Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Beta C1 4  (Read 39325 times)

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
Beta C1 4
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 02:43:37 pm »

i used to agree that c1 conversions were better then ACR...but with acr4.1 and LR1.1 the difference has gone from better to different....i now actually prefer LR conversions for most of my work....and i am a clean shadow fanatic...

LR shoots tethered only in combination with C1...watched folder...works perfectly...super stable....it gets a little confusing with the folder structure (i almost never use C1 after shooting anymore) but i just trash the session after making sure everything is in place....

again: wouldn't it be great if there was a "shooting" tab in LR?

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
Beta C1 4
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007, 03:56:32 pm »

i used to agree that c1 conversions were better then ACR...but with acr4.1 and LR1.1 the difference has gone from better to different....i now actually prefer LR conversions for most of my work....and i am a clean shadow fanatic...

LR shoots tethered only in combination with C1...watched folder...works perfectly...super stable....it gets a little confusing with the folder structure (i almost never use C1 after shooting anymore) but i just trash the session after making sure everything is in place....

again: wouldn't it be great if there was a "shooting" tab in LR?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133463\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

why is LR so slow? is my computer not up to scratch (macbookpro 2gig/max ram)? if it ran faster, im sure i would like it more. in c1 i can open a large session of 800 images and scroll through the previews fluidily. but in lightroom it takes quite a few seconds to unpixelate each shot- totally unusable when editing a large amount of files.
everytime it opens it has to find the shots in my archive, that slows it down. i only have a quarter of my achive in LR, and its taking up 4gbs already.

i also only shoot tethered, i havnt tried the c1/LR folder watching thing. but i find c1 completely stable and fast to tether to.

maybe i just need more time on LR, but i hardly have enough time to keep up with shooting, let alone learn another piece of software.

also, i want to buy a new imac, 2.8 gig- but should i be looking a macpros if i intend to use LR?

paul
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 03:58:27 pm by paul_jones »
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

pss

Beta C1 4
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2007, 04:34:57 pm »

why is LR so slow? is my computer not up to scratch (macbookpro 2gig/max ram)? if it ran faster, im sure i would like it more. in c1 i can open a large session of 800 images and scroll through the previews fluidily. but in lightroom it takes quite a few seconds to unpixelate each shot- totally unusable when editing a large amount of files.
everytime it opens it has to find the shots in my archive, that slows it down. i only have a quarter of my achive in LR, and its taking up 4gbs already.

i also only shoot tethered, i havnt tried the c1/LR folder watching thing. but i find c1 completely stable and fast to tether to.

maybe i just need more time on LR, but i hardly have enough time to keep up with shooting, let alone learn another piece of software.

also, i want to buy a new imac, 2.8 gig- but should i be looking a macpros if i intend to use LR?

paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=0\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i have had one situation when LR was crawling...optimizing the galery solved that problem....i work on a macbookpro 2.33/3gb ram/200/7200rpm....and honestly all in all LR is as fast as C1...editing is so much better then C1....with ratings, collections!!!! and virtual copies.....a joy....
i wish LR had the loupe (like bridge has) that would take care of having to open the full rez files....i work with P30 files and can flip through (fit to screen) files in the library mode with no wait time.....

was looking at the new imacs today....really want to buy one (actually2) but the glossy screen does not seem right....i never liked glossy to begin with and i doubt it will work for critical color work...a shame...i would have bought 2 and use them exclusively....check on the web, people are having problems with the 20" screens, the 24" seems to be better, but someone did a calibration test (3 pucks, apple cinema display, 20 and 24") and the ACD wins easily....and i am not a big fan of the ACD...i guess there is a reason why the whole 24imac cost as much as my eizo:).....

LA30

Beta C1 4
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2007, 04:42:27 pm »

Ken,

As for C1, Ken, you hit the nail on the head for me.  I find the folder and excessively large previews to be a major hassle.  But it is hard to argue with the quality of the results...  That is, until ACR 4.1/LR 1.1 came along.  For me, the quality of the conversions is now comparable (but I am comparing to C1 v3.x), but the speed and particularly the convenience of Adobe's solutions are quite a bit further along.

