Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C2P under Vista  (Read 7945 times)

rhowie

C2P under Vista
« on: August 15, 2007, 11:42:24 pm »

I recently purchased the Camera to Print tutorial, but I cannot view any of the movies (I have tried 4) using QT 7.2 and Vista OS.  I have attempted the hints in the FAQ on this site and hunted through the Apple forums, but no clear answer.  I see a number of people claiming to have difficulties with QT and Vista, but the threads all seem to die out with no solution posted.

I have attempted uninstalling, re-downloading and reinstalling QT.  No change in symptoms.

Symptoms:
When I attempt to launch a movie, either by double clicking the .mov file or by opening the file after launching QT, my system become unresponsive.  Task manager reports that QT is not responding.  I occasionally get 3-5 seconds of sound, but then no sound or picture for 2-3 minutes.

I have tested my new install of QT playing streaming content from the QuickTime site, and it works fine.

I have a couple of other computers in the house running XP and QT 7.2.  I am able to play the exact same movie files on those computers.  This would be a decent work-around to the problem, but unfortunately, I would really rather spend 6 1/2 hours working on my primary (Vista) computer.

Is anyone else having problems with Vista or have any recommendations?

Thank you.

KeithR

C2P under Vista
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 11:48:51 pm »

I recently purchased the Camera to Print tutorial, but I cannot view any of the movies (I have tried 4) using QT 7.2 and Vista OS.  I have attempted the hints in the FAQ on this site and hunted through the Apple forums, but no clear answer.  I see a number of people claiming to have difficulties with QT and Vista, but the threads all seem to die out with no solution posted.

I have attempted uninstalling, re-downloading and reinstalling QT.  No change in symptoms.

Symptoms:
When I attempt to launch a movie, either by double clicking the .mov file or by opening the file after launching QT, my system become unresponsive.  Task manager reports that QT is not responding.  I occasionally get 3-5 seconds of sound, but then no sound or picture for 2-3 minutes.

I have tested my new install of QT playing streaming content from the QuickTime site, and it works fine.

I have a couple of other computers in the house running XP and QT 7.2.  I am able to play the exact same movie files on those computers.  This would be a decent work-around to the problem, but unfortunately, I would really rather spend 6 1/2 hours working on my primary (Vista) computer.

Is anyone else having problems with Vista or have any recommendations?

Thank you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133550\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have had no problem watching the C2P on Vista w/QT 7.2
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
C2P under Vista
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 08:42:07 am »

Have you tried WMP or QuickTime Alternative?

rhowie

C2P under Vista
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 11:23:05 am »

Have you tried WMP or QuickTime Alternative?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133610\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When I tried Windows Media Player, I got the message,"The selected file has an extension (.mov) that is not recognized by Windows  Media Player".  When I ignored the message, the file did play, but there  was no audio.

There may be an add-in I could install to make WMP play QT files, but I have not research that option. I would prefer to use QT to play QT files unless I  learn that I am at a dead end.   Are you familiar with the requirements to play QT files on WMP 11?

rhowie

C2P under Vista
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 11:51:30 am »

When I tried Windows Media Player, I got the message,"The selected file has an extension (.mov) that is not recognized by Windows  Media Player".  When I ignored the message, the file did play, but there  was no audio.

There may be an add-in I could install to make WMP play QT files, but I have not research that option. I would prefer to use QT to play QT files unless I  learn that I am at a dead end.   Are you familiar with the requirements to play QT files on WMP 11?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133638\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just found the following on the Microsoft web site indicating that QuickTime is no longer supported in Windows Media Player.  It looks like I am back to trying to find a solution to the Quick Time Player problem.  Any other ideas?

From Microsoft.com
QuickTime content (.mov, .qt)
Apple Computer developed the QuickTime file format to create, edit, publish, and view multimedia files. QuickTime format can contain video, animation, graphics, 3D and virtual reality (VR) content. Only QuickTime files version 2.0 or earlier can be played in Windows Media Player. Later versions of QuickTime require the proprietary Apple QuickTime Player. For more information, visit the following Apple Web site: ...

rhowie

C2P under Vista
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 11:49:38 pm »

I continue to get nowhere on playing the tutorial.  I downloaded and installed VLC Media Player (the QuickTime alternative listed on the FAQ).  I got identical symptoms to QuickTime.  When I attempted to load a video, the system became unresponsive and the video did not play.

I am running out of ideas and altitude.  Any suggestions?

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
C2P under Vista
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 09:30:22 am »

Check out this page for links & other possible player solutions:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm

michaelbs

C2P under Vista
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 04:02:51 am »

I have Vista 64 Ultimate installed and I have no problems with Quicktime & the tutorials.

i2-lens

C2P under Vista
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 08:26:06 pm »

I have a new notebook running vista ultimate 64 and a new desktop running Vista Premium 32.  C2P runs fine on the notebook vista ultimate but does not work on the destop vista premium.  I have not spent any time figuring out why and do not plan to as it works on my notebook so I was able to watch the series (side note: exceptional series and very informative).  

You might want to consider upgrading to Ultimate 64?
Pages: [1]   Go Up