Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 645 AF 55-110mm  (Read 11834 times)

monobee

Mamiya 645 AF 55-110mm
« on: August 15, 2007, 11:14:52 am »

How good is 55-110mm zoom compared to primes?

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Mamiya 645 AF 55-110mm
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 01:25:33 pm »

How good is 55-110mm zoom compared to primes?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133424\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have both the 55-110 and the 105-210 lenses----both are excellent, but in general, I like the performance of the primes better.

canmiya

• beyond stills
Mamiya 645 AF 55-110mm
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 01:47:05 pm »

I have both the 55-110 and the 105-210 lenses----both are excellent, but in general, I like the performance of the primes better.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133445\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have the 55-110 and the 75-150.  The 75-150 is a stellar lens:  I can't seem to praise this zoom enough.   I find the 55-110 a good lens. But I must admit that  I'm more likely to carry the 75-150 and the 55 2.8 as oppose to the 55-110. As you know the only two af primes in the 55-110 range are the 80 2.8 and the 55 2.8. At 55 mm, I prefer the prime over the zoom.
 All of the Mamiya  zooms are  f4.5. You may want to take this into consideration in evaluating the options.

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
Mamiya 645 AF 55-110mm
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 02:37:43 pm »

i have the 35,80, 150 and 55-110...the zoom is the weakest lens..but guess what..it is the one i use the most....i never ever use the 80 and the 150 does not see much use either....i think i would like the 75-150 zoom, but the price and relatively tight 75 start have held me back so far.....
i have to say that i also shoot with the RZ and each and every RZ lens blows the 645 lenses out of the water....no comparison...so if i want real crispness, i go with the RZ....fo rlooser shots, the 55-110 is just great.....
i think for the price (used on ebay) weight and size (and preformance as well) it is the lens to get with the 645....for ultimate quality (to get the best out of your Dback) you might be disappointed...

olaf

Mamiya 645 AF 55-110mm
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 05:06:41 am »

Hi Monobee
I've just got a P30+ and 645 AFD2. My dealer loaned me the 55mm/80mm primes and the 55-110mm zoom to test before buying. I did all kinds of mad tests from newspaper legibility to the ability to resolve TV aerial mast antennae. I found the zoom to be equivalent to the 80mm and slightly crisper than the 55mm. So I went for the zoom.

PSS; can you help me out with a quick explanation? How do you shoot with the RZ? Is there a Phase One fitting for the RZ or do you use a lens adaptor or ....

Thx

Olaf

i have the 35,80, 150 and 55-110...the zoom is the weakest lens..but guess what..it is the one i use the most....i never ever use the 80 and the 150 does not see much use either....i think i would like the 75-150 zoom, but the price and relatively tight 75 start have held me back so far.....
i have to say that i also shoot with the RZ and each and every RZ lens blows the 645 lenses out of the water....no comparison...so if i want real crispness, i go with the RZ....fo rlooser shots, the 55-110 is just great.....
i think for the price (used on ebay) weight and size (and preformance as well) it is the lens to get with the 645....for ultimate quality (to get the best out of your Dback) you might be disappointed...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133462\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Snook

Mamiya 645 AF 55-110mm
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 09:37:22 am »

Hi Monobee
I've just got a P30+ and 645 AFD2. My dealer loaned me the 55mm/80mm primes and the 55-110mm zoom to test before buying. I did all kinds of mad tests from newspaper legibility to the ability to resolve TV aerial mast antennae. I found the zoom to be equivalent to the 80mm and slightly crisper than the 55mm. So I went for the zoom.

PSS; can you help me out with a quick explanation? How do you shoot with the RZ? Is there a Phase One fitting for the RZ or do you use a lens adaptor or ....

