Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Beta C1 4  (Read 39324 times)

Willow Photography

• http://www.willow.no
Beta C1 4
« on: August 13, 2007, 10:13:28 am »

Phase One is releasing a beta 4.0 of C1 end of this month.

Good for us Phase One owners  
Willow Photography

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
Beta C1 4
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 10:29:05 am »

about time!
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
Beta C1 4
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 02:56:53 pm »

someone please refresh my memory...what is this C1 thing? i have faint memories of a strange folder structure....
but seriously: that is good news....although i am really worried about software that comes a year late in beta form.....i am reminded of my leaf years....promises and betas....at least leaf put out betas on a constant basis......
to me it is not a question of how good will it be anymore...it is: how well will it integrate with LR....

LA30

Beta C1 4
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 05:25:35 pm »

I can't wait for brand new crappy software!

Ken

Willow Photography

• http://www.willow.no
Beta C1 4
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 05:42:49 pm »

A lot of grumpy guys out there.  
Willow Photography

awofinden

Beta C1 4
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 06:39:34 pm »

A lot of grumpy guys out there. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133051\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Er, didn't we used to buy phase ones because the software was "so good".

stevecoleccs

• http://www.stevecole.com
Beta C1 4
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 06:48:11 pm »

Sure they are - I'll belive it when I see it

~ cole

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
Beta C1 4
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 02:05:22 am »

Sure they are - I'll belive it when I see it

~ cole
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133066\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i still think 3.7.7 is the best software on the market- so version four has a lot to beat.

i kind of like lightroom, but my first gen macbookpro 2gig max ram is a dog with it. c1 runs like a rocketship.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

Frank Doorhof

• http://
Beta C1 4
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 03:01:54 am »

I LOVED C1, have used it since I bought my 10D.
However I don't like they don't support my ZD Back files

LA30

Beta C1 4
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 10:02:53 am »

I love the 2.5meg preview files.  When I shoot people/fashion/catalog job I love wasting time backing up all those previews....at 150-180 frames a shot it really adds up.

I love making a new session for every shot...With capture folders, process folders and trash folders...  It is really fun at the end of the day or 6 days of shooting hunting down all the low res jpegs and reorganizing them....It adds hours to my day.

I also love when someone changes the name after I import the cards, I lose the unique rawfile names renaiming the files...Unless I use another application.  At least they are recognized by C1 now.

I love having to manually back up the captures to another drive.  No so in lightroom or Photo Mechanic.  For time sake, ie moving locations, I don't always back up the previews.  So I love the confidence that I get when the folder sizes dont match up comparing the working folders to the back uped ones.

I love when I am moving quickly and not getting back into the correct session and I loose the trash folder.  You can make the processed folder and capture folder what ever you want but you can't remake the trash folder forcing you to manually drag the shots into the trash folder.  

I love having to constantly click on the thumbnail folder to scroll up and down in it.  Like when you delete an image you have to click on the window again.

I love that my new clients' professional pre-press department has to buy the software to open my rawfiles.

I love the rental fees I collect from a few my clients as they only except Phase raw files saving me hours of processing time.  Thank you for that!  In fact thats why I spent an extra $7,000 on a Hasselbald body, finder and 80mm lens when I bought the Phase Back and didn't go with a Hasselblad back, camera kit included.

Capture One was the best 5 years ago.  Easiest to use if you weren't very computer literate, great file quality and capture quality.  Things have changed and Phase needs to get off their butt and build in some better software features...

My 2 cents, or maybe 10 cents.

Ken

Mort54

Beta C1 4
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 11:01:44 am »

It's interesting how many diverging opinions there are on C1, LR, Aperture, or whatever. Personally, I've never understood the fuss about C1. I find the user I/F to be user unfriendly, confusing, quirky, and positively primitive compared to Aperture and LR. I frankly think LR rendering is better than C1. After doing a number of side by sides between LR and C1, I finally gave up on C1, since in my case at least, LR was consistently producing the best results. I suspect a lot of these feelings of loyalty have more to do with comfort factor, than quality of results. People tend to like what they're used to using.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 11:05:05 am by Mort54 »
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
Beta C1 4
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 01:44:56 pm »

C1 is still great..what it can do it does really well...super stable....fast conversions...the folder structure takes some getting used to and is definitely made for a commercial fashion/cataloge studio ....shooting 45 landscapes thoughout a week would be a nightmare to keep everything in line with C1....it is made to set up a shot, take 200 pics, make some changes, 200 more, quickproof, done....you only really go back to the session to process the finals....
proof of how long in the tooth C1 really is, is that phase keeps pushing (what used to be ) iview....i have used iview for years, it is great, but just like C1, it hasn't evolved....
i don't think it is fair to expect phase to come up with a real, full solution (printing, hello C1!!!!)...they make Dbacks.....adobe looked at everything on the market and rolled it into one app and it just makes everything else look 10years old....LR saves me so much time, i really thought i was going to loose it with dealing with files, uploads, galleries,....and the fact that we can expect 1 maybe 2 upgrades to LR in the next year (things added, things worked out,....) makes a C1v4beta (yippie) look even more stale.....

at this point all i want is a phase "module" for LR which would support tethered shooting in LR....maybe even make a processing module....to get a choice in final conversions.....but really....don't try to compete with adobe and put in a "highlight recovery" or "improved sharpening".....

