Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Processing times for C1 Mac Pro vs laptop??  (Read 3108 times)

LA30

Processing times for C1 Mac Pro vs laptop??
« on: August 21, 2007, 10:06:49 pm »

Dear C1 users,

I have to make a bunch of nice jpgs for a client from my P30+ back.  Can someone please give me an idea how long it takes to make a jpg medium Quality HIGH res 200px/in at 40%.  For me that makes a 900 KB file.  

I am using the new 2.4 Ghz intel MacBook Pro with 4 gigs of ram and 160gb 7200 rpm hd with 120gb free.

To make 100 is takes about 60 minutes or 17 in 10 minutes.

I need to make Quality HIGH and not QUICK PROOF because of moire issues with the files.

I am looking for some times from a new Mac Pro machine?  Maybe I get one to finish out the job, the Two 2.66 Ghz Dual Core is 2500.00 and $200 for after-market ram and I am good to go.  I wouldn't really want the Two 3.0 Ghz for 3300, it would be 3600 after ram and tax.

Thanks in advance

Ken

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 10:12:25 pm »

Add one or two external firewire hard drives to the laptop. Put the source and destination files on different drives, make sure the Raw files are on the fast external one. $200 in drives should make an appreciable dent in your problem - and provide a convenient method for delivering files to the client

Edmund
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 10:13:35 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

LA30

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 10:16:49 pm »

Add one or two external firewire hard drives to the laptop. Put the source and destination files on different drives, make sure the Raw files are on the fast external one. $200 in drives should make an appreciable dent in your problem - and provide a convenient method for delivering files to the client

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134691\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OOOPS I forgot something,

So The Raw Files are on an external LaCie "quadra" 500gb (140gb used) drive.  I am using the eSATA connection from the drive to a Express/34 eSATA card from Firmtek.  I am reading from the eSATA drive and sending the jpgs to the external drive.  The internal HD isn't storing anything.

Ken

phildog33

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 09:27:38 am »

i am also curious about upgrading to a fast MacPro and curious how big of a speed bump this is.. for processing Raws from C1
-p

LA30

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 01:32:56 pm »

i am also curious about upgrading to a fast MacPro and curious how big of a speed bump this is.. for processing Raws from C1
-p
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135025\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Too bad that after 193 views no one has the time to process out 20 files or the machine....

Oh, after 40 hours of nonstop processing the job is complete.  According to the apple "activity monitor" CPU usage got up to 190% and out of my 4 gigs of ram about 3 were used.  I tried not to have any other apps running.

Bump?

Thanks!

Ken

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 07:16:58 pm »

My Intel Mac laptop processes P45 files in 40 seconds and my tower only takes 20 seconds.  They're not in front of me right now so I can't give you the processor specifics.  Both machines are maxed out with ram.  Interestingly enough, we tested the tower with 8 gigs of ram and it processed the files in the same amount of time.  My old G4 laptop I believe took upwards of 3 minutes to process a P45 file and the dual processor G5's were somewhere around a minute (I think).  Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up