Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hassie Tile/Shift Lens Talk???  (Read 32551 times)

michael

Hassie Tile/Shift Lens Talk???
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2007, 11:31:32 pm »

As I said, don't bother.

I'm almost done with this conversation as there doesn't seem to be much more that can be added beyond opinion and speculation.

Michael

psp

« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2007, 11:34:21 pm »

No, not at all. I was just commenting about the unwavering and uncritical adherence to the party line.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133950\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Riiiight... of course, what else could that have meant. Silly me and those who thought otherwise.....

Oh, here's a good one....

While reviewing some earlier reviews of yours, I happened across an interesting comment from you.

You said, while comparing digital backs; ..."my personal style of working is geared more toward the advantages of an integrated single piece solution...."

What could be more of an 'integrated single piece solution' than the H3D?

I'm not here to defend Hasselblad or bad mouth any manufacturer. But I question why you do?

Michael - you have your opinions, but many do not always agree with everything you say. And you regularly reject any reasonable argument which opposes your views - you have a nasty habit of spinning & attempting to convert your opinions into absolute truths - and a history of taking what others say completely out of context.

Over the years you've managed to develop quite a following... might I suggest it's gone a bit to your head?

Good night all.....

hubell

« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2007, 11:55:12 pm »

Yes, but then if next year Leaf brings out a superior back, or god forbid Phase One does, what am I to do? My path is closed. That's the whole point. A Hasselblad system is now a closed system, whereas in the past the user had choice.

I guess it all depends on whether you believe in and support open systems, or closed systems. The trend in many industrious in recent years has been for open systems, and most consumers find them to be advantageous.

I believe in and vocally support open systems and decry closed ones, no matter who makes them.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133951\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am sure that you remember that it was not so long ago that similar, quite heated arguments were waged over the merits of open systems v. closed systems when Epson started to use chipped ink cartridges, effectively forcing you to use Epson inks and freezing out third party ink suppliers like Media Street. Look where we are now. Epson as well as Canon and HP are all using closed systems and the furor has subsided. And guess what, no one really cares anymore because  the products are so good. My prediction is  that the same will happen in the MFDB market. I, for one, would rather use a more complete, well integrated, closed system that provides me with certain important functionalities(a 28mm lens and a T/S lens) than an alternative that happens to be an open system.

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2007, 03:32:06 am »

Just to come back to topic as well?!?

7 or 8 months ago I had a short conversation with the manager of the Hasselbad lens department.
I got to talk to him when I called regarding the barrel correction software.
He was very adament that no tilt/shift lens was in the pipeline. He also said that the market
was too small to warrant 2 years of development.
Who knows, maybe he was lying.

cheers
Marc

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2007, 04:42:47 am »

If Phase knows as much as Hasselblad then why when you enter Live Video on a P45+ do you have to first set the camera to T and open the shutter???  On a H3D the whole process is automatic.

Why do you write like a Phase One copywriter?

Jo S.x
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133948\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If I'm a locksmith who has designed a lock, does that mean I have the key to open *your* lock ?

BTW it would be about time that the back makers and camera makers agreed on back/body protocols. Of course as Hasselblad seem to be moving all the intelligence into the back it might be that the body will soon be too dumb to do anything at all by itself -

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2007, 08:46:39 am »

Yes, back to topic;)

2 or 3 years ago, before choosing the Hassy V solution, I asked myself about the use of shift/tilt with a H Hassy. So I had the naiv idea to send an email to Hasselblad asking if there were plans to release a H Flexbody or T/S lens for their H system.
TO my surprise, I got a very nice email back from a techn, asking me what i thing would be the really necessary T/S lens addition for the H Sytem, if only one only lens would be build. I asked for a 28 or 35mm shift (and tilt?) solution, and a short telephoto (like a 85mmPC Nikkor but for MF) T/S for tabletop.
So I had the impression that they were really considering a T/S solution.
But that was a while ago, and their developpment agenda probably has changed since.
Even if I consider that a dedicated T/S for the H3D only with the necessary software correction (recognizing the degree of tilt and shift automatically) would be their best way to go, I'm quite happy that I stay with my old-fashioned 503CW and Flexbody for tabletop shootings.

tom-

michael

« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2007, 08:58:41 am »

Riiiight... of course, what else could that have meant. Silly me and those who thought otherwise.....

