Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Which features would you like Lightroom to get?  (Read 10592 times)

The View

Which features would you like Lightroom to get?
« on: August 18, 2007, 12:19:32 pm »

1. I would like to have access to shooting data in develop mode.

2. I would like to compare more than two versions/snapshots of an image in develop mode.

Lightroom needs a "compare" function, that compares snapshots. The fact that you have no compare and develop functions in the same module is the biggest downside Lightroom has at this time. I hope there will be a fix to this. It would be such an improvement for the workflow.

The copy settings(before/after) is awkward to use. And it can only show two images at a time.

Sure, you can work with virtual copies. But you can only compare them in the library mode right next to each other, and have to switch back into develop for adjustments. (the quick adjust doesn't do it for me. I never use it). Too much switching involved.

3. Add check boxes next to the  snapshots, so you can delete them by the batch when you are done. I sometimes have fifteen or more snapshot taking up space in the panel, and for erasing them, you have to load them one by one. Slow!

4. I would like to have a shortcut for "import from a device".

5. The library should get a one-key shortcut like the develop module has.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 03:57:28 pm »

5. The library should get a one-key shortcut like the develop module has.

Your wish is granted!  You can use g for Library grid view, e for Library Loupe view.

--John

pobrien3

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 02:20:36 am »

Be able to deal with larger files.  I have a great many 6x7 scans and panos that I can't access or manage with LR

The View

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 03:22:58 am »

I don't know how others deal with the "send images out to a printer" problem.

As far as I know, Lightroom cannot do CMYK conversions. But about every printer wants CMYK documents. I doubt that converting to PSD would change that.

Maybe I am wrong here and don't know a particular feature of Lightroom, but if this is true, then Lightroom isn't yet a truly professional application.

How can I get my files printed without that conversion? As far as I know, when you deliver RGB files to a printer, it will mess up the colors and the mood.

So, CMYK converion seems to be a must.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

dilip

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 11:00:36 am »

my list?

1.  Soft proofing
2.  Soft proofing
3.  The ability to have a print template that has some cells portait with others landscape so I can actually maximize the number of photos per page.
4.  The ability to do #3 while soft proofing.

--dilip

monkeydeus

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 01:48:49 pm »

1) I think there needs to be a "range" control of some kind for the color adjustments.  It's too easy to posterize details because of a color discrepancy between edges and surfaces.  I'm talking a range adjuster similar to that found in PS when you use a hue/saturation adjustment on a specific color.

2) Naming/Stacking: You should be able to do a "save as" in photoshop to give an image a name you choose, without breaking the link to a stack in LR.  If you have a raw image, and edit it in ps, you'll get Myraw-edit.psd, or something like that, according to your naming tokens.  If you want to edit that edit, say make a version for the web in PS, you'll get Myraw-edit-edit.psd or something.  If you try and rename in it PS, it will not be considered part of the stack in LR.

3)  Granted the colorspace is different, but why aren't there color checker points available as in ACR?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 02:03:04 pm by monkeydeus »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 02:01:08 pm »

I don't know how others deal with the "send images out to a printer" problem.

As far as I know, Lightroom cannot do CMYK conversions. But about every printer wants CMYK documents. I doubt that converting to PSD would change that.

Maybe I am wrong here and don't know a particular feature of Lightroom, but if this is true, then Lightroom isn't yet a truly professional application.

How can I get my files printed without that conversion? As far as I know, when you deliver RGB files to a printer, it will mess up the colors and the mood.

So, CMYK converion seems to be a must.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134078\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LR can't do CMYK conversions (and I see little reason for this, that's what Photoshop is for). Most printers require RGB data to be sent, so you're fine as long as you're not hooked up to a printing press. Adding CMYK conversions would greatly complicate the application and right now, it needs more RGB printing support (soft proofing) since most users will print directly to desktop printers which by and large expect RGB data. I'd far prefer to see a print History than CMYK conversions.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

picnic

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 05:14:12 pm »

it needs more RGB printing support (soft proofing) since most users will print directly to desktop printers which by and large expect RGB data. I'd far prefer to see a print History than CMYK conversions.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135299\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd like the softproofing plus a more complex (or complete or whatever--more than a SMH) sharpening.  I sharpen for output in PS with PKS (where I'm also printing from now because of using softproofing with the 3800) though I am now doing capture sharpening in LR.

