Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delaware Water Gap  (Read 2998 times)

harlanlampert

Delaware Water Gap
« on: August 19, 2007, 10:37:14 am »

Hi all,

I know there are fabulous colors there, but could someone point to specific places.  Thanks.

Harlan

lightstand

Delaware Water Gap
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:06:39 am »

Never gone there for foliage pictures, but I love to kayak the creeks in that area & the Ravens-kill has some nice waterfalls on it that are obviously very picturesque.

framah

Delaware Water Gap
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 12:24:56 pm »

On I-80 at the last exit in NJ, get off there and there is a parking lot with numerous trails to the top of the Water Gap. The view from the top is spectacular!!

Also Look for a trail up to Sunfish Pond. Rt 615 is the road off  I-80 and follows the river. A few miles up the road should be an area to park for the trails up to Sunfish Pond.

The Appalachian Trail goes thru the Water Gap so you could hit that also.

If you have time, you want to also head farther north  ( apx 20 - 30 miles) and go to Stokes State Forest. Now THERE is where you really want to go for the great fall colors shots!!  Check out a map of the area.

Have fun!!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Gmike

Delaware Water Gap
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 09:20:05 am »

I’ve shot images in that park over every season for over 10 years for good reason, it has a large diverse of public land. (Hint stay away from Marshalls Creek on weekends as traffic can be a nightmare) There is a road the follows the Delaware from Rt 80 in the Gap area north to Bushkill. Keep your eyes open as this has some great area’s and explore side roads.

The main feature for me is not the Water Gap area, although scenic on its own, it’s a little limited, and if you are lazy, or not as mobile it can be a long steep outing. Look at a map of Rt 209 from Bushkill to Milford. This area is the real gem and explore the forest roads coming down off the hills on the west, and also the ravines. The ravines hold a vast number of waterfalls (Some well know and well developed) other much less, but just as beautiful. Also some old growth forests exist (mostly confined to the steep ravines)   On the highlands on the western side you can explore on many forest roads and find swamps, meadows, and lakes. All with out the typical Pocono billboards and vacation homes, and most importantly those nasty no trespassing signs. You will also find some other great scenes for photography some you would not expect in a park, but I don’t want to give it all away.

Early to mid October is usual peak. The elevation difference from west to east will change the peak fall times about a week or so. (So shoot the high lands 1st then the low lands turn peak)

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up