Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: mamiya645's for sports fisheye work  (Read 9909 times)

ben decamp

mamiya645's for sports fisheye work
« on: August 19, 2007, 11:33:26 am »

Due to Mamiya's prolific generation of camera models, I am left confused as to the advantages of certain models for sports photography despite hours of research. My intentions are to use a 24mm fisheye for surf photography inside a waterhousing to swim in the waves. I've narrowed it down to the 645 super, 645 pro TL, 645 afd ii becuase they can achieve shutter speeds of at least 1/1000th. If the first two models don't do what I want I will spring the cash on the AFD ii.
Here are some features I am looking/hoping for:

1) Auto frame advance with a speed grip
2) Fastest frames per second FPS
3) Lightest weight/ compact size
4) Digital back compatible
5) Autofocus is also a thought for surfing photos from the beach.

If all else fails I am also looking into a Pentax 67ii with fisheye, but regretably I believe it cannot accept a digital back.

Many of you might argue why am I trying to move from 35mm and it's practicality for sports photography, and the reason is the image quality. I am frustrated with blowing my photos up to 20x30 and seeing image quality degradation. Thanks for all of your help.

-Ben

ben decamp

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 06:03:30 pm »

Any thoughts?

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 09:16:16 pm »

Digital back choices with the 645 Pro or Super are very limited, i.e. practically none. So, that leaves the 645 AFD or AFD II.
Jack Varney

ben decamp

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 01:36:26 am »

And with full-frame covering a fisheye sensor, it seems I am limited to the AFD-ii with the P45 back as my only option?

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 03:44:39 am »

Due to Mamiya's prolific generation of camera models, I am left confused as to the advantages of certain models for sports photography despite hours of research. My intentions are to use a 24mm fisheye for surf photography inside a waterhousing to swim in the waves. I've narrowed it down to the 645 super, 645 pro TL, 645 afd ii becuase they can achieve shutter speeds of at least 1/1000th. If the first two models don't do what I want I will spring the cash on the AFD ii.
Here are some features I am looking/hoping for:

1) Auto frame advance with a speed grip
2) Fastest frames per second FPS
3) Lightest weight/ compact size
4) Digital back compatible
5) Autofocus is also a thought for surfing photos from the beach.

If all else fails I am also looking into a Pentax 67ii with fisheye, but regretably I believe it cannot accept a digital back.

Many of you might argue why am I trying to move from 35mm and it's practicality for sports photography, and the reason is the image quality. I am frustrated with blowing my photos up to 20x30 and seeing image quality degradation. Thanks for all of your help.

-Ben
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134130\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ben,

I have the 24mm fisheye for my Mamiya ZD Camera. It is a manual focus lens that you need to use stepped down metering on. Thus it is slow to work with. Although DOF field is large for this lens, for the condition you are describing perhaps a 1Ds Mk II/III with AF fisheye is better?

Bear in mind also that medium format is much slower than DSLR and generally has a much more shallow DOF. Perhaps DSLR is more right for your use?

The 24mm fisheye is also discontinued. It does show up on Ebay on occassion. I found mine new in Hong Kong last month.

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 03:45:44 am by Anders_HK »

ben decamp

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 11:19:16 am »

Currently I am using Canon's range of DSLR's, but I found myself wanting to make gigantic prints for art galleries. I still love the colors of 120 film. Even though there isn't a beefed-up motor drive on the Mamiya, I think it could work to make some great photos for my application.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 02:16:11 pm »

Currently I am using Canon's range of DSLR's, but I found myself wanting to make gigantic prints for art galleries. I still love the colors of 120 film. Even though there isn't a beefed-up motor drive on the Mamiya, I think it could work to make some great photos for my application.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134329\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

On a 48x36 sensor the 24mm equals a 17mm fish on 135 terms.

Given you know challenge, if you succeed well it will be spectacular.