Diane

reissme

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 05:57:09 pm »

Hi,
Most Importantly:

1. I would like to have quick 100% enlargment into sharp picture, ("loading") in 5 seconds for files of 16.7 mega pixles from Canon 1Ds mII. (It now takes long 20 seconds of "loading time" to show sharpness)

2. If it is not possible, at least make a magnifying glass to enlarge important parts of the photograph.

3. In "Develop" mode I would like to have a before and after "check" box in each tool.

4. make slidig rulers less sensitive so it will not slip away and make it difficult to work.

best regards,
Menachem Reiss

new site: www.reiss.co.il

vandevanterSH

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 01:11:08 am »

1) Soft proofing
2)output sharpening

Seve

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 01:28:05 am »

And you guys realize that posting wish list items HERE won't be doing much good if the goal is to actually get them in front of the noses of the Lightroom engineers (unless you're hoping Micheal and I cary them back–which unless they are really, really special and good ideas that WE take credit for, ain't gonna happen).

The only way to improve your odds are to post ideas in the Lightroom Feature Request forum set up just for such use.

Lightroom Feature Requests

Which is not to say that the engineers WILL read them, just that the odds of them reading them go WAY up...

But hey, if you don't care if it's a waste of time, have at it...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 01:35:13 am »

Hi!

Here is my wishlist.

1) Support for plugins
2) Distortion control (like Pt-lens)
3) Restituition (Perspective control)
4) Device dependent presets. Let say that I want to do a slide show for presentation on a DLP projector. I would increase saturation and contrast a bit. For printing another bias would be needed. I would like to have presets that act as bias on the setting for each picture.
5) Better integration with Photoshop (using Actions/Scripting). I think that the "edit a copy" solution is contrary to the whole idea of parametric editing.

All that said I feel that Lightroom is an excellent product and very usable, especially regarding that it is version 1.1.

Best regards

Erik
Erik Kaffehr

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 11:15:40 am »

Well I dont think its a bad idea to have a thread on this.

As for Mr Schewe's comments, I am sure he is right about the best place to maybe get your voice heard is in the adobe forums.

However I think just about everything anyone can think of has been brought up in that place, and probably here as well.

Its up to adobe "to tap into" what buyers and users want.

As for LR features its all been said before really, I have no interest in trying to make LR a mini photoshop, I dont even use photoshop (wow shocking eh?).

Some tweaks here and there, distortion and perspective correction is really a must being honest. Not a lot else I really want, wouldnt hurt to tidy up the code a bit..a tad faster maybe. Beef up the web and slideshow modules.

As an end user my concern is does this product deliver what I need it to, aka for working photography, and yes it very much does. I hope adobe can resist the temptation to make it too overloaded with features, after all its speed and ease of use that I look for. I want to be out taking pictures more than sat at a desk, and LR is to me a good way to zip thorough assignments.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 11:17:52 am by barryfitzgerald »

The View

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 01:48:17 am »

I also think it's fine we have a thread here, to discuss our wishes among us. There will be no such thing that a single customer will see the effect of uttering his wishes anyway.

If Adobe marketing and PR are smart, they'll read the discussions here too. After all, this is a heavily Adobe oriented forum. (Posts in the Aperture threads seem to occur only one every other year).

I went to the feature request site, and it's quite interesting to see that many high profile users would like Lightroom to become a more able database, which can work in CMYK. Because many have run into trouble when interacting with printing houses.

Others wish, Lightroom could least import CMYK, so everything is together.

At the same time it seems that the software engineers do not plan to do anything about CMYK in Lightroom anytime soon.

Now this will be interesting: who has the say about software features at Adobe. The customers? The software engineers? The marketing department? The executives?

So, regarding CMYK, for example, and all the other features, it will depend on how many want those features, and if adding them would be an economic win for Adobe.

sloow

• http://paullitherland.com
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 11:14:55 am »

I would like to see:

- perspective control in the crop function
- lens distortion control

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 11:21:15 pm »

Bug free and fast responding is way above any new feature. It's way too slow and buggy for me to be able bear using at the moment.    But then compared to Bridge 2. It's like lightning.
So I use Opus instead to browse my images and use ACR/PS instead
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 11:22:28 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

oldcsar

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 11:47:50 pm »

1) A capture sharpening method similar to Focus Magic, which emphasizes the focused details and semi-focused details with more proportion than out of focus detail.