Best regards,
Brad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133417\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Brad,

I was think MORE on user interface than quality.  Lets face it, quality is king for most of us and I have really no choice as I don't shoot tethered.  I just like bitching and I hope that someone hears me!  It least C1 is faster than a year ago.....I can remember processing Canon 1dsMII files in camera raw at a rate of 4 times C1 with similar quality.

Bottom line my fingers are crossed for version 4.

Ken

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
Beta C1 4
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2007, 04:46:04 pm »

i have had one situation when LR was crawling...optimizing the galery solved that problem....i work on a macbookpro 2.33/3gb ram/200/7200rpm....and honestly all in all LR is as fast as C1...editing is so much better then C1....with ratings, collections!!!! and virtual copies.....a joy....
i wish LR had the loupe (like bridge has) that would take care of having to open the full rez files....i work with P30 files and can flip through (fit to screen) files in the library mode with no wait time.....

was looking at the new imacs today....really want to buy one (actually2) but the glossy screen does not seem right....i never liked glossy to begin with and i doubt it will work for critical color work...a shame...i would have bought 2 and use them exclusively....check on the web, people are having problems with the 20" screens, the 24" seems to be better, but someone did a calibration test (3 pucks, apple cinema display, 20 and 24") and the ACD wins easily....and i am not a big fan of the ACD...i guess there is a reason why the whole 24imac cost as much as my eizo:).....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133482\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yeah, im sold on the fact that the imac 24 2.8 is selling for less than my 30inch cost me. it looks a bit more pro- the previous imac is a toy. as for absolute colour accuracy, i dont do my own retouching- so i use my retouchers screens as final ok. i also dont shot beauty stuff, and my shots are really mucked around with that im not that fussy. as long as the info is captured, evrything get adjusted later.
im concerned about the glossy screen as well, my agents got one on her macbook, and it looks bad. i hope some one comes out with a screen cover that would fix that.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Beta C1 4
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2007, 09:24:58 pm »

Brad:

Are you talking about plus files that were shot tethered? I've heard those are the only ones that ACR/LR will support, and everyone else, including Michael R. here in his plus review, says they are not supported by ACR/LR yet. I'm not sure why that would make any difference, but that is what I have been able to gather. Can you confirm this? Thanks...

Tim Ernst in Arkansas
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133433\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know if the files I have were shot tethered or not...  They are sample photos provided by Chris Lawrey at Capture Integration.

However they were shot, these P45+ files read and develop just fine in ACR 4.1.

My P45+ hasn't arrived yet, but when it does, I'll definitely be giving it a try (I only shoot untethered to a CF card).

-Brad
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

bradleygibson

Beta C1 4
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007, 09:29:19 pm »

Brad,

I was think MORE on user interface than quality.  Lets face it, quality is king for most of us and I have really no choice as I don't shoot tethered.  I just like bitching and I hope that someone hears me!  It least C1 is faster than a year ago.....I can remember processing Canon 1dsMII files in camera raw at a rate of 4 times C1 with similar quality.

Bottom line my fingers are crossed for version 4.

Ken
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133484\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree with you completely, Ken.

I'll have to see if the + files I have are working only because they were shot tethered.  I also do not shoot tethered, and will be very sad if my workflow breaks when my new back arrives!
-Brad

vgogolak

• http://
Beta C1 4
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2007, 09:43:36 pm »

I don't know if the files I have were shot tethered or not...  They are sample photos provided by Chris Lawrey at Capture Integration.

My P45+ hasn't arrived yet, but when it does, I'll definitely be giving it a try (I only shoot untethered to a CF card).

-Brad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133530\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just received my P45+. ACR 4.1 opens the P45 files ok, but NOT the P45+
at all. You only see the thumbnail. It will not open regardless where you put the ACR format files.

and chris' file did not open for me either. In bridge it shows thumb, but double click and the ACR window does NOT come up.

Bradey, how did you open the file?

Maybe the next release.... (or maybe there is something special you need to do?