Thx

Olaf
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133581\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Olaf from what I understand you have to buy a plate from Phase one but it is for the RZproIID only.
Corect me if I am wrong anybody.
Olaf can you post any pictures you have with the P30+ I am very interested in this back aswell.
Please let us know about shooting spped and buffering etc...
Can you post an image?
Thanks a lot
Also what did you pay for that set-up. were you on a list for the P30+ ? How long did it take for you to get it?
I am in the same boat and they cannot tell how long it will take to get the P30+?
Care to share your information?
Thanks
Snook

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
Mamiya 645 AF 55-110mm
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 03:37:43 pm »

Hi Monobee

Thx

Olaf
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=0\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

phase makes a RZ IID adapter for the P series backs....works perfectly, no cables, rotates, you can't shoot without the back being ready,....flawless....i find focussing with the WLF much easier then with the 645...of course it is a totally different animal, but for my work, i actually use the RZ for everything now.....

drawbacks: other then size, weight...no wide angle lenses (i think 65 is the widest? they make a fisheye as well i think....

advantages: lenses are superb, better then anything other then schneider for rollei IMO, CHEAP!!! the RZIID body is fairly hard to get used, the adapter is 1300 but the lenses are supercheap on ebay......great macro/close-up stuff, great system...WLF, viewfinders,....

the phase/RZ adapter is the only solution in the market that lets you rotate the back on the body, no taking off, no cables....
you can contact me if you have any questions about this....

olaf

Mamiya 645 AF 55-110mm
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 05:21:33 am »

Hi All

PSS - thx for the explanation. I'll bear it in mind and check it out further.

Snook - I'm based in London, UK so I'm not sure that quoting any prices will be that helpful. IMO photo kit here tends to be either more expensive or the roughly same price as the US, rarely is it cheaper. I bought through Teamwork, an excellent dealer in central London, I would recommend to anyone. They have loaned me backs and lenses and been very co-operative at every stage. Of course this is what a dealer should do for something of this price - but still top grade service is a rarity nowadays.
The P30+ was quoted as 8 weeks delivery and it arrived one day early. I went with the Mamiya because in contrast to the H2, it 'felt right' for me. Just a personal thing. Helped by a promotion at the moment giving an extra discount on Mamiya lenses. If the Contax were still available new I would have bought that but I didn't fancy the possibility of endless buying and selling of second hand gear until I got the right combo.
Coming from a Canon 1Ds Mk2 I find the P30+ refreshingly simple to operate. Just the 4 buttons, the absolute minimum needed to get the job done. The screen is good, visible in what passes for daylight in the UK! For the kind of work I do I don't find shooting/buffer speed to be an issue.
I was very pleasantly surprised by the ISO performance. We all have different standards of rigour but for me anything up to 400 is fine, even 800 is usable rather than miss the shot altogether. 1600 has noticeable noise and is of limited use (IMHO).
On resolution I find it significantly better. There is detail where previously there was mush. But that would be expected. The biggest difference for me is hard to quantify. It is that the 'feel' of the shot is more 'film like' and less obviously digital. I really like it.

Apologies if I've bored anyone to death with all this.... Snook I hope this is what you wanted. Odd that your dealer can't commit to a delivery date. Teamwork just made a call to Denmark and it was done. I'll try to post some images next week if anyone is interested.
Regards

Olaf

phase makes a RZ IID adapter for the P series backs....works perfectly, no cables, rotates, you can't shoot without the back being ready,....flawless....i find focussing with the WLF much easier then with the 645...of course it is a totally different animal, but for my work, i actually use the RZ for everything now.....

drawbacks: other then size, weight...no wide angle lenses (i think 65 is the widest? they make a fisheye as well i think....

advantages: lenses are superb, better then anything other then schneider for rollei IMO, CHEAP!!! the RZIID body is fairly hard to get used, the adapter is 1300 but the lenses are supercheap on ebay......great macro/close-up stuff, great system...WLF, viewfinders,....

the phase/RZ adapter is the only solution in the market that lets you rotate the back on the body, no taking off, no cables....
you can contact me if you have any questions about this....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133684\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up