Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Where did my Gloss Enhanser go?  (Read 2747 times)

Bob Walters

Z3100 Where did my Gloss Enhanser go?
« on: August 14, 2007, 08:42:13 am »

While experimenting with my new Z3100, I was printing on some satin photo paper (via Qimage).  I tried one or two prints with Gloss Enhancer set to "economy" mode (local application), but the majority of the prints were made with GE turned off.

In fact, since I plan on very little glossy or satin printing I only ordered one GE replacement cartridge, figuring that would last me for a long, long time.

After several prints I got a warning that GE was running low, so I double checked my print settings and confirmed that I had it turned off.  After that, I checked and double checked on every print to be sure it was off.

Soon I got a warning that the GE cartridge was out.  

When I examine the satin prints I can see that there is a gloss differential between the unprintable border (about 1/4") and the entire surface of the print.

So, it appears that my printer is using GE on the entire print even when it is selected off.

Am I missing something here?  

Bob
Bob

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 06:28:00 pm »

I'm not a Qimage user, but it's fair to say that HP's driver is more than a little squirrely, at least under Windows. There are multiple tabs and settings to play with, and selections such as paper choice and image quality can overwrite and change selections already made. It's worth checking the print quality tab one last time before hitting "print" to see what gloss enhancer is set to.

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 07:21:43 pm »

Bob,

Is this where you're setting the GE?

Are you also using a profile that has GE off?  I don't know if that makes a difference but that's just the way I've done it.
Regards,
Ron

Charles Gast

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 08:17:10 pm »

I know that even when using a GEOFF profile the thing always wants to lay down GE in at least Econo Mode.  The driver tries to do some dumb things unless you check everything first.  The thing I find most annoying is that it always wants to use sRGB as the "profile" to print with until I check the "application color management box". I accidentally printed a 24x36 with the printer doing the color management and sRGB. The print has fluorescent greens and bright blues but its a reminder print, not a display or sale print!

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 09:23:58 pm »

I know that even when using a GEOFF profile the thing always wants to lay down GE in at least Econo Mode.  The driver tries to do some dumb things unless you check everything first.  The thing I find most annoying is that it always wants to use sRGB as the "profile" to print with until I check the "application color management box". I accidentally printed a 24x36 with the printer doing the color management and sRGB. The print has fluorescent greens and bright blues but its a reminder print, not a display or sale print!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133320\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Quite so!
It would be nice if there was a simple way to bundle all the settings in every tab required to print on a specific paper type and save it in an easily recalled form. I haven't figured out a way to do this yet.

BTW, what's a "Geoff profile?" Since I'm a Geoff and I don't know anything about it?

Bob Walters

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 10:22:52 pm »

Bob,

Is this where you're setting the GE?

Are you also using a profile that has GE off?  I don't know if that makes a difference but that's just the way I've done it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133309\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes and the custom profile I made was made with GE selected off as well.

I always double check the printer settings before I hit the print button.  It doesn't take too many ruined 24x36" prints to learn that lesson.

Bob
Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up