The HP representative said: “the z3100ps is their best printer; "the Cadillac of their printers"”.  I, after more than 10 years of experience in printing business, I could say that the Z3100ps is the Ferrari of all printers!
I’m also happy that the software update will include more paper profiles and more tolerance in loading paper (especially on hand made paper and small sheets it needed that).

John Hollenberg

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 10:57:11 am »

I don’t know about the Epson printers, I’ve so the IPF8000 at work and it is no match for my Z3100ps. Printing on the same paper (Tecco 380 Premium, Orafol 1917, Tecco GLU/II) the 1200dpi/1200dpi resolution (on best) on Canon is the equivalent with 600dpi/600dpi on Z, on fast printing option.  The printing dots were obvious and it has banding. The owner sad that the banding problem could be corrected but the dots would remain at the same size. 

I am surprised to hear you say the iPF8000 has clogs.  No reports of clogging for any of the iPF series has ever been received at the Wiki:

http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com

I wonder if the source of the clogs could be a defective head.

We haven't had any reports of banding, either.  Firmware 1.23 and later (for iPF5000, don't know about the 8000) has a finer dither than previous firmware versions, perhaps that could be the problem?  

--John

Jon Abbott

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 07:45:03 pm »

Good news. The z3100ps GP software update was postponed a couple of times, but is now almost ready for prime time. I just talked to an HP software engineer at the NYC Javits Center Photo Expo this last weekend. He said the new version is looking good and should be out very soon, IF problems are not found in the current beta (firmware TR12-TR12PS_06_00_00-7). The release has been postponed twice to "get it right". The printer on the floor was running the latest beta firmware and software (Mac). I also saw a windows version. I would expect a short delay after the release is approved, for HP to make media settings and icc profiles.

I was told PCL features and functions of the ps and non-ps versions will now be identical (except for ps and the optional APS upgrade features, obviously).

Yeah! The new great printer will now have improved professional software. HP promised us updates and they are delivering the goods!

BTW, if you like matte art papers, I recommend trying the HP Matte Litho-realistic paper. No wood pulp, not too white (less or no optical brighteners to fade and yellow), and inexpensive for the quality coating and weight. It is not HP Hannemuhle Smooth, but it's very nice and about one fifth the price.

Harris

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 07:56:02 pm »

Good news. The z3100ps GP software update was postponed a couple of times, but is now almost ready for prime time. I just talked to an HP software engineer at the NYC Javits Center Photo Expo this last weekend. He said the new version is looking good and should be out very soon...
        I recommend trying the HP Matte Litho-realistic paper. No wood pulp, not too white (less or no optical brighteners to fade and yellow), and inexpensive for the quality coating and weight.

I guess you spoke to a different representative than I did.  The one I spoke to told me there waqs no scheduled firmware update.  I agree with you on the HP Matte Litho-realistic paper - the images they had on this paper were great and I am ordering it this week.

deelight

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 06:32:49 am »

I agree with you on the HP Matte Litho-realistic paper - the images they had on this paper were great and I am ordering it this week.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147982\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Friends,

I am on my 3rd roll of Litho-Matte and I like the paper VERY much, very deep blacks at a price less than 70 Euro for a 30m roll (24").

The deep/shadow red problem still exists though, still not acceptable.

Best,

Clem

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 06:35:57 am »

Friends,

I am on my 3rd roll of Litho-Matte and I like the paper VERY much, very deep blacks at a price less than 70 Euro for a 30m roll (24").

The deep/shadow red problem still exists though, still not acceptable.

Best,

Clem
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148069\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My first roll is on the way, should be delivered today.  Its discouraging though to hear you speak of a problem with the reds.  Did you profile this with the standard targets or APS TC9.18?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 06:36:58 am by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

deelight

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 06:42:20 am »

My first roll is on the way, should be delivered today.  Its discouraging though to hear you speak of a problem with the reds.  Did you profile this with the standard targets or APS TC9.18?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148071\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, I have the non-PS version of the 3100 and profiled and calibrated with the built-in spectro.

Clem

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 08:48:18 am »

No, I have the non-PS version of the 3100 and profiled and calibrated with the built-in spectro.