Victor
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 09:55:25 pm by vgogolak »

LA30

Beta C1 4
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2007, 09:49:52 pm »

I agree with you completely, Ken.

I'll have to see if the + files I have are working only because they were shot tethered.  I also do not shoot tethered, and will be very sad if my workflow breaks when my new back arrives!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133532\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Brad,  I just fired up the camera....tethered it works in LR...That is I shot to C1 and then imported the images into LR.  I made a tiff from LR.  I can't speak of the quality but it "works" with a P30+ back.  Shot to a card...no go.  Oh well.  I hope this helps.

Ken

bradleygibson

Beta C1 4
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2007, 02:19:10 am »

Hi, Ken,

I hadn't heard before that the files from the Phase + backs are actually different depending on if one shoots to a CF card or shoots tethered.  That's a new one for me.

Thanks for letting us know about the tethered "solution"...  At least until ACR 4.2 comes out (we can only hope for full + support in the next version).

Victor, the P45+ files I have must have been shot tethered, if this odd business of getting a different file when shooting tethered is true.

I'm running PSCS3 Extended with ACR 4.1 and without doing anything more special than double-clicking the file, the full res image (not the thumbnail preview) is being processed.  No special tricks or secret key presses.

-Brad
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 02:19:50 am by bradleygibson »
-Brad

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
Beta C1 4
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2007, 06:08:38 am »

I don't know if the files I have were shot tethered or not...  They are sample photos provided by Chris Lawrey at Capture Integration.

-Brad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133530\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Brad,

The files I shot of the 3 cars with the P30+ and P45+ were shot to a card.  If anyone needs me to post them again, please let me know.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration
www.captureintegration.com

ternst

Beta C1 4
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2007, 07:01:13 am »

Seems like we continue to get conflicting info about this ACR/LR and plus files tethered or not - Michael and most other folks (including folks on the Phase One support board) say you cannot open plus files with the current ACR/LR while a few folks here have been able to do it. Could it be that PS Extended does support these files while the standard version does not? Or does anyone else have an answer?

bradleygibson

Beta C1 4
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2007, 04:50:21 pm »

Brad,

The files I shot of the 3 cars with the P30+ and P45+ were shot to a card.  If anyone needs me to post them again, please let me know.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration
www.captureintegration.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133587\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Chris.

I have the pictures of the Capture Integration office interior with the jerseys on the wall to the left, and a photograph of a bearded gentleman sitting on a stool beside some cabinetry.

Would you happen to remember if those images were shot tethered or to a card?  (I'm very surprised that the file format would change depending on how they were shot.)

Hi, Tim,

Yes, it is puzzling, the conflicting reports.  I seriously doubt that there is a difference between PSCS3 regular and extended, because the functionality is in ACR 4.1.  Further, Lightroom 1.1 behaves exactly the same for me as PSCS3X/ACR 4.1 (ie. the P45+ files I have also work fine in LR 1.1).

All I can do is continue to wait for my + back and see if I can explain any of this strangeness...

Best regards,
Brad
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 04:51:38 pm by bradleygibson »
-Brad

pss

Beta C1 4
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2007, 04:59:50 pm »

Brad,  I just fired up the camera....tethered it works in LR...That is I shot to C1 and then imported the images into LR.  I made a tiff from LR.  I can't speak of the quality but it "works" with a P30+ back.  Shot to a card...no go.  Oh well.  I hope this helps.

Ken

this sounds really strange....are you aware of the issue with importing files into LR directly from the card? that did not work with P30 files at first either....LR only imported the previews....the solution is to copy the files from the card to a folder and import from that folder into LR....does not really take more time, but is a little annoying.....
this is the first time hearing that P+ files are processed by LR...i guess you are lucky!

LA30

Beta C1 4
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2007, 07:03:36 pm »

this sounds really strange....are you aware of the issue with importing files into LR directly from the card? that did not work with P30 files at first either....LR only imported the previews....the solution is to copy the files from the card to a folder and import from that folder into LR....does not really take more time, but is a little annoying.....
this is the first time hearing that P+ files are processed by LR...i guess you are lucky!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133698\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have Photoshop cs3 standard, the most resent version and LR, the most recent version....I used C1 , most recent version, tethered and then Opened LR and imported the Captures folder from the C1 session.  I was able to make a tiff from LR....I would NOT want that to be my work flow everyday.

