Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: which wide lens for mamiya645II with p30?  (Read 3437 times)

observer

• http://www.mrcs.be
which wide lens for mamiya645II with p30?
« on: August 14, 2007, 07:00:12 am »

i recently got a mamiya 645II with a 75-110 zoom-lens. although the lens is very good for what it does, i often feel a wider lens would allow me to make much more interesting pictures as the p30 crops rather a lot of the frame.

i have no money right now for the new 28mm lens and don't mind focussing manually.
do the older (manual) wide lenses work fine on this system or are the chromatic aberrations in the corners too big (or maybe they're cropped by the p30 anyway)?

thanks for any useful info!

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 08:06:11 am »

i recently got a mamiya 645II with a 75-110 zoom-lens. although the lens is very good for what it does, i often feel a wider lens would allow me to make much more interesting pictures as the p30 crops rather a lot of the frame.

i have no money right now for the new 28mm lens and don't mind focussing manually.
do the older (manual) wide lenses work fine on this system or are the chromatic aberrations in the corners too big (or maybe they're cropped by the p30 anyway)?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133155\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello,

I am new to the ZD camera and have the 55-110 zoom as my normal lens. For wides I use the 35mm AF lens and 24mm MF fisheye. Both work fine, the fisheye in stopped down metering. It being so wide I need to be careful with the tripod legs and reflections into lens from sun. I come from Nikon and this is my first fisheye. For landscape I find it a creative lens and it can be defished in ImageAlign if necessary.

1st photo attached 35mm AF
2n, 3rd 24mm fisheye, not defished

The 24mm is discontinued but I found a new one in Hong Kong for around 1000 usd. It also shows up on Ebay on occassions. Unlike SLRs there are not that many lens choices for the Mamiya. I am happy with these and much enjoy photography with them and the images I am already getting. Attached was my second real shoot and I am still learning the system   .

Regards
Anders

observer

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 02:49:07 pm »

thanks!! that was very helpful. i'll see which lens i can find. i like the first and last photo best.

Lester

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 03:17:01 pm »

Yes the older Manual lens works great on today Mamiya, just make sure it is the "N" serials. They are the same design as the AF serials. I shoot mostly landscape and I just used the manual lenses set for my work, I used a Mamiya 645 AFD with the P45. Here are some prices, you could get at ebay, which I got, 35mm manual-$225, the AF version $635, the 24mm fisheye-$625 all the lens I got from ebay are in great condition. I guess there is a lot of Mamiya 645 stuff out there and people is switching to DSLR and the people buying that stuff are MF digital back user and die hard film users.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133155\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

observer

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 04:36:32 pm »

thanks, lester! you never had the feeling that the p45 outresolved the lenses?

Lester

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 06:54:48 pm »

The P45 is about the max you could use the MF lenses. If you look at the file at 1:1, then you see the how sharp it is, but then you could sharpen the image. For me it is sharp enought since I do not print them bigger then 30x40. Another thing, it seems that not all lenses are the same, some are sharper, at the same mm.

thanks, lester! you never had the feeling that the p45 outresolved the lenses?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133273\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 07:03:15 pm »

I have been using the Mamiya 28 mm on my ZD and am overall happy about the lens.

- sharp, it should be able to tap into the resolution potential of the P45 accross most of the frame (the very corners are a bit soft on the ZD even at f14),
- very little distorsion,
- Flare is OK, but it can obviously not compete against LF Schneider lenses for instance.

On the downside:

- heavy
- dark and difficult to focus in low light,
- difficult, or perhaps even impossible, to use PL filters,
- front element likely to get damaged quickly because of its shape.

It is a very expensive piece of glass though.

Regards,
Bernard

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 08:02:11 pm »

Yes the older Manual lens works great on today Mamiya, just make sure it is the "N" serials. They are the same design as the AF serials. I shoot mostly landscape and I just used the manual lenses set for my work, I used a Mamiya 645 AFD with the P45. Here are some prices, you could get at ebay, which I got, 35mm manual-$225, the AF version $635, the 24mm fisheye-$625 all the lens I got from ebay are in great condition. I guess there is a lot of Mamiya 645 stuff out there and people is switching to DSLR and the people buying that stuff are MF digital back user and die hard film users.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133255\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For prices in Asia, Hong Kong is perhaps cheapest due no tax (and compared worldwide). If buying ZD camera/back and any expensive lenses it may be a worthwhile trip. I bought most of my ZD camera and three lenses direct from Mamiya agent. www.sellenhk.com. Ebay is better than buying used in HK, but prices from agent on manual focus are not much different than Ebay.

Regards
Anders
Pages: [1]   Go Up