Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom has encountered a problem...  (Read 4648 times)

gunnar1

Lightroom has encountered a problem...
« on: August 12, 2007, 12:48:36 pm »

The problem: as stated in the topic, I constantly get this message as LR 1.1 shuts itself down. At first I thought that it was only when working on something during an import so I began leaving it alone until it finished (even though it was supposed to be one of the strong points of LR, to work while LR worked on something else in the background.) The more I use 1.1, and I started out with one of the first beta versions, the more frustrating the problem becomes. LR now crashes at random during any sort of operation.

I am running Windows XP Pro on a purpose built machine with a Core Duo and 2G ram. There are virtually no other programs on it save os stuff, browser, PSE v.4 and some Canon utilities; I don't even have my printer installed on it yet. I have disabled as much as possible on startup and still it happens.

It has been suggested to me that what I am experiencing is a software conflict but I am having an impossible time figuring out what that conflict might be. It has also been suggested that I revert to 1.0 but that comes with it's own set of questions, such as how do I accomplish that without losing data.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Richard

Richowens

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 02:21:52 pm »

Richard,

What I did on mine,a dual core AMD 3800 with 2 gig ram, was to set memory allocation and resources to programs rather than appearance. You can do this under system, advanced tab, in Control Panel. This reverted the appearance back to Classic Windows schemes, but I am more interested in how well it runs. This alone stopped about 80% of the crashing and all the MSCVR80.dll problems.

Another thing I did was remove Intellipoint 6.1 and installed 5.2. I am using a MS Wheelmouse. I know there is a conflict with 6.1 and CS3, so I thought I would try reverting to 5.2 and it helped slow down the crashes.

I almost forgot, I also defragged all my hard drives. This seemed to add a performance increase, although nothing earth shattering. Defragging helped CS2, more than anything else, in the time it takes to load and open.

I upgraded to XP and installed Lightroom on the same day so I have had to "debug" two programs simultaineously, but I have both running fairly smoothly with good speed.

HTH

Rich

gunnar1

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 08:42:13 pm »

Thanks Rich

I don't know how you discovered it, but reverting to Classic worked wonders. I put LR through it's paces for a solid two hours and have left it run now all day without a crash.

Much, much better. I can now go back to extolling the virtues of the program.

Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up