Art  

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 02:16:51 pm by Anders_HK »

ben decamp

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 02:31:48 pm »

Anders-
I think it's similar to crop factor with digital cameras. That is the reason why I want to wait for a cheaper full frame digitial back in the next few years to fully utilize the 24mm fisheye to appear like a 15mm on a 135 system.

Thanks,
Ben

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 03:55:52 pm »

One option is the manual focus 645 PRO TL whichis designed to work with the 24 fish eye lens

Sinar backs are available (or were) with a 645 PRO TL Fitting

My experience ofthe ProTL is that is hard to focus becuase of its dark screen

But if you just go for say 2meters focus at f11 it could be the thing

I wouldnt  use the fisheye on the MAM AF series bodies becuase it is stop down only (ie dark) but it does work but no AF either

--

A modern mamiya 28mm lens will have AF and a simlar angle of view to the fisheye nearly and no distortion

I suppose you could digitally add a fisheye effect afterwards if that floats your boat (!) - most people use software to remove the fisheye effect

Probably the best option is the H3d with a 28 - fast good AF

I will report soon on my H1 in housing

SMM
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 04:00:21 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

David Blankenship

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 07:39:25 pm »

One option is the manual focus 645 PRO TL whichis designed to work with the 24 fish eye lens

Sinar backs are available (or were) with a 645 PRO TL Fitting

My experience ofthe ProTL is that is hard to focus becuase of its dark screen

But if you just go for say 2meters focus at f11 it could be the thing

I wouldnt  use the fisheye on the MAM AF series bodies becuase it is stop down only (ie dark) but it does work but no AF either

--

A modern mamiya 28mm lens will have AF and a simlar angle of view to the fisheye nearly and no distortion

I suppose you could digitally add a fisheye effect afterwards if that floats your boat (!) - most people use software to remove the fisheye effect

Probably the best option is the H3d with a 28 - fast good AF

I will report soon on my H1 in housing

SMM
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134376\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sinar and Hasselblad backs are available for the Mamiya Pro & Pro TL and the view finders on the Pro TL is not  as dark as a Pentax 6x7, Bronica S2A, Kowa Super66, Hasselblad 500CM, now those are dark finders.    The Pro  & Pro TL is as bright as my Nikon F100 viewfinder  

db

ben decamp

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 10:58:22 pm »

Can we discuss the differences between the 645 pro TL and 645 super? Are there any features lacking from one model to the other, or tricky user configurations that make it hard to operate? Thank you.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 03:23:07 am »

Can we discuss the differences between the 645 pro TL and 645 super? Are there any features lacking from one model to the other, or tricky user configurations that make it hard to operate? Thank you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136686\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry cant help on the differences.

I have only ever had a TL - looks like the lenses/lens mount is the same

If the film back mount is the same then would work with TL compatable backs ??

If I am not wrong the TL is more advanced and should be a little more user friendly and so cheap now does it matter?

In terms of using the TL with film you can fire it if the darkslide is only removed 'a bit' causing blank frames - I gues that would count as a tricky user configuration !

I am still not sure that you shouldnt go with an AFD2 with AF for all other lenses exept the fish (which will be stopped down and dark to look through)

Depends on your budget and ratio of water to non water work

Even better have a TL for water with the fisheye and an H1 for land (you need a sinar or hassy back for this to be possible)

S

ben decamp

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 12:46:36 pm »

Do you mean to say that when I use the 24mm it will stop down, so that I have to use f/8 instead of f/5.6 for example, or only that the viewfinder is dark? Thanks I appreciate all the help I've been getting here.

RicAgu

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 01:42:13 pm »

The only similarity is the lens mount and the name.  The rest of the body is completely different.

In my opinion, for what you are looking to do you have two options.

Hasselblad H3D with their 28mm lens

Mamiya 645 AFDII with their 28mm len and a P45 back

I would advise the Mamiya PhaseOne solution for your needs.  Let's you grow into a 300mm/2.8 lens with a 2.0x extender for shooting from the Beach.  Talk about an amazing combo and the ability to blow up as big as you want.

