Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom book on Epson 3800  (Read 2811 times)

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
Custom book on Epson 3800
« on: August 14, 2007, 03:18:45 pm »

A short story first:

In 1978 my college acting professor learned of my interest in photography and filmmaking and mentioned that her dad was kind of involved in that. She invited me to her home, sat me on the couch and handed me a "photo album" that her dad had given her.

It was really more than an "album" in that it contained maybe 20 original B&W prints from the 1930's that had been somehow "bound" or placed into a very beautiful leather cover. The prints were protected by some kind of tissue paper between the prints if I remember correctly. Her father was a photographer I had not heard of at the time, but the prints were the most beautiful prints I had ever seen (or seen since!) and the photographs were reminiscent of Walker Evans (maybe everything form the 30's looked the same to me), but with more attention paid to the photographic technique than is typical of Evan's work. The photographer and filmmaker was  Willard Van Dyke.

And now seeking your advice:

I would like to make such an "album" of "original" Epson prints. I may give them away as special gifts or perhaps try to sell a few. I would love it if it were possible to remove the prints from the binding for those interested in framing one if they wished as well.

1st I must choose a paper that will work well for this format. My photographs work best on a glossy paper and I love the look of Innova Fibraprint Ultra Smooth Gloss. Unfortunately this paper has a stiffness and waviness that seems to make it less than ideal to put into book form so I am looking for any suggestions for alternatives.

2nd, I am looking for any suggestions on how to bind the photographs into such an "album".

You all are a great resource here and thanks in advance for your suggestions!

-bruce
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

dgillilan

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 01:22:38 pm »

A short story first:

In 1978 my college acting professor learned of my interest in photography and filmmaking and mentioned that her dad was kind of involved in that. She invited me to her home, sat me on the couch and handed me a "photo album" that her dad had given her.

It was really more than an "album" in that it contained maybe 20 original B&W prints from the 1930's that had been somehow "bound" or placed into a very beautiful leather cover. The prints were protected by some kind of tissue paper between the prints if I remember correctly. Her father was a photographer I had not heard of at the time, but the prints were the most beautiful prints I had ever seen (or seen since!) and the photographs were reminiscent of Walker Evans (maybe everything form the 30's looked the same to me), but with more attention paid to the photographic technique than is typical of Evan's work. The photographer and filmmaker was  Willard Van Dyke.

And now seeking your advice:

I would like to make such an "album" of "original" Epson prints. I may give them away as special gifts or perhaps try to sell a few. I would love it if it were possible to remove the prints from the binding for those interested in framing one if they wished as well.

1st I must choose a paper that will work well for this format. My photographs work best on a glossy paper and I love the look of Innova Fibraprint Ultra Smooth Gloss. Unfortunately this paper has a stiffness and waviness that seems to make it less than ideal to put into book form so I am looking for any suggestions for alternatives.

2nd, I am looking for any suggestions on how to bind the photographs into such an "album".

You all are a great resource here and thanks in advance for your suggestions!

-bruce
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133256\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bruce,
I purchased the Hahnemuhle photo book kit. It is very very nice. It came with intersleeved pages to place between actual prints, and double sided Natural Art (matte) papers, prepunched. The album has two brass screws in the end that hold the papers. Refills are available. I taught myself how to line up the template so that my prints allow room for the holed margins. I like it very much. There is also an Innova album that I looked at, a little more expensive and I thought the Hahn. would be just fine for less - I was right. Very pleased. Can be seen on the Hahn. website, purchased mine from Shades of Paper. (These prints could be taken out and framed (would either cut off the holed side or mat over it, and you probably would only want to print on one side for that option).
Debra

smthopr

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 12:44:27 am »

Bruce,
I purchased the Hahnemuhle photo book kit. It is very very nice. It came with intersleeved pages to place between actual prints, and double sided Natural Art (matte) papers, prepunched. The album has two brass screws in the end that hold the papers. Refills are available. I taught myself how to line up the template so that my prints allow room for the holed margins. I like it very much. There is also an Innova album that I looked at, a little more expensive and I thought the Hahn. would be just fine for less - I was right. Very pleased. Can be seen on the Hahn. website, purchased mine from Shades of Paper. (These prints could be taken out and framed (would either cut off the holed side or mat over it, and you probably would only want to print on one side for that option).
Debra
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133444\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the suggestion Debra. It sounds like a great solution, except for the matte paper. Most of my photographs just don't really "work" on matte papers though I love the feel of them. Perhaps Hahnemuhle could punch the holes in some glossy paper for me to put in the book. I guess I'll write to them to find out. I know that they have this new glossy paper coming out this fall...

Take care,
-bruce
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 09:49:00 pm »

I wrote an article published on this website about this topic. You can find it here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/shoe-box.shtml

Since then I've had a couple of volumes bound in reconstituted leather and they look very rich.

You can use quite a variety of papers to taste - the key thing to remember is that the thicker the paper the fewer pages it is appropriate to put into a single volume.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

smthopr

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 11:02:59 pm »

I wrote an article published on this website about this topic. You can find it here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/shoe-box.shtml

Since then I've had a couple of volumes bound in reconstituted leather and they look very rich.

You can use quite a variety of papers to taste - the key thing to remember is that the thicker the paper the fewer pages it is appropriate to put into a single volume.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134228\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Mark!

I hadn't considered a custom book binder as I guessed I assumed that they would be too expensive...

If anyone knows of such a binder in Los Angeles, please let me know!

-bruce
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up