Clem
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148072\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have a base Z3100 as well but purchased the APS separately.  APS generally doesn't solve the reds issue but it has improved shadow detail in a number of the profiles I've built with TC9.18 target.
Regards,
Ron

deelight

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 11:45:56 am »

I have a base Z3100 as well but purchased the APS separately.  APS generally doesn't solve the reds issue but it has improved shadow detail in a number of the profiles I've built with TC9.18 target.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148085\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So what did you pay for the upgrade? Would you recommend it (concerning price/qualitiy improvement relation)?

Thanks,

Clem

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 01:21:13 pm »

I was told PCL features and functions of the ps and non-ps versions will now be identical (except for ps and the optional APS upgrade features, obviously).

Yeah! The new great printer will now have improved professional software. HP promised us updates and they are delivering the goods!

BTW, if you like matte art papers, I recommend trying the HP Matte Litho-realistic paper. No wood pulp, not too white (less or no optical brighteners to fade and yellow), and inexpensive for the quality coating and weight. It is not HP Hannemuhle Smooth, but it's very nice and about one fifth the price.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147981\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Jon,
I've been praying for this since late August when I was told by 2 separate tech support people that it would be coming "in September" or between "September and December."

I need it bad.

BTW, I love the Litho Realistic Paper also.

Are you having any roller marks issues with you Z3100ps GP? THis is one that is hanging over me like a knife, and along with the "reds" issues, I sure hope by "got it right" HP means that they've fixed some of these big ones.

Also, you say they were running this on the Mac at the show. Did you get a look at the HP Printer Utility. Have they improved that. I have a laundry list of changes I would implement if I were in charge. Come to think of it I would fold the APS Software into the HP Printer Utility completely. (I hope they do that). Oh well that's a whole different thread.

Thanks for the info, and so long for now, TOM

rdonson

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 01:41:25 pm »

So what did you pay for the upgrade? Would you recommend it (concerning price/qualitiy improvement relation)?

Thanks,

Clem
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148116\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When I bought my Z3100 I don't recall there being a PS version of the printer that included the APS.  

I shopped around for the APS and got it from ProVantage at a savings over the HP price.  I'll have to look back later tonight to see what I paid for it.  When you get the package though your first thought is how can it be worth what I paid for it.  A very unassuming package.  Just the colorimeter and a disk.

For me it was worth it.  I wanted to create better profiles and APS offered the ability to print TC9.18 (918 patch) targets for the RGB profiles.  The ease of use and flexibility of APS was also a major deciding factor for me.  

I don't think the 918 patch targets always creates profiles that are significantly better than the easy targets/profiles or those supplied by HP.  On some papers though I'm very pleased with the improvements.  

I haven't used it on a lot of papers though so someone like Neal Snape would be in a better position to say when it works best.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 01:42:32 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 08:49:55 am »

In a week the new firmware will according to HP eng. be ready and on the servers within the utility as well, with new drivers as well. The new drivers are on the Windows side Vista approved, and the Utility corrected also.

So let's see if they have removed all QA doubts on the promised updates.

Copied from the newsletter:
Loading sheets with ragged edges
In Firmware 6, customers will have the option to load without doing a skew check. This has some benefits, it is a faster process and you can load media with ragged edges. However there are some drawbacks, such as there is no preview control possible and there is also a limited length of the sheet media that you can print on (for times the media width). The current option will be the default way of loading paper.

Improvement when adding a custom paper
The process of adding a custom papers has been improved in firmware 6. This new version allows to select the ink limiting; this is the amount of ink placed on the paper.

Export paper presets
With this new functionality you will be able to export and import previously created paper presets packages, so it will be easier to share among your colleagues or friends.

New drivers versions for both Mac and Windows.
This new drivers are Windows Vista certified. Also, it incorporates several fixes, especially during installation process.
We strongly recommend to upgrade both Firmware & drivers.

New Printer Utility for Windows
Together with the new driver, we are introducing a new version of the HP Printer Utility
With that introduction, in Windows OS, we move from HP Easy Printer Care to HP Printer Utility, so now HP Printer Utility will work for both Mac and Windows. Last version of HP Easy Printer Utility supporting HP Designjet printers is 2.1

rdonson

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 09:42:05 am »

Thanks for the info, Neil.  I sure hope these updates go smoothly.

Any idea of the impact on APS?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 11:50:47 am by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

neil snape

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 09:55:07 am »

Thanks for the info, Neal.  I sure hope these updates go smoothly.

