Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 died  (Read 9243 times)

daniel voges

Z3100 died
« on: August 18, 2007, 06:43:17 am »

Hi, when I switch on my Z3100 the front panel light up and the graphic bar stay at 0 %. After awhile error code 08:11 That say you must restart the printer and if nothing happens you must call your service tech apprears. Anybody had this before. Hope by the time the tech arrives after the weekend the print heads will still be ok.

Charles Gast

Z3100 died
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 08:18:32 am »

Hi, when I switch on my Z3100 the front panel light up and the graphic bar stay at 0 %. After awhile error code 08:11 That say you must restart the printer and if nothing happens you must call your service tech apprears. Anybody had this before. Hope by the time the tech arrives after the weekend the print heads will still be ok.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133990\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I saw this message after the printer was accidentally unplugged while running. When turned back on it was not happy at all. It took two or three reboots and a good half an hour or so of startups and shutdowns.
The computer in the printer may need to run chkdsk if it had a bad shutdown. It can seem nothing is happening with the printer while this is taking place and it can take a long time.

Hope this helps

Geoff Wittig

Z3100 died
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 06:04:25 pm »

I saw the same message once when powering up my Z3100 a few months back; I just rebooted once and all was well. I know HP recommends leaving the printer on all the time. Unfortunately, on my exposed rural hilltop we get occasional thunderstorms most of the summer, and from past bitter experience I have learned it's necessary to power down and unplug every expensive electronic device I don't want to replace when lightning is active. And, no, surge suppressors are not enough. Our television got thoroughly fried by a nearby lightning strike despite a fairly good surge suppressor.

DotCom Editor

Z3100 died
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:05:32 pm »

Geoff, may I suggest a hefty UPS. As we know, an Uninterruptible Power Supply is known best for what it does only very rarely -- provide backup power in the event of a total power loss, giving you enough time to do a graceful shutdown.

The REAL day-to-day benefit of a UPS is "power conditioning," boosting voltage to normal levels in the event of a brownout, and, in the event of a power surge, clipping off those dangerous instantaneous voltage spikes that can easily fry one's equipment.

Every, yes, every piece of computer and hi-fi equipment in my house is protected by a phalanx of UPS devices. The only thing that I don't have plugged in are my laser printers, which don't need to run when the power is out.

Indeed, with my routers, switches, cable modem, and a couple of fluorescent floor lamps all UPS protected, I can still communicate with the outside world when that big tree across the street falls and brings down the electrical wires -- which it did a couple of months ago. My 2TB RAID storage system also is protected.

And remember, longer UPS run times are achieved by adding auxilliary batteries to a correctly sized UPS, not by buying a unit with a needlessly high KVa rating.

casterle

Z3100 died
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 01:35:57 am »

According to HP support, 08:11 means the printer is having trouble communicating with the front panel. I've seen this error once.

I've also seen 22.2:10, which is an error communicating with one of the ink cartridge banks.

I've also had the printer lock up several times, always while it's just idling. I've only had the printer (a 24" ps model) for a couple of weeks and am getting a bit worried.

Is anyone else having these types of problems?

casterle

Z3100 died
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 01:48:07 am »

Geoff, may I suggest a hefty UPS. As we know, an Uninterruptible Power Supply is known best for what it does only very rarely -- provide backup power in the event of a total power loss, giving you enough time to do a graceful shutdown.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134682\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Amen to that. I live in Casper, Wyoming. This year we're getting frequent violent thunderstorms and power surges seem to go with the territory, so a good UPS is a requirement.

I had an HP service tech out to swap my star wheel assembly (due to the glossy surface marking problem). He told me that I might be having the lock up problems *because* I'm using a UPS, and that I should get rid of it and use only a surge protector!

I checked with HP tech support (who contacted an engineer to verify) and was told that a UPS was a very good idea.

daniel voges

Z3100 died
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 08:40:20 am »

Hi,
It turned out my hard drive is faulty, Waiting for a new board to arrive. The HDD is mounted on the board where you plug in the ethernet connector. It looks like a 40 gig notebook drive. Since I dont have a service contract with HP I wondered if I should make a backup copy of the drive when the new one arrives.

Regards.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Z3100 died
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 11:30:08 am »

You probably don't need to unless you have a lot of custom profiles and calibrations, custom media set ups.
Normally you can easily upload the profiles to the new hard drive via the utility. Not sure about the .oms files, or custom settings.
Yes they are simple 2.5" hard drives. The PS model has an Adobe embedded RIP on the same card, and more memory. They are easy to swop out, but you have to really assure a good solid contact into the mother board.

casterle

Z3100 died
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 03:08:47 pm »

Normally you can easily upload the profiles to the new hard drive via the utility. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135041\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Neil. Do you know of a way to load an icc profile without having to load the corresponding paper and reprint a color calibration?

TIA!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 11:04:03 pm by casterle »

adiallo

Z3100 died
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 03:20:24 pm »

Since I dont have a service contract with HP I wondered if I should make a backup copy of the drive when the new one arrives.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135013\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The Z comes standard with a 1 yr service contract, and since it was released less than 12 months ago, you should be covered.
amadou diallo
[url=http://blogfiftygreat

equiason

Re: Z3100 died
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 11:13:54 am »

Thanks to Charles Gast for solving my problem.  I just had an 08:11 error.  I turned the printer on and off about five times as Charles Gast suggested and it is now working again.  Didn't have to call service to solve the problem.

deanwork

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 02:46:59 pm »

Sounds like your logic board may be on the way out, or maybe not.

Also I've found with my Z that using an older surge protector caused all kinds of strange things to happen with the main board. When I plugged it directly into the wall they went away. But eventually that Hitachi hard drive is gonna go and I'd have it replaced before you end up with a $1,500.00 service call for that. They can send you one in the mail and you just pop it in. BUT, you have to PROVE to them that it is not functioning. If it just happens every now and then and then returns to normal they won't send you one.

john

equiason

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 09:02:19 pm »

Thanks for the tip, Deanwork.  Unfortunately, my warranty has expired.
Pages: [1]   Go Up