Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Download Video on TV  (Read 48954 times)

Robert.D

• Inspiration_in_print.co.uk
Download Video on TV
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2007, 03:50:36 pm »

Chrissand

any transfer of video encoding will result in loss of quality I was only advising the way with the least loss.
I would would not use a TV instead of a Calibrated Monitor the distortion and tone shift would devalue the content of any tutorial/Video journal in my opinion.

Robert

Frank Doorhof

• http://
Download Video on TV
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2007, 07:23:49 am »

Or use a calibrated TV/projector

ned

Download Video on TV
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 01:04:07 pm »

I tried a couple of things, one works one does not.

First I tried streaming from my computer to my xbox 360 using TVersity. TVersity is a free download... Works great, as long as the source is NOT a .mov file. TVersity attempts to transcode .mov on the fly and convert it to a source which is playable on the Xbox. Although I have read that this is compatible if you use 3rd party plug ins, I could never get it to work after many hours of trying. It did display my file one time, but the second attempt to get that same file to work failed. I could never get it to work again.

I just purchased TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 with DIVX Authoring. This allows you to burn to DVD's. This solution works great. Nice letter box output (or other formats) and sync'ed audio with no issues at all. It will let you create very nice menu systems, and a whole bunch of other stuff I will never use.

I really wanted to be able to stream .mov files like I do with mpeg video, my music files and photos. But it turned out to be a big waste of time.

So if you don't mind spending 90 bucks on software, TMPGEnc works fine.

Regards,

Ned

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Download Video on TV
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 01:17:34 pm »

Yeah, for our recent stuff, I have tried to stay away from .mov files and have posted most everything as H264 encoded .mp4 files. I take it from your post that these files have worked on the TVersity?
CS

DarkPenguin

Download Video on TV
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 04:24:04 pm »

I'm running my old pc and J. River Media Center connected to my TV via a nice HDMI cable.  As the TV is basically a big computer monitor this works fine.

This is proving to be a nice setup.  I can put a new set of files on this thing and do an initial preview of all my images on a really big screen.  Way cool.

ned

Download Video on TV
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 09:56:53 am »

I posted earlier my experience with Tversity. I couldn't get it to work with a .mov file. Just the other day I down loaded the latest version. We'll the stars must have been aligned because now it works. :-)

I am able to stream the videos, even the LR2 Hi-dev videos over my wireless network and output them to my xbox 360 for display.  Cool. Only "problem" I have is if I set the resolution to anything above 800x600 in the Tversity software the video will pause while the buffer catches up. Not sure of the cause, it could be that my wireless network is not fast enough to keep up. But even at 600x400 output to my Sharp LCD TV it is very usable.

This is exactly what I have been looking for. I store all of my LL videos on my PC, and I simply use the xbox remote to navigate to the video, sit back sip some scotch and enjoy!

Highly Recommended

svein-frode

Download Video on TV
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 03:53:53 pm »

I view LL videos on a 46" Sony LCD Full-HD TV. I connect my computer to the TV with a standard monitor cable and use it as a second monitor. I use Nero ShowTime as my viewing software. I am very happy with the results! Production is top notch. Keep up the good work Chris!
Svein-Frode, Arctic Norway
 [url=http://w

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
Download Video on TV
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 06:18:34 pm »

Actually, I gave up trying to watch the L-L downloads - haven't even watched the last one completely.  As much as I enjoyed the L-L videos (I have all of them), it became too much of a hassle.  The download plays OK with Quicktime but Quicktime takes over my business computer and really messes up the default file associations.  Supposedly the Quicktime file associations can be configured but that feature doesn't seem to work for me.  So to watch L-L I have to install Quicktime, then uninstall and re-configure my computer.

Previously I was able to use AoA DVD converter to make my own DVD for TV playback but that software no longer seems to work on the L-L downloads.

Instead of a pleasant evening watching L-L DVD on the TV, the download and processing became an exercise in frustration.  There's a good chance that I'm not the only one feeling this way as I'm otherwise considered fairly adept at these computer thingies.

