Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Lightoom bugs?  (Read 2695 times)

GLJ

Some Lightoom bugs?
« on: August 16, 2007, 08:11:01 am »

Hi Folks,
Forgive me if this has been dealt with, but I've done a quick search and can't find anything sooo....

I've come across a few 'funnies' and am wondering if anyone else has noticed the same and maybe been able to come across a workaround.

1. Big shoot, say 1500 photos. 8 different cameras. Import into Lightroom (1.1). They show up in the order of one camera at a time. Change the sorting to 'capture time' and lovely, all the photos are now in a chronological shooting order regardless of what camera took them. Now I select all and export them as JPGS and set a renaming rule so the filename is preceded by 0001 .. 0002. Works most times, but I've had the system come back and tell me there was an error exporting xxx files and they couldn't be done. It even created a separate error collection for me with these 'rejected' files.
Ran the export process again, and it worked fine ??!?!

2. As above, but I've had the situation once where (with no displayed errors) the outputted JPGs have NOT been sorted into capture time order - its outputted one camera at a time ..... even though I went back and checked and they are clearly displaying on the screen in the correct order. I didn't run the process again on these pictures as I had another job to do, but the next batch of photos, with exactly the same settings worked fine.

3. The last one might not be a lightroom issue as I'm printing over a network ... but then again ... so I'll mention it anyway .... I've printed some stuff out on a Epson R2400. Full page, lovely.
On the weekend though I wanted to knock out a A4 sheet with something like 9 small images all on one page. After a few min of head scratching and playing with presets and sliders etc, I got what I wanted on screen. I printed it. Whoosh ... out came at breakneck speed what  looks like a draft print. Bugger. I went back and checked the settings. Chose a full page high quality preset just in case I'd selected some proof mode and then remade the 9 small image layout using this .... but no matter what I do, I can't get the thing to come out of this 'draft' mode. I switched computer and printer off, double checked the draft checkbox wasn't ticked on the right hand panel ... checked the advanced tabs in the printer driver.... nothing... everything looks right but still this horrible draft mode print. I gave up in the end as I had other things to do.

If anyone's got any suggestions or 'me too' comments so I know I'm not going mad, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Cheers
Gareth

wmyers7737

Some Lightoom bugs?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 10:12:41 am »

Hi Gareth,
About the file errors in Lighroom.
I've run into this myself and found that the files causing me problems were locked at the finder level. I have no idea why or how they got locked but they were. Anyway, I unlocked them and lightroom processed them with no more problems.

Hopefully that helps,
wynn

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
Some Lightoom bugs?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 11:44:47 am »

Hi Gareth,
About the file errors in Lighroom.
I've run into this myself and found that the files causing me problems were locked at the finder level. I have no idea why or how they got locked but they were. Anyway, I unlocked them and lightroom processed them with no more problems.

Hopefully that helps,
wynn
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133821\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

On Mac systems, this is often a symptom of a permissions problem. Fixing permissions with an appropriate file utility often cures the trouble. It's the first thing you should do if you have any sort of file-access problem on a Mac.
michael sebast

GLJ

Some Lightoom bugs?
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 06:24:13 pm »

I've run into this myself and found that the files causing me problems were locked at the finder level.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133821\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the suggestion, but this is a Mac thing yes? I'm using a PC. Also, the export issue is not consistent. When I ran the procedure and I got all these files it couldn't process, all I did was do exactly the same thing again (I wouldn't swear on it now, but I don't think I even exited out of LR - I just hit export again). I certainly didn't touch any of the files or any settings anywhere!!

The only remote possibility I can now think of is if I was accessing the files over the network and something happened midway through like a computer going into standby (I can't remember now if the error collection was comprised of shots all at the end, or were they random/middle). However this is unlikely.

However the not exporting in shooting order even though displayed correctly is almost bound to be an obscure bug.

G.

GLJ

Some Lightoom bugs?
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 06:23:31 pm »

3. The last one might not be a lightroom issue as I'm printing over a network
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133606\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As a follow up, I've found out what this problem was. It was indeed a network issue. Somewhere in the printer driver it didn't like the particular combination of paper, print quality etc I had chosen. However instead of actually telling me this, it simply went ahead and printed ..... but changed to 'text and graphics' quality or something like that.

When I physically connected the printer directly to the computer and did exactly the same thing, it came up and TOLD me it didn't like something. I changed the paper type, and hey presto - it worked.

I haven't yet looked into how to stop this happening again. I have a vague memory of some printer drivers having a separate switch to enable remote network monitoring .... I'll have to check, but if someone knows about the R2400 and wants to tell me exactly where to look, that would be great :-)

Cheers
Gareth
Pages: [1]   Go Up