Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it legal to buy a used Photoshop CS3?  (Read 23783 times)

The View

Is it legal to buy a used Photoshop CS3?
« on: August 17, 2007, 04:37:12 am »

Sorry to bother you again with my CS3 market research (but the prices seem to fluctuate extremely, from 600 to 1000$ for the extended version).

I found a used edition of CS3 extended on Amazon.

Is it legal to buy (and sell) "used" software? Because there is no difference between new and used, regarding the software. The disc is either OK, or not (and then it's not software, but a piece of plastic).

If it is used, then someone has already used the keys.

That's my reasoning, but maybe I'm just overly detail oriented here.

Thanks for your replies!
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Graham Berks

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 04:46:12 am »

Yes, you transfer the licence via adobe.

The owner initiates the process with adobe, i believe.

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 10:32:16 am »

The disc is either OK, or not (and then it's not software, but a piece of plastic).
Remember that the CD just holds the installer. Once you've installed the software, you still have to activate it with Adobe before you can use it. If the previous owner hasn't deactivated his copy, you're hosed.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

The View

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 08:41:22 pm »

Remember that the CD just holds the installer. Once you've installed the software, you still have to activate it with Adobe before you can use it. If the previous owner hasn't deactivated his copy, you're hosed.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133827\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks. That's good to know. If I buy it from Amazon marketplace, I'm safe.

But I noticed that several "used CS3's" were actually new, but academic versions. As I have finished university quite a while ago, so I guess this would cause me trouble if I used it professionally.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 07:25:50 pm »

Thanks. That's good to know. If I buy it from Amazon marketplace, I'm safe.

But I noticed that several "used CS3's" were actually new, but academic versions. As I have finished university quite a while ago, so I guess this would cause me trouble if I used it professionally.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133927\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have no idea whether Amazon Marketplace in itself is "safe" in this context.

However, if the current user is transfering the licence then the way it used to work/worked for me with v5.5 was that the seller provided an Adobe form with the software the first (top) half of which he had filled in and signed I had to complete the form and send it off to Adobe (actually I faxed it to the number on the form).  Adobe then check the current owner info to confirm it is legitimate and then transfer the licence to you.

But note here the seller must provide the form.  In case the system has changed perhaps you should contact Adobe in your country and confirm the correct (current) procedure.

HTH
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 02:42:46 am »

Adobe doesn't use the faxed form system any more. The seller has to start up Photoshop on their system, and deactivate it online, which disables the program on their machine, and notifies Adobe electronically that this has happened. Then when you install the program and enter the license key, the online activation happens just like the license key had never been used before.

You're at the seller's mercy here, and caution is highly advisable. Make sure you have recourse to get your money back if the seller tries anything shady.

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 04:01:49 am »

Adobe doesn't use the faxed form system any more. The seller has to start up Photoshop on their system, and deactivate it online, which disables the program on their machine, and notifies Adobe electronically that this has happened. Then when you install the program and enter the license key, the online activation happens just like the license key had never been used before.

You're at the seller's mercy here, and caution is highly advisable. Make sure you have recourse to get your money back if the seller tries anything shady.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134266\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ah!  yes, I have just looked at my CS2 and the "help" dropdown has the 'Transfer Activation' option.  I surmise this is more aimed at those using another PC/Mac who already have used the 2 activations and need to for whatever reason put it a new PC.  If you are buying from a reputable & traceable source who can underwrite & guarantee that they have deactivated it I would hope you will be fine but bear in mind CS3 is so new I wonder why a full copy is being sold on ~ remember if something looks too good to be true then it is likely not!
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

The View

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 04:19:04 am »

Ah!  yes, I have just looked at my CS2 and the "help" dropdown has the 'Transfer Activation' option.  I surmise this is more aimed at those using another PC/Mac who already have used the 2 activations and need to for whatever reason put it a new PC.  If you are buying from a reputable & traceable source who can underwrite & guarantee that they have deactivated it I would hope you will be fine but bear in mind CS3 is so new I wonder why a full copy is being sold on ~ remember if something looks too good to be true then it is likely not!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134274\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Both Amazon marketplace and e-bay are full of scammers.

I just checked one of those "used" offers. Those were academic licenses, sold at almost twice the academic price, but without checking the buyer's eligibility. If I bought one, I couldn't use it professionally.

On e-bay, Photoshop is offered at great rates (I got that tip from a graphics design website). But I won't go for it. It all is so fishy. One of those "sellers" even uses a private account, hiding his location and identity. I mailed the link to this offers to Adobe to see if this seller was reputable, and if he isn't, I will drop it, and just wait longer, do my work with Lightroom only, and buy Photoshop later at the regular price.

One has to be cost conscious, but I'm not crazy to risk getting some illegal software. Both Amazon marketplace and e-bay are infested with scammers, hiding behind the names of those well disigned portals.

After all, it may be very well possible, that among those metadata in your work the serial number of the software is also embedded. It wouldn't take much to do that (but maybe it is not legal for a software company to do that, like Apple could not embed info in their iTunes songs).
Pages: [1]   Go Up