Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor again; which Eizo S2031W or NEC 20WGX2PRO  (Read 6269 times)

ftrippie

Monitor again; which Eizo S2031W or NEC 20WGX2PRO
« on: August 14, 2007, 06:08:55 am »

Hi,

Sorry to ask monitor again, but I haven't found enough reviews yet on the new Eizo S2031W. Anybody?

I am hesitating between the following for Photoshop work:

- Eizo S2031W (around 600 euros)
- NEC 20WMGX2PRO (around 500 euros)
- Samsung 215TW (around 450 euros)
- Apple Cinema Display (20") (around 600 euros)

Of which the Eizo has got the nicest details (on paper) I reckon.

In the AnandTech forum, I was recommended the NEC, which it's probably gonna be. But if anybody has any thoughts on the Eizo, I would sure like to know.

BTW, I did find another small review/comparison of the Eizo against the NEC, in which the reviewer favoures the Eizo. But it's hardly substantial.

Here it is, it's in German, but the last 'graph' will speak for itself:
prad.de

Cheers,
FTrippie

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 04:45:26 pm »

I have the NEC 20WMGX2 and LOVE it. In the last year I have bought a new camera (30D) new PC, new lenses and a new monitor. The NEC is the purchasethat has wowwed me the most.
Note that it has a glossy screen and this is not for everyone. I do my digital processing in the basement away from large windows.

ftrippie

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 05:13:34 pm »

I have the NEC 20WMGX2 and LOVE it. In the last year I have bought a new camera (30D) new PC, new lenses and a new monitor. The NEC is the purchasethat has wowwed me the most.
Note that it has a glossy screen and this is not for everyone. I do my digital processing in the basement away from large windows.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133278\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yep, the glossy screen would be my biggest problem. Apart from the fact that it reflects (which in the end I could find a solution for), I feel that it would also brighten up the colours too much.
I do photoshop work for internet 'delivery' (high quality virtual tours, ... at least, I try..) and feel that if MY monitor would be too lively, I would automatically dim down the colours, which in the end would result in dull pictures on the average users monitor.

Or am I totally wrong?

I would very much like to know, because the NEC is way easier to get here in Spain than the Eizo (or at least cheaper)...

cheers
FTrippie

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 09:41:28 am »

Hmmm, that sounds like a monitor callibration issue that I am not qualified to answer with any certainty.

I only process photos to view them on my monitor. When I view them on other people's monitors they look fine. I don't find them to be too dark due to my monitor being too bright. I assumed monitor callibration took the guess work out.

Maybe one of the big brained guys that live and breathe colour management can answer that one.

ftrippie

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 10:25:05 am »

Hmmm, that sounds like a monitor callibration issue that I am not qualified to answer with any certainty.

Maybe one of the big brained guys that live and breathe colour management can answer that one.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133625\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I hope so. But let me clarify, I don't have an issue. It's just that I suspect that if my (future, glossy) monitor would be too colourful (or saturated), I would automatically dim the colours during processing. The endresult would then (still hypothetically) look perfect on my (future) monitor, but relatively dull on any other (non-glossy) monitor. Just letting my brain go wild there of course :-)

Cheers,
FTrippie

thomas517

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 12:19:10 pm »

Yep, the glossy screen would be my biggest problem. Apart from the fact that it reflects (which in the end I could find a solution for), I feel that it would also brighten up the colours too much.
I do photoshop work for internet 'delivery' (high quality virtual tours, ... at least, I try..) and feel that if MY monitor would be too lively, I would automatically dim down the colours, which in the end would result in dull pictures on the average users monitor.

Or am I totally wrong?

I would very much like to know, because the NEC is way easier to get here in Spain than the Eizo (or at least cheaper)...
cheers
FTrippie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133285\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I second the nec wmgx2,I bought it last year-it's an amazing screen,I strongly reccommend it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up