Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to print a 33"x22" print, on an 17" wide 3800  (Read 2334 times)

Jason F

How to print a 33"x22" print, on an 17" wide 3800
« on: August 20, 2007, 05:12:45 pm »

I wanting to make a print (for our home, not for a client) and after working on the image and it's location to be hung, etc, I've decided that I need to print larger than the 3800 can print.

So that got me to brainstorming, and wondering about printing the image across 2 17x22 sheets (of Premium Luster), then trimming the edge off of one and joining the two together on the vertical axis somehow to make the larger print.

Has anybody done this before? Any advice?

Since the 22" height of the print isn't THAT large, I'm thinking I may be able to get away without any sort of adhesive to join the two images at the center- or should I? (And what product would be best? I really have no idea what to use there)

Or is there another solution that I've overlooked?

Thanks all!

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 06:00:13 pm »

Jason, that might work, but I'm thinking that just for this print, it might be easier to send it out to a lab like WHCC that offers 24" x 36" prints. They can also mount it for you (e.g., to a stiff backing board) so that you won't have any issues keeping the large print perfectly flat.
Eric Chan

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 06:15:03 pm »

I have seen  large murals   with two or more prints  each framed side by side but with space between them.   up to 9.

They are not connected but your mind seems to make the connection and this actually works.

There probably is a name for this technique??

You could print two 17" wide  frame and hang them on the wall??

I am sure others have done this and can give their take on this.

If you absolutely want them to be one image then outsource it to a lab and let the pros do their thing

Coot

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 06:34:36 pm »

I would suggest printing them with an overlap of about one-half inch along the joining side and leave an inch of white space on each end. Lay out the prints as flat as you can and align them, then tape both pieces down on the white ends so they cannot move.
Now slide a 2-inch wide strip of mat board longer than the image under the joining area of the prints to protect the table top and cut through BOTH PRINTS AT THE SAME TIME making a clean single cut with a new sharp razor blade and metal straight edge. Razor blades make thinner cuts than any knife.
Now you are ready to mount the two prints butted together. Alternately, you can realign them and  tape them together on the back side with matte magic mending tape (preferably one long piece) and mount them as one print. Use 3M 568 Positionable Mounting Adhesive or other dry mount.
Not archival, but will last for many years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up