Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Squished aspect ratio with CS3 and Z2100  (Read 2423 times)

markdfink

Squished aspect ratio with CS3 and Z2100
« on: August 21, 2007, 12:15:23 pm »

We recently bought an HP Z2100, and I was trying to print one of my mosaics that measures about 67"x20". All looked fine, even in the print preview within PhotoShop, but when it starts printing, the aspect ratio is squished. Instead of 67x20, it is more link 67x10.

As a reality check, I went back to my old PhotoShop 6 and did the exact same steps to set up the print job, and that printed without any problems at all. I've tried this with several images, and CS3 always squishes the output while v.6 works just fine.

I had been on a chat session with HP regarding other issues, and they did some troubleshooting on this and couldn't explain it. I have all the latest drivers for the Z2100 (I'm working on Windows XP Pro), so their guess was that it was a CS3 issue.

Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks,

Mark
www.pinnacle-vr.com
www.northernlight.net

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 02:25:01 pm »

We recently bought an HP Z2100, and I was trying to print one of my mosaics that measures about 67"x20". All looked fine, even in the print preview within PhotoShop, but when it starts printing, the aspect ratio is squished. Instead of 67x20, it is more link 67x10.

As a reality check, I went back to my old PhotoShop 6 and did the exact same steps to set up the print job, and that printed without any problems at all. I've tried this with several images, and CS3 always squishes the output while v.6 works just fine.

I had been on a chat session with HP regarding other issues, and they did some troubleshooting on this and couldn't explain it. I have all the latest drivers for the Z2100 (I'm working on Windows XP Pro), so their guess was that it was a CS3 issue.

Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks,

Mark
www.pinnacle-vr.com
www.northernlight.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134541\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had this happen once with a narrow panoramic printed sideways on my 3100; I wanted 7x24" and instead got about 3"x24". In retrospect I had noted that the preview was screwed up. I believe this is a variant of HP's well known driver bug, where landscape images get truncated but portrait format prints fine. I think the answer is making sure the preview looks right before hitting "print".
’Course, I could be wrong.

Panascape

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 04:30:37 pm »

Yes I have had so many problems printing from CS3 that I regret ever buying it.

I have gone back to printing from CS2 which is a pain with Vista (thank you Adobe for not understanding why you should use windows print API’s, not make them up as you go) but at least it prints properly, which rules the driver out as the source of the problem.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 06:59:07 am »

Yes I have had so many problems printing from CS3 that I regret ever buying it.

I have gone back to printing from CS2 which is a pain with Vista (thank you Adobe for not understanding why you should use windows print API’s, not make them up as you go) but at least it prints properly, which rules the driver out as the source of the problem.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134623\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think the problem is actually with HP's driver, not CS3. I confess that I actually love CS3 for printing. The color managed preview window is great; even though it's a small window, it shows quickly which prints need a bit of contrast boost. Yeah, I know all about color management and soft proofing, but that print dialogue box is so simple and usable. The various check boxes and choices for color management are also a lot more logical than before.
Just my 2 cents.
Pages: [1]   Go Up