Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick Z3100 question  (Read 19167 times)

abrehm

Quick Z3100 question
« on: August 21, 2007, 06:47:25 pm »

I have just loaded a 50' roll of HP Pro Satin on my Z3100.  It recognizes it as a 24" roll but I cant figure out how to input the roll length.  How do I do this?

Thanks,
andy

jpmulligan

Quick Z3100 question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 09:13:43 pm »

I don't believe that there is a setting for the length, it is up to you to visually monitor whether you have enough paper left on the roll for your printing session. I think the canon printers will write a bar code on the paper roll with its guesstimate of remaining length on the roll when you unload the roll, but HP doesnt offer that on its printers.

abrehm

Quick Z3100 question
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 10:44:15 pm »

OK, good to know.  I was just wondering if I was missing something.

I guess I have another quick question for those who have a Z3100.  For some reason after making a print (after it trims off) it feeds about 2" of blank paper then cuts that off too so its wasting an extra 2" on every print.  Has anyone else experienced this or know what is going on?

Thanks,
Andy

thierryd

• http://www.dehesdin.eu
Quick Z3100 question
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 03:20:18 am »

Each time you put a new roll, it cuts about 8 cm (sorry I'm european). And you have no way to avoid it. The best way to minimize the waste between 2 prints on the same roll is to cut the automatic cutter off.

Geoff Wittig

Quick Z3100 question
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 06:53:04 am »

OK, good to know.  I was just wondering if I was missing something.

I guess I have another quick question for those who have a Z3100.  For some reason after making a print (after it trims off) it feeds about 2" of blank paper then cuts that off too so its wasting an extra 2" on every print.  Has anyone else experienced this or know what is going on?

Thanks,
Andy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134695\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In my experience the Z3100 will trim off 2" from the leading edge when you first load any roll paper. If you leave the same roll on your machine and make multiple prints, it doesn't trim off any more paper between prints. If you leave the roll on the spindle but load a piece of sheet paper and print it, when you re-load the roll paper into the printer it trims off that 2" piece again. I presume the logic is to remove the leading edge of a roll to avoid any kinked or ragged edge. It is a bit annoying.

Charles Gast

Quick Z3100 question
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 09:53:25 am »

Strange it only wastes that 2 inch strip with the expensive Matte paper.
I need to brush off the paper before each print to keep the specks off so I waste a good 24 inches of paper from each roll

thierryd

Quick Z3100 question
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 10:46:43 am »

Strange it only wastes that 2 inch strip with the expensive Matte paper.
I need to brush off the paper before each print to keep the specks off so I waste a good 24 inches of paper from each roll
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134786\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Which Matte paper ?

abrehm

Quick Z3100 question
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 11:59:31 am »

I just loaded this roll and have noticed that it cuts off 2" when you load a new roll.  My problem is though that it trims off 2" between prints without changing the roll.  I might have to call this one in....

jpmulligan

Quick Z3100 question
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 02:29:50 pm »

I just loaded this roll and have noticed that it cuts off 2" when you load a new roll.  My problem is though that it trims off 2" between prints without changing the roll.  I might have to call this one in....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134815\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have seen this same behavior where it cuts off an extra piece between each print job on the roll; I asked HP about it last week and was told that was the way the printer is designed. Pretty annoying

adiallo

Quick Z3100 question
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 03:23:37 pm »

I have seen this same behavior where it cuts off an extra piece between each print job on the roll; I asked HP about it last week and was told that was the way the printer is designed. Pretty annoying
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134860\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've never experienced that. Cutting off 2 inches when a roll is loaded, yes, (and that doesn't happen every time-don't ask me why). But once a roll is loaded my printer is not cutting off strips between prints. Are you powering off the printer? Are you printing with the Clip Contents or Oversize Margins setting in the driver?
amadou diallo
[url=http://blogfiftygreat

abrehm

Quick Z3100 question
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 04:05:51 pm »

It just started doing that between rolls recently for me.  It used to only trim the 2" when new rolls were loaded, but just recently it has begun to do that after every print.  Strange.....and costly.

Mary K

Quick Z3100 question
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 10:47:58 pm »

I have the Z3100 44", and mine rarely trims off any paper when I load a roll.  I've never had extra cuts between prints while using the same roll either.  Knock on wood!

Mary
Mary Konchar

dkeyes

• http://
Quick Z3100 question
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 04:33:03 am »

I just loaded HP Smooth Fine Art and it didn't cut off any paper. (1st time this has ever happened) I wonder if the new APS profile had something to do with it?

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Quick Z3100 question
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 05:24:01 am »

I have the 44" version. So far I've not seen any between jobs cuts, only when the roll is loaded. IMO the leading edge should not be cut for each and every load reload. It should be optional. Also a user settable first load cut off would have been welcome. The tape on the rolls needs to go past the marks left which require at least three trim button tasks. Please note to any new users, before calibrating, always cut off at least three trim operations as the tape marks will greatly distort calibrations.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Quick Z3100 question
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 08:22:45 pm »

It just started doing that between rolls recently for me.  It used to only trim the 2" when new rolls were loaded, but just recently it has begun to do that after every print.  Strange.....and costly.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134888\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you started printing with no margins?  In this mode it will cut off the the print and leave about 1/16 of the print on the leading edge of the roll, then cut off a wopping 2" just to clean up the leading edge, even though it knows it must be straight...

Mike

thierryd

Quick Z3100 question
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 10:49:32 am »

Cutting off 2 inches when a roll is loaded, yes, (and that doesn't happen every time-don't ask me why).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134877\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
For the first time I load a canvas roll (HP Artist Canvas), and for the first time, the printer did not cut the 2 inches.  
So I suppose if you pretend in the front menu your paper is a canvas, the printer will not cut the 2 inches. I suppose it's because the firmware doesn't allow the cutter with the canvas paper.
Of course doesn't forget to change the type of your paper in the driver before printing  

neil snape

Quick Z3100 question
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 12:48:10 pm »

For the first time I load a canvas roll (HP Artist Canvas), and for the first time, the printer did not cut the 2 inches.   
So I suppose if you pretend in the front menu your paper is a canvas, the printer will not cut the 2 inches. I suppose it's because the firmware doesn't allow the cutter with the canvas paper.
Of course doesn't forget to change the type of your paper in the driver before printing 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136185\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No actually it's simply because Canvas disables the cutter.....

Roscolo

Quick Z3100 question
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 01:29:32 pm »

I have the 44" z3100. It doesn't cut off 2" strips ever.

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
Quick Z3100 question
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 02:09:36 pm »

I have a 24" z3100 and have printed with the HP premium instant dry gloss, Hp professional satin photo paper, HP Hahnemuhle Smooth Fine Art Paper 265 gsm, and HP Hahnemuhle Textured Fine Art Paper 265 gsm.  All 24 " rolls and have not had the problem of 2" cut between prints.  Only time I saw this take place was when I loaded a new roll of paper and I got a skew message and after trying to auto correct it cut about a 2" piece to straighten the end of the roll.

neil snape

Quick Z3100 question
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 06:33:18 pm »

I have the 44" z3100. It doesn't cut off 2" strips ever.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136220\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
When you load a roll it should other than canvas. It doesn't cut by default between plots though. That is a weird problem that few have experienced.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 06:34:25 pm by neil snape »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up