Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: scanner recommendations  (Read 2890 times)

professorgb

scanner recommendations
« on: August 20, 2007, 09:24:10 pm »

I'm honestly not sure if this is the right part of the forum for this question, but here goes.  I have a friend shooting 4x5 negatives, both B&W and color.  He definitely prefers wet process prints, but is concerned about having some sort of backup/archive for his work.  He has a few hundred or so negatives that he'd like to scan, but would rather not have a shop do the work.  He'd like to do it himself.  He's not concerned about top-flight quality, as he doesn't foresee much digital printing at this point.  He just needs quality backup.

So, what scanner would you recommend for less than $400?  Either a dedicated negative scanner or a standard flatbed with a negative holder and backlight would do, so long as the capture is of decent quality.

Any ideas?

Doug Fisher

scanner recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 09:05:37 am »

>>So, what scanner would you recommend for less than $400?  <<

You don't have many choices in the price range.  I think the best value out there is a refurbished 4990 directly from Epson's online store.  Lately, it is been priced at just under $300 including shipping.  You might be able to find a Canon 9950F in that price range but the Canoscan software is a major downer in my opinion.  Nice hardware though...

Doug
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 09:05:48 am by Doug Fisher »

professorgb

scanner recommendations
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 05:40:33 pm »

Thanks, Doug.  I've heard these two recommended before.  I sent my friend to the Epson store, and he likely will buy that scanner.

>>So, what scanner would you recommend for less than $400?  <<

You don't have many choices in the price range.  I think the best value out there is a refurbished 4990 directly from Epson's online store.  Lately, it is been priced at just under $300 including shipping.  You might be able to find a Canon 9950F in that price range but the Canoscan software is a major downer in my opinion.  Nice hardware though...

Doug
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134497\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

arbito

scanner recommendations
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 06:01:18 pm »

Thanks, Doug.  I've heard these two recommended before.  I sent my friend to the Epson store, and he likely will buy that scanner.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Although it may not be powerful enough. Epson just announced the V500 LED scanner. Sounds interesting.

[a href=\"http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/22/epson-intros-led-equipped-perfection-v500-flatbed-scanner/]Epson V500[/url]

More Info At Photography Blog

I'm not very savy when it comes to scanners.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 06:12:05 pm by arbito »
Pages: [1]   Go Up