I hope that this helps,

Ken

pss

Beta C1 4
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2007, 07:16:44 pm »

I have Photoshop cs3 standard, the most resent version and LR, the most recent version....I used C1 , most recent version, tethered and then Opened LR and imported the Captures folder from the C1 session.  I was able to make a tiff from LR....I would NOT want that to be my work flow everyday.

I hope that this helps,

Ken

i shoot tethered all the time from C1 into LR with the autoimport/watched folder function in LR....works perfectly, no problems at all....i have a P30, not being able to open the + files in LR has been one of the reasons i have not upgraded yet....so i guess it is good news that yours seems to be supported.....

stevekhart

Beta C1 4
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2007, 08:31:16 pm »

i shoot tethered all the time from C1 into LR with the autoimport/watched folder function in LR....works perfectly, no problems at all....i have a P30, not being able to open the + files in LR has been one of the reasons i have not upgraded yet....so i guess it is good news that yours seems to be supported.....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133714\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's been mentioned previously - LR supports P30+ RAW files when shooting tethered, just not if captured via CF card. HTH.

ternst

Beta C1 4
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2007, 08:17:13 pm »

As noted by some, but not all of you with plus backs, I just got my p-45 plus back today and I cannot open the files with either LR or ACR 4.1. Since I simply cannot stand C1 I guess I will have to put this back in the bag and on the shelf until Adobe updates to 4.2...If any of you who have been successful opening plus files with ACR or LR know the trick, please post it here (I won't be shooting tethered). Thanks...

pss

Beta C1 4
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2007, 08:39:40 pm »

It's been mentioned previously - LR supports P30+ RAW files when shooting tethered, just not if captured via CF card. HTH.

this does not make any sense...either a file format is supported or not....shooting tethered means shooting into a folder which can be watched and autoimported into LR....which would be exactly the same as importing from any folder....
with the P files it was a similar issue, some backs were supported, some weren't....some with problems some without...but none worked tethered but not non-tethered....
a frequent problem mentioned then was that the files were not supported when copied directly from the card....LR only read the previews....copying the files onto the HD and importing from there did the trick....
anyway....with the next LR update this will be resolved anyway.....

it does not surprise me that the v4beta/demo did not turn any heads....if C1 was 20times faster, it still would not help me with my workflow....i am more then happy with my conversion times out of LR..it's everything LR does before, after and on top of C1 that makes it an obvious choice for me....

but either way...whatever trick phase can pull off, adobe will have the same feature in LR a couple of months later...and probably faster and better...this competition was over the second adobe seriously entered this software niche.....they waited and looked at everything available, hired some of the best people and made sure they would have the best product....and they do....

now we are looking at 08 for a C1v4 pro version? why not just say 09? i mean i can easily wait this long for something i actually don't need anymore.... C1 3.7 does everything v4 will do (highlight, shadow lsiders and new web galleries don't count....especially if i had to wait 12-18 months for them)....

the 1DSmkIII was announced today....22mpix, 14bit....nothing to really worry phase....but 3" screen and live-view....i highly recommend checking out a demo of the live-view feature (even available on the 1dmkIII)...this should make phase blush....

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Beta C1 4
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2007, 08:52:25 pm »

but either way...whatever trick phase can pull off, adobe will have the same feature in LR a couple of months later...and probably faster and better...this competition was over the second adobe seriously entered this software niche.....they waited and looked at everything available, hired some of the best people and made sure they would have the best product....and they do....

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134421\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not so. This is likie saying you are the "best" photographer. Adobe has a very good solid Raw converter but it's not necessarily "best" in any way. If you have time, download the demo of Raw Developer and compare the file quality, or run Canon DPP on a Canon file ... either of these will knock your socks off.

C1 is very very good with Phase files. And so it should be.

Edmund
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 08:52:43 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up