Oh, here's a good one....

While reviewing some earlier reviews of yours, I happened across an interesting comment from you.

You said, while comparing digital backs; ..."my personal style of working is geared more toward the advantages of an integrated single piece solution...."

What could be more of an 'integrated single piece solution' than the H3D?

I'm not here to defend Hasselblad or bad mouth any manufacturer. But I question why you do?

Michael - you have your opinions, but many do not always agree with everything you say. And you regularly reject any reasonable argument which opposes your views - you have a nasty habit of spinning & attempting to convert your opinions into absolute truths - and a history of taking what others say completely out of context.

Over the years you've managed to develop quite a following... might I suggest it's gone a bit to your head?

Good night all.....
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ah, so I'm the one taking things out of context? I see. Somewhat like you taking a [a href=\"http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/ixpress.shtml]four year-old review[/url] of a back that had a separate cable-attached hard drive, and which I was comparing to the all-in-one Kodak DCS Pro back. Sure. These are really similar concepts. Spin. Did someone say spin?

As for "bad mouthing" manufacturers, I challenge you to point to a single instance of this, anywhere at any time that wasn't related to specific deficiencies on the part of the company or product. And I also never engage in ad hominem attacks, unlike some.

Have I been critical of manufacturers? Of course. That's my job. That's what a critic does – apply critical judgement and criticize when warranted. Canon continues to refuse to put mirror lock-up in an easy to use control, and they should be flogged for ignoring something which users have been asking for for years. Hasselblad has created a new system that closes  current and potential owners out from choosing their own back solution. I therefore criticize them for this because it's an approach that I regard as counterproductive and against the best interests of their installed user base. Phase One deserves a booby prize for their totally wretched screens on previous generation backs and such a poorly implemented Live Preview on the Plus backs, and are totally in the dog house for taking more than three years to produce simple rubber grommets for their exposed connectors.

In case no one has noticed, I happen to own all three products; from Canon, Phase One and Hasselblad. These are the tools that I use every day. No one gave these to me. I purchased all of them at retail and easily have more than $100K invested in  them. Notice that these are the products that I currently criticize, when warranted. I don't complain about Leaf. I don't criticize Nikon. I don't bad mouth Mamiya. Why? Because I don't use them and therefore am not in a position to form reasoned judgments. Think about it.

I have no problems with people that disagree with me. But I expect reasoned debate, where the pros and cons of a given situation are freely aired. That's what this forum is about. But when people make accusations that are not based on fact, and when people start name calling instead of putting forward well presented arguments, I get disappointed and annoyed.

Now, if anyone has any further comments based on the merits of Hasselblad's product and marketing strategies, these are welcomed here. Otherwise this thread seems to have run its course.

Michael
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 10:44:15 am by michael »

psp

« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2007, 10:41:33 am »

I have no problems with people that disagree with me. But I expect reasoned debate, where the pros and cons of a given situation are freely aired. That's what this forum is about. But when people make accusations that are not based on fact, and when people start name calling instead of putting forward well presented arguments, I get disappointed and annoyed.

Now, if anyone has any further comments based on the merits of Hasselblad's product and marketing strategies, these are welcomed here. Otherwise this thread seems to have run its course.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134002\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've found that reasoned debate is not possible as your posts demonstrate, to me at least, that you are not a reasonable man.

I believe any manufacturers product and marketing strategies, contrary to what you might think, have nothing to do with anything except give you the opportunity to scream like a child that hasn't gotten his way.

There's a big difference between offering constructive criticism and what you call 'criticism.'  

If you really want to do something Michael, perhaps become a board member or part of the management of one of the companies you criticize - it might be more constructive.

Sorry for getting personal, but just responding to your comments as constructively as I can.

I will agree that this thread has indeed run it's course.

michael

« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2007, 11:15:07 am »

Let's move on.

This thread is now closed.

Michael
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up