Any idea of the impact on APS?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148351\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Good question.
Since it is X-Rite that co dev APS, the integration will be put to it's test with all these media addition upgrades.
APS calls in through the printer port the loaded paper, naming , etc that is stored on the hard disk of the printer. IF the new additions break the paths to the names, this will be a problem.
I didn't test this firmware update, nor do I have any info on those who have. Actually I don't even have the Z printer any longer for that matter....

Jon Abbott

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 12:42:06 am »

Hi Jon,
I've been praying for this since late August when I was told by 2 separate tech support people that it would be coming "in September" or between "September and December."

I need it bad.

BTW, I love the Litho Realistic Paper also.

Are you having any roller marks issues with you Z3100ps GP? THis is one that is hanging over me like a knife, and along with the "reds" issues, I sure hope by "got it right" HP means that they've fixed some of these big ones.

Also, you say they were running this on the Mac at the show. Did you get a look at the HP Printer Utility. Have they improved that. I have a laundry list of changes I would implement if I were in charge. Come to think of it I would fold the APS Software into the HP Printer Utility completely. (I hope they do that). Oh well that's a whole different thread.

Thanks for the info, and so long for now, TOM
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148145\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I haven't had any roller mark issues, except when calibrating the printer and the paper is pulled back in to be read by the spectro, and of course this is not really a problem. And I haven't had the "red" issue either. I believe it was fixed before I got my printer and according to HP was fixed by the ps GP version 4.0.0.6 firmware. I have looked carefully for this problem, and even expected it, but I have not experienced it yet. But maybe I'm not using the same papers as some of the posts that are having this issue. I have printed files with critical, saturated reds and blacks. I do have the APS, and Gretag Macbeth Profiler Pro with a iccolor 210 strip reader (they give similar profile creation results using the tC918 target with a D50 or 65 setting)- so I think the APS is an incrediable bargain compared to what the alternative Profiler Pro and hardware cost me. APS doesn't have some of the functions of Profiler Pro, but it has the essential ones most people would use, and I think it works very well. And my assistant (an art handler) can understand how to use it; he is lost in Profiler Pro and Measure Tool with the many choices.

I didn't really get a look at the new HP Printer Utility, but it is an area I have complained about with HP. They have heard about the issues, worked on it, and apparently it is improved. I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but they were kind enough to burn me a disk with the latest beta software and firmware. So far Hp has given me the best support I have ever had from a major photography manufacturer. It has been excellent (knock on wood). I'll post back after I install and test the new software, but by then HP will probably have it posted for download (unless they find problems). The one thing that may still be a problem (according to the technican) is APS working with the beta software. However, I have a hunch we are all going to be very happy with this update when it is finished.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 04:14:50 am »

I didn't test this firmware update, nor do I have any info on those who have. Actually I don't even have the Z printer any longer for that matter....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148356\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What happened to your Z3100 Neil, if I may ask?

Regards,
Bernard

neil snape

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 04:24:25 am »

What happened to your Z3100 Neil, if I may ask?

Regards,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148550\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I made space in my little room, selling off all the space consuming gear, with only the drum scanner still taking up space while not being used. Strange to have breathing room in the end. In reality, I need no more than an 18" printer. The 3800 is very nice for the price, but I'd like to see it with vivid magenta. I haven't seen enough prints from the x100 series Canon to know if the 5100 Canon is the better choice. If I understand correctly the 4880 still hasn't addressed the PK and MK swap or am I missing something?

rdonson

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 06:43:46 am »

Thanks,

Clem
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148116\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Clem,

I finally got back to my invoice and the APS cost me $732.43.  Not a huge savings but enough to pay for a 24" roll of HP Matte Litho-Realistic.  

Speaking of the Litho-Realistic, my roll came yesterday and I bit the bullet and profiled it with APS 1.3.1 using a TC9.18 target.  My initial impressions are that its significantly heavier (13 mil vs 10.3 mil) than Epson Enhanced Matte and that the reds are excellent.  It seems to handle a lot of ink.  Detail seems quite good.  For those who hate OBAs it is noticeably less bright than Enhanced Matte.

I think I'm really going to like the Litho-Realistic paper a lot and I'll probably not order any more Epson Enhanced Matte to use on the Z3100.
Regards,
Ron

thierryd

• http://www.dehesdin.eu
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 08:19:14 am »

Does someone know why do they call it "Litho-Realistic paper" ? It looks like something very specific. A bit frightening for someone who doesn't speak a good english.
And not so easy to find at least here in France.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up