like the previous poster said...i could not believe how much room there was on my HDs when i deleted all the C1 preview files stored in the phase folder structure....
yes i have to wait a couple of seconds for a 1:1 preview to come up (same as in C1 actually) but i know it will get faster and faster.....this is LR 1.1!!!
emailing/ftping 3 different versions of files in different sizes, uploading flash/html galleries...conversions....printing.....and EDITING!!!!!.....all done faster, easier and much more efficient (i don't have all these versions floating around...i don't need to anymore....thank you adobe!!!!)......C1v4 won't be able to compete......

if i even think that i actually paid 300 (or 400?) for C1 when i shot canon....and i paid 150 for LR??? and if i would not have a phase back, they would probably charge me for an upgrade now???

ternst

Beta C1 4
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 03:21:46 pm »

Count me as another who can't stand C1. Does anyone know if it is possible to convert the P-45 Plus files to dng so they can be read with ACR or LR? My plus back is arriving in a week or two and I can't stand the thought of being forced to use the C1 dinosaur in order to see my files - if not I may just keep the plus back in the box until Adobe upgrades...

awofinden

Beta C1 4
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 04:28:30 pm »

Count me as another who can't stand C1. Does anyone know if it is possible to convert the P-45 Plus files to dng so they can be read with ACR or LR? My plus back is arriving in a week or two and I can't stand the thought of being forced to use the C1 dinosaur in order to see my files - if not I may just keep the plus back in the box until Adobe upgrades...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133257\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I do actually agree with people who prefer LR, me too. Anyone know of any tricks to tether to LR? That would be the final nail in C1's coffin.

Mort54

Beta C1 4
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 04:53:38 pm »

Hi Tim. I was just informed that my plus is arriving in about a week as well. They must have recently completed a new batch of Mamiya backs.

I've seen others ask about a DNG converter for the plusses, and the answer I've seen in each case is that our only option is to use C1 until the next update to LR comes out.

Regarding the new back, I've been told that the only thing in the upgrade box is the new back - no new battery charger, and no new 2500 mAh batteries. As I recall, you and I both bought the plusses, and took delivery of a P45 to use while waiting. Seems like we should be getting the new battery charger and the new batteries. What have you heard on those items?
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

ternst

Beta C1 4
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 06:20:29 pm »

When my dealer contacted me a couple of days ago to let me know the back was ready to ship I asked about the new battery charger - he never heard of it. I gave him all the details, and he finally got back to me with a price - I'm going to stick with what I got, although will have to buy a few new off-brand batteries since I hear the plus backs are quite power hungry. I know these new charges are very nice, but this price is absurd..

--$220.00 is Phase One's price for the charger only.
2500mAh batteries are $90.00 each.--

Tim Ernst in Arkansas

LA30

Beta C1 4
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 06:50:05 pm »

Phase P30+ doesn't yet work with LR.  

I do love LR.  I think that the old P30 files work with LR.

I CANT wait to drop C1.  I will use it sometimes for moire issues.

I paid $80 for an extra battery out of NYC.

Ken

alba63

Beta C1 4
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 09:01:00 am »

If I may step in: I use both C1 LE and LR with my EOS 5d files, and while the LR workflow + user interface + flexibility is probably the best of any imaging software I have seen to date, the pure image quality of C1 is better.

C1's strenght is in the shadows that are very very clean + better than in LR. I am on a PC and the flexibility of C1 is quite anachronistic, no preserve highlight slider, the whole user interface is outdated in my opinion. But yet, with Magne Nielsen color profiles the quality is just excellent.

I hope that V4 will improve C1 to a modern application.

Bernie

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Beta C1 4
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 10:39:29 am »

2500mAh batteries are $90.00 each.--

Tim Ernst in Arkansas
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133298\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi, Tim,

I just purchased two extra 2500mAh batteries for my trip to the Grand Canyon/American Southwest.  I paid $65 each from my local dealer (Optechs Camera).  Give Paul or Derek a call there and hopefully they can get you sorted.  If not, let me know, and perhaps I can pick them up and drop them in the mail for you.

Tim/Hans:

Also, I found that ACR 4.1/LR 1.1 do read P45+ files properly (at least the test files that I've run through them).  It turns out that they don't develop all the + files (the P30+'s don't work, for example), but you should be fine with your P45+ on the latest version of ACR.

Ken,

As for C1, Ken, you hit the nail on the head for me.  I find the folder and excessively large previews to be a major hassle.  But it is hard to argue with the quality of the results...  That is, until ACR 4.1/LR 1.1 came along.  For me, the quality of the conversions is now comparable (but I am comparing to C1 v3.x), but the speed and particularly the convenience of Adobe's solutions are quite a bit further along.

Best regards,
Brad
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 10:49:32 am by bradleygibson »
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

ternst

Beta C1 4
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 11:58:36 am »

Brad:

Are you talking about plus files that were shot tethered? I've heard those are the only ones that ACR/LR will support, and everyone else, including Michael R. here in his plus review, says they are not supported by ACR/LR yet. I'm not sure why that would make any difference, but that is what I have been able to gather. Can you confirm this? Thanks...

Tim Ernst in Arkansas
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up