The other option is to have your Canon files once tweaked and finalized made into an LVT chrome or neg and then a print made from that.  I have had some great results from this.

Best of luck

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 04:58:45 am »

Do you mean to say that when I use the 24mm it will stop down, so that I have to use f/8 instead of f/5.6 for example, or only that the viewfinder is dark? Thanks I appreciate all the help I've been getting here.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136753\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The 24 and all mamiya manual lenses.

on the PRO TL they work normally stopping  down just automatically before the exposure

on the 645afd they dont communicate with the camera but do fit.

So you manually stop them down (making the vieing image dark)

Typically people stop down just before they take thier picture say on a tripod or , like I used to, go for a compromise setting like F4 which you can both compose with and shoot at

S

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 09:49:07 pm »

Ben,

Bear in mind that Mamiya 24mm fisheye on a ZD has very large DOF, thus perhaps the stepped down metering is not much of an issue?

N.F. is 0.3m.

HF at f4 = 3.72m
HF at f22 = 0.68

Per my calculations DOF at f4;
@0.3m 0.05m
@2m 3m
@4m infinity

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 09:49:43 pm by Anders_HK »

jimgolden

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 11:01:13 pm »

hey ben peeped your site, nice water work man.

seems like a big step to use MF for that stuff...
gotta be another way to make enlargements of that size than

David Blankenship

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 10:46:00 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136686\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ben,

The only difference in the Super from the Pro TL is the built quality and the TTL feature with flash of the Pro TL.  The super is not near as rugged as the Pro or Pro TL.  That includes the exterior shell as well as the metal gears inside the motor drive and film magazines as well.  All parts that fit the Super will work on the Pro & Pro TL and vice versa.  The leaf shutter lenses 55mm, 80mm 150mm LS cannot not be cocked by the Super's motor drive,  only the Pro 401 motor drive will cock the leaf shutter lenses.  Here is the evolution of the mamiya 645 system,  Mamiya 645,  645 1000S,  645j  then the interchangeable back system was developed into the  Mamiya Super,  Mamiya Pro,   Mamiya Pro TL,   Mamiya AF,  Mamiya AFD, and last Mamiya AFD II.

I currently own a Super, Pro and Pro TL bodies and 10  mamiya lens.  The Pro & Pro  TL are beefer more like a Hasselblad  500cm or Pentax 6x7 in built qaility. Only Sinar makes a adapter for the SUPER body,  Hasselblad and Sinar make adapters for the Pro and Pro TL.  Why Leaf  and Phase do not make a adapter for the Pro & Pro TL bodies  just blows my mind, talk about a lost oppurtunity on there part.      

Hope this helps you.
db

ben decamp

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2007, 03:18:54 pm »

Anders- That stepped down metering isn't an issue. I just need about 2 meters at around f/5.6 and looks like I can do that.

Jim- Thanks man I didn't even realize I had my site listed, but I listed it now in my signature. The lack of a burst mode will be hard for this kind of photography, but I think the results could be well worth it. After 20 x30 prints, I see the quality reduce in my prints and it's something I want to avoid. I'm hoping to make prints around 5 feet on the longest side with this format.

David-Thanks for breaking it down between the models. It clears up a lot of my misconceptions, as well as realizing the compaitiblity for the future when I save up enough for a Phase/Hasselblad back.

jimgolden

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2007, 04:56:41 pm »

ben - you didnt, I googled you...I'm a skater/snow/surfer...

I think there are options out there to still use 35mm FF cameras. the new 1Ds MK3 or MK2 w/ high end optics (ie zeis or the like w/ an adapter) might be able to coax more out of the image.

uprez, and some work in the conversion and sharpening will help. plus rez goes down after you hit the 24x36" (@350DPI) litho quality mark, seriously, look into it...might be able to find something and save yourself some agony AND bread...

just my $.02

good luck - most of all keep making killer water images
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 04:57:53 pm by jimgolden »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up