The strangest aspect of this frustration from my point of view is that I fully supported the change from mailing to download.  In fact, changing to download is exactly what I would have done under the circumstances.  I just can't get a usable product out of it.
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

michael

Download Video on TV
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 08:25:22 am »

Gordon,

Sorry to hear that it isn't working for you.

Since many thousands of people have been downloading and watching the videos successfully over the years I can only assume that the problems that you're having have something to do with your particular computer and set up.

Have you tried using VLC or some other player besides Quicktime?

Michael

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
Download Video on TV
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 01:24:13 pm »

Gordon,

Sorry to hear that it isn't working for you.

Since many thousands of people have been downloading and watching the videos successfully over the years I can only assume that the problems that you're having have something to do with your particular computer and set up.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215981\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm sure that the problem lies in my setup and my own skills but can't find a workaround.  I gave up in frustration but will be trying again.
Gordon

vandevanterSH

Download Video on TV
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2008, 09:33:06 pm »

Would it be possible to offer an Apple TV friendly download?  It would seem to me to be more efficient to do one conversion rather than having 100s/1000s(?) of people doing it at home.  

Steve

Bob Nicholson

• http://www.airpixuk.com
Download Video on TV
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 03:25:13 am »

another vote for TMPGEnc Dvd Author, it does a good job. BUT it could not cope with the recent LR2 HD video, I had to get the SD version to get it to a DVD for TV use.

Bob

I don't mind watching some shorter segments on the computer, but my preferred platform is still the TV.  I'm running Windows and tried a number of different programs (more than I would have liked) - including AoA and Nero - which had audio and skipping problems.  Finally found TMPGEnc Dvd Author which provided a clean, good quality conversion and decent menu templates.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141861\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

billg71

• http://www.billgrahamphotography.com
Download Video on TV
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2008, 08:50:26 pm »

Cris,

I just got finished burning the LR2 Guide to DVD using Nerovision 5.3.9 and the results are excellent. I just brought the files into Nero until I filled up a disc, did some combining and chapter splits to clean up the menu and burned. It took 3 dual-layers and one single-layer.

Viewed through a Sony player, component output into a Sony HD monitor, the video is comparable to what I see on the computer screen. No lags in audio, video breakups or any other problems.

Same results with the C2P video and the first LR guide, although with a previous Nero version.

I wish you guys would make these available on DVD but I understand the drawbacks from your POV. It would just save me some time.

Thanx for a great job,

Bill

P.S.  Gordon, try QTlite http://www.codecguide.com/qt_lite.htm It allows you to play QT videos in your browser but doesn't muck with your file associations or eat up system resources. My default player for .mov files is Nero but I can also play them through WMP so maybe it installs a codec for the Apple files. FWIW, I also have iTunes installed but it isn't the default player for anything. HTH....
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 08:59:17 pm by billg71 »
[span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'][span style='color:blue']"The doctor told how he was once fishing in the Wind River area of Wyoming and he looked up and far above on the side of the canyon two dogs sat on a rock peeking at him from the brush that surrounded the rock. Only they weren't dogs, they were coyotes. They were curious about what he might be doing standing in a river waving a stick." [span style='color:black']Jim Harrison, Farmer[/span][/span][/span]

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
Download Video on TV
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2008, 09:35:53 pm »

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215981\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the tip about VLC -- it works just fine.  I disassociated all file types before installing just to be sure.  

I'm glad this thread resumed.  I'll probably be trying some of the other programs that have been mentioned to get a TV version.

My wife really enjoys the less technical parts of the LLVJ but she's not going to sit in front of a computer to watch it.
Gordon

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
Download Video on TV
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2008, 10:32:45 pm »

I used QT Pro on my MacPro 8-core to convert the LR 2.0 Tutorial to Apple TV compatible files. Michael and Jeff are almost life size (well maybe not Jeff) on my 55" plasma TV.

I did the same for the HD versions of LLVJ - awesome!