2) An option to open individual files alongside the library system. Allow people to use the Develop module on single files, and export them without having to add them to the database... or there could be a temporary part of the database where they are stored in, and the user can customize the length of time they're stored in the database. This may give people who are wary of the database/importation system more incentive to use lightroom. Also, user configurable options (or a wizard) to optimize the speed of the database, such as mass removing files from the database (but not deleting) that have not been accessed for a determined amount of time, or to automatically back those files up in an archive and delete/remove them from the database.

3) More convenient solutions in the GUI to solve missing files in the database, such as easily assigning new filepaths to (mass) files that the user may have moved to a different drive, partition, etc.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 11:58:24 pm by oldcsar »
Brendan Wiebe
 [url=http://smg.photobucke

perekaris

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 08:19:29 am »

Just to second some of the comments before:
1.   perspective control something like lens correction in PS
2.   faster loading of 100% images (or at least a loupe view)

My wish list for keywording:

3.   allow the “will export” screen to be permanently visible below the “enter keywords” box as it was in LR1.0, so I can be sure I’m picking up the correctly nested keyword without the extra 4 mouse clicks needed in 1.1
4.   a way of turning off the tooltip “An asterisk (*) means that a tag is applied to only some of the selected photos” – which is a useful message the first couple of times it shows, but soon just gets in the way and stops me seeing the existing keywords when I’m clicking there to add new ones.
5.   a button in the keyword area to allocate all the keywords showing in “enter keywords” to all the selected photos. So if I select two or more similar pictures, but the keywords differ, then loads of asterisks show in the keywords window – the odds are that all those keywords should be applied to all the selected pictures, and a single mouse click could remove the asterisks.

LR is by far the best program I've found for keywording, so much so that I’m trying to get my pics keyworded properly, hence these comments.

larsrc

• http://
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 05:02:29 am »

I see a lot of useful suggestions here (and surprisingly few that go beyond what LR is trying to be), so I won't repeat them.  One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the ability to perform an external action on multiple images, for purposes of panoramas, HDR, noise reduction etc.

-Lars

Kevin W Smith

• http://www.kevinwsmith.com
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 08:27:59 pm »

My wishlist isn't really a wishlist, I just think the whole thing could use a complete re-think. I can't use it (PC version) because of all the bugs, but others seems to be doing OK with it on Mac's so rock on.

Yes it's great that you can convert RAWs and print directly from Lightroom as opposed to other asset managers like iView (oops, Microsoft Expression) and Photo Mechanic, but that really isn't important for the work I do. I prefer it's RAW conversion too over ACR 3.x, but understand the LR engine is part of CS3, which is in the budget for next month.

What I like about Bridge is that you're always looking at and working with the actual file instead of an imported rendering of it. I greatly prefer that "hands on" paradigm, and would greatly prefer that they put the development resources into Bridge (turn it into an asset manager) than Lightroom, which I dislike on so many, many levels. Sadly, they're not heading that way and want you to buy Lightroom instead.

The main thing I dislike about it is the 1980's DOS video game interface. It really looks like a toy, which is surprising from a company like Adobe, whose UI's have been consistently clean and intuitive until now.

Other dislikes are all the bugs that stopped me from using 1.0, like it being able to import some PSD's but not others in the same folder, without any technical reason why (a bug). Import speed lags behind Expression and Photo Mechanic too. 1.0 did some weird things to EXIF data too that was another glaring bug that should have been caught during beta testing. And now I've read reports about import speed of 1.1 being an order of magnitude slower than 1.0. Backwards is not a good direction to be heading in!

But mostly it's the interface that grinds on me, it's really just atrocious. Ugly and difficult, with virtually no resemblance to any of their other products. Why?

I would have posted this in the Adobe forum Jeff pointed us to, but it would fall in deaf ears there too since they aren't going to start over, and they aren't going to make Bridge the asset manager it could be because it would compete with their own product.

Oh well. I'll see if things improve in LR2, if not I'll just keep using the workflow I've been using: MS raw file viewer utility, which lets me see the RAW's in a folder without opening Bridge (great for confirming CF downloads because the previews are MUCH faster than Bridge), followed by Bridge to sort and rate, then ACR-> Photoshop for all the real work.

Kevin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up