Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DNG  (Read 6327 times)

trainzman

DNG
« on: August 14, 2007, 08:53:47 pm »

I've been dipping my toes in the DNG waters and wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

The original image is a Fuji raw file, RAF. I can convert it to TIF without any problems using either the Hyper-Utility 2 that came with the camera or a freeware s7raw.

Now I tied going the DNG route using the Adobe DNG Converter version 4.1.0.33. The resulting image is left-right reversed. Is this supposed to happen? I know that the name contains the word Negative like in film but I always looked at my negatives so that the image was oriented the correct way. I can always flip the images using one of many image programs but that seems like an extra step. I looked at the program options but didn't find any mention of flipping or not flipping the output. Did I overlook something?

DarkPenguin

DNG
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 12:36:05 am »

Does the file open correctly in photoshop?

The adobe forums might be a better place to ask this question.

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
DNG
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 06:21:17 am »

Hi

What you are describing sounds like the sort of results some of the early dcraw based RAF convertors produced before 'they' sussed out how to handle the SR sensor info.

For the record my latest DNG version 3.7 (I have CS2 so have not tried the DNG4) coverts a RAF file aok.  I wonder what 'broke' between 3.7 and 4 ?

HTH maybe
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

trainzman

DNG
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 05:33:12 pm »

Hi
... I wonder what 'broke' between 3.7 and 4 ?

HTH maybe
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133787\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
From the Adobe DNG forum
xxxxxxxxxx  -
It has to be something to do with the 45 degree orientation of the Fuji CCD sensors. It's not just with Adobe, I've seen odd orientations with other RAW interpreters/convertors.

Although viewing the files in Bridge:

Original .RAf EXIF Orientation: Normal
DNG from same file Orientation: Rotate -90, Flip Vertical

xxxxxxx
Now that you mention the 45 degree Fuji sensor issue, I believe I've heard that mentioned elsewhere. If that's the real cause, I wonder if the converter can be taught how to deal with it?

Camera: Fuji Finepix s9100
Adobe DNG Converter version 4.1.0.33

In BreezeBrowser I can see the following
The DNG, reversed and rotated -90, the original RAF (correctly oriented and the TIF created from the RAF by s7raw, also correctly oriented (Tried to add an image here but it didn't work)

Thank you all for your answers.

So it looks like the new Fuji sensor is confusing the DNG converter. Too bad.

Here is what it looks like

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
DNG
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 06:18:44 pm »

I think you can still download DNG version 3.7

Give it a spin (lol) and see if it works for you.  The files I have are fom my Fuji F700 P&S but all the output form SR sensors I surmise have the same "orientation" and as I remarked I tried all the early dcraw based convertors and though I have not 'used' them for a long time one in particular was outstanding.

A collection of mine here http://500px.c

trainzman

DNG
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 09:13:41 pm »

I think you can still download DNG version 3.7

Give it a spin (lol) and see if it works for you.  The files I have are fom my Fuji F700 ...

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134037\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Got and tried version 3.7 of the Adobe DNG converter and got the same result. Will try some of the other versions when I have a chance but if it's the sensor causing the issue, then the others might not have any better results. So until Adobe figures out how to handle the RAF files from a Finepix s9100, DNG will not be in my workflow.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up