Bud James
North Wales, PA.
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

Peter Mellis

Download Video on TV
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2008, 04:04:04 pm »

I would like to convert the Journal and tutorial downloads to DVD format for more comfortable viewing. I've read through this thread and besides being confused by the jargon, I have the impression that there isn't a good way, results wise, to do this. If it's not doable at this time, I'll continue along on the computer/tv setup that I have. If there is a way that it can be done simply, with good results, I'd appreciate a recommendation as to what software to use. I'm using Windows XP, on a PC and although computer literate, am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks for your assistance.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Download Video on TV
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2008, 05:18:28 pm »

I watch them on a 120" projector screen, outputting from PC via dual DVI outputs, directly from iTunes. I'd prefer to have the files in .wmv or .avi format, as then I'd be able to stream from my PC to PS3 using TVersity Media Server without having to set up the computer screen.

I agree with some of the comments: having a single file to download would make my life much easier. Having to download a bunch of zip files, open them up, import them to iTunes, and watch them one-by-one (haven't found a way to continuously play video files in iTunes) is quite annoying. Having a good selection of video formats preferably in one (zip or not) file would go a long way towards easing that.

A huge advantage is the lack of DRM, which I extend my sincerest thanks to you, Michael, and whoever else is involved. I wouldn't touch a DRMd file at all due to the additional hassle involved, treating customers as potential criminals, and the possibility of losing access to the files when/if something goes wrong.

And to ease bandwidth pressures, going to an optional torrent download might help. You could set up a passworded torrent tracker and offload much of the bandwidth to elsewhere. This would be especially useful during the first few days of releasing a new video. Pure Pwnage (a Canadian computer gaming series) has been using bittorrent for years very successfully.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:19:37 pm by feppe »

Scott McGee

• http://www.alaskaphotos.biz
Download Video on TV
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 11:46:45 pm »

I use my TiVo to watch the LLVJ downloads on a 42" HDTV. Quality is great and it's very simple. Basically, you tell the TiVo Desktop software where to look for video files on your computer, then it automatically transfers the videos to the TiVo. Then, just go to the TV and watch. Works great.

Scott McGee [url=http://www.alaskaphoto

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Download Video on TV
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2008, 02:12:19 am »

As a spoiled Mac user, I expect things to simply work. Here is how I watch LLVJ on HDTV in three easy steps:

1. Download to Mac

2. Using Sony Playstation 3 and MediaLink ($20), find the downloaded file and copy it to PS3

3. Watch it on HDTV (even standard-definition LLVJs look damn good)

Simple enough?

Before I discovered MediaLink, I tried to create a DVD using Apple's iDVD, but the process and end result is PITA. I takes too long (as in hours), a single LLVJ could not fit on a single 4.7 GB disk, and the end quality is as lousy as any standard-definition program on a HDTV.

reyn_two

Download Video on TV
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2009, 11:51:29 am »

Does anyone really understand this video stuff? I want to watch the LL_L2 tutorial on my TV sitting comfortably eating chocolate and drinking a glass of wine, and I will. The video player I have is a Panasonic and I want to use DVD-RAM disks which seem to have a particular video format of DVD-VR which use a DVD_RTAV wrapper to hold the files and not the DVD-VOB wrapper associated with the DVD-VIDEO format.
I have tried numerous programs to try and encode/recode or whatever it's called. Finally I found a free program called Any Video Converter to change the files to mpeg2 this took several hours for all the files, next step was to use Cyberlink PowerProducer 5 to convert the files to the DVD-VR format and write them to disk this also took half a day. I now have 3 disks with good quality video and I've even got sound (In sync). Thank goodness for modern technology, what else would I do with my time.
The only problem is that two of the files are giving me a hard time, number 12 and 40 won't convert, I think it's time for the Inquisition to step in and frighten them to death.
Another slight downer, the time to do all this including getting up the enthusiasm in the first place has been so stretched out that I might just get to watch the video before Lightroom 3 arrives and I have to start all over again, never mind I retire in five years and will have plenty of time to put to odd pursuits, I might even take some pictures.
My holiday snaps are at KuckooPhoto would someone mind leaving a comment, I'm getting pretty desperate.  
Thanks for reading this saga.
Frank
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up