Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alain Briot's Reflections #8  (Read 53213 times)

Rob C

Alain Briot's Reflections #8
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2007, 04:17:32 am »

Rob,
This is still not clear   . You've previously stated you believe that creativity is something you are either born with or not. It cannot be taught. Now you are going back even further than the moment of birth and claiming that it's at the moment of conception when a person's creativity is determined.

The anti-abortionists will love you for such views   .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135162\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ray, I have total belief in magic moments, the Earth moving and so on. I have no belief in personality being a product of gestation periods. How many creative elephants have you spoken with?

However, I have recently been told that creativity is to be had by buying into brand X´s formula of available goodies.

Ciao - Rob C
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 11:52:59 am by Rob C »

Ray

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2007, 08:23:42 am »

I have no belief in personality being a product of gestation periods. How many creative elephants have you spoken with?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135220\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Rob,
I have not spoken to any creative elephants, that I recall, but I might have. However, I can confirm that I've photographed 'apparently' creative elephants that would appear to have been spoken to by their trainers. Will that do?  

The abstract painting completed by the elephant in the following photo was offered for sale for a mere 50 bucks, but I missed the opportunity to buy it. I was too busy taking photos to get out my wallet and someone else snapped it up.  

[attachment=3080:attachment]

russell a

• www.russarmstrong.com
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2007, 11:34:03 am »

The abstract painting completed by the elephant in the following photo was offered for sale for a mere 50 bucks, but I missed the opportunity to buy it. I was too busy taking photos to get out my wallet and someone else snapped it up.   

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135415\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
There are a couple of things I really like about this elephant photo.  First is that the trainer is right there to suggest changing colors, etc.  Just the kind of relationship that art handlers like to have with their artists.  Read the biography of Willem deKooning. He received similar help when he was painting in his "Alzheimer's Period".  Then note the position of the left rear leg.  If the elephant is suppressing a need to urinate, that will lend a certain urgency to the expression.  For all I know, that might have been another trick of the Abstract Expressionists.

Rob C

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2007, 12:03:16 pm »

Whilst you were most observant, Russell, about the creature´s lavatorial needs, but did you also realise that it is only our ability to read the notice behind said elephant that allows us to know that it is indeed an elephant? It is sad to think that the illiterate will never know that they were looking at an elephant. Do you think the elephant was literate too? What did you think at the time, Ray?

It strikes me, as an aside to the DOF matter running around the forum, that the little girl to the elephant´s right is sitting in a very dangerous area.

Ciao - Rob C
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 12:05:29 pm by Rob C »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2007, 12:05:28 pm »

Rob,
I have not spoken to any creative elephants, that I recall, but I might have. However, I can confirm that I've photographed 'apparently' creative elephants that would appear to have been spoken to by their trainers. Will that do?   

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135415\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ray,

The way I read the photo is this: The elephant is stamping his/her (?) foot in disgust, muttering "Dagnabbit! Why didn't I clean the sensor on my 5D before I went shooting, or at least clone out the dust spots in PS. Now I have to dab Spottone all over the otherwise finished print."
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2007, 12:08:25 pm »

Eric, you see no dung; what more can either elephant or Ray do or not do that will please you?

Rob C

Ray

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2007, 06:22:41 pm »

As you can see, this is a young elephant who is still learning the intricacies of painting technique. The lifting of the left leg is an indication of right brain activity, the creative part of the brain. As you know, the right brain also controls the left side of the body so I see the lifting of the left leg as a sign that the elephant is trying hard and really concentrating, pretty much in the way that youngsters sometimes stick out the tip of their tongue when struggling to write or draw   .

The apparent position of the lady at the elephant's rear is unfortunate. The stadium was very crowded and I had trouble moving around to get the desired perspective.

Rob C

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2007, 03:09:57 pm »

As you can see, this is a young elephant who is still learning the intricacies of painting technique. The lifting of the left leg is an indication of right brain activity, the creative part of the brain. As you know, the right brain also controls the left side of the body so I see the lifting of the left leg as a sign that the elephant is trying hard and really concentrating, pretty much in the way that youngsters sometimes stick out the tip of their tongue when struggling to write or draw   .

The apparent position of the lady at the elephant's rear is unfortunate. The stadium was very crowded and I had trouble moving around to get the desired perspective.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135505\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ah so - you have admitted it! You took a lot of trouble moving around in cramped conditions just catch a  poor, unfortunate damsel in the desired perspective; you will go far, should you think of a new career in the post-Fellini world of Mr Paparazzo; you may not get the Via Veneto as your patch, but SEAsia can´t be far behind in its offerings of the weird and the wicked! Congratulations are in order, both for perseverance and for that study in DOF control, which was where I think we came in.

Rob C

Chris_T

« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2007, 09:54:27 am »

This image is obviously about elephant constipation. As noted, there is no dung, but the beast's raised leg and gaping mouth says it is trying hard. The vet in the blue shirt at the right is wondering why the laxative is not working. Behind him the photog in the orange shirt is ready to capture the decisive moment.

Art and interpretation are in the eye of a beholder.

Ray, sorry to pick on you, again.  

Eric, you see no dung; what more can either elephant or Ray do or not do that will please you?

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135452\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up