Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper to cover large prints while curing?  (Read 2799 times)

ternst

Paper to cover large prints while curing?
« on: August 12, 2007, 11:24:20 am »

I'm looking for some type of paper to use to cover large inkjet prints while they cure for a day or two, and also to cover the print to help protect it for shipping. I currently use acid-free tissue paper for a day or two and then a new sheet of this tissue paper over the print before it goes into a plastic bag and into a tube for shipping. I am making larger prints now and can only find 24" x 36" tissue sheets and wanted to see if anyone could recommend some type of paper that would come on 44" or 48" rolls and would not damage the print (acid free perhaps). I didn't know if plain old newsprint or non-waxed butcher paper would work or not. Instead of using multiple sheets of tissue paper, does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks...

Tim Ernst in Arkansas

SteveZ

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 12:45:09 pm »

I'm looking for some type of paper to use to cover large inkjet prints while they cure for a day or two, and also to cover the print to help protect it for shipping. I currently use acid-free tissue paper for a day or two and then a new sheet of this tissue paper over the print before it goes into a plastic bag and into a tube for shipping. I am making larger prints now and can only find 24" x 36" tissue sheets and wanted to see if anyone could recommend some type of paper that would come on 44" or 48" rolls and would not damage the print (acid free perhaps). I didn't know if plain old newsprint or non-waxed butcher paper would work or not. Instead of using multiple sheets of tissue paper, does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks...

Tim Ernst in Arkansas
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132801\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tim, I was about to post this same question. I remember reading that plain paper or cheap coated ink jet paper can be used to cover prints for 24 hours during the curing process. Multiple prints can be stacked as long as paper is interleaved between each print.

As far as shipping though, I normally just carefully roll the print and place it in an acid free tube. A bigger concern to me is protecting the print from scratches and moisture, etc. before shipping. I've used Premier Eco Shield but have had nothing but problems so now I just try and be VERY careful after each print is made.

Probably not the safest way of handling it but perhaps someone else can read this thread and shed some light.

Ed Foster, Jr.

• http://www.edfoster.net
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 01:10:13 pm »

Tim Ernst in Arkansas
Tim,

You might check plotter supply outlets that carry plotter medium.  For example, I know that companies like OCE have 44" and larger rolls of bond and presentation bond paper.  This might be what you are looking for.

Good Luck,
Ed
Ed Foster, Jr.
[url=http://www.edfoster.

fdi

• http://www.framedestination.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 10:10:33 am »

Acid Free Protective Tissue

Tim Ernst in Arkansas
Mark Rogers
Frame Destination [url=https

ternst

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 10:46:53 am »

I had never thought about plotter paper supply houses so thanks for that idea - I actually found some tracing paper there that might work, although they only have it in rolls 36" wide - I'm hoping to find 44" or 48" rolls - I think that would be perfect.

The Linco protective sheets sound like the perfect stuff but what Frame Destination stocks is too small - I'll do some digging and see if Linco makes larger sheets. Thanks guys!

dkeyes

• http://
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 01:53:43 am »

No need for acid free paper if your only using it for a short period. I just buy rolls of white butcher paper at the art supply store. Fairly heavyweight and absorbent.

Alaska

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 04:00:24 am »

Check with your local newspaper.  Most now use a web press and rolls of newsprint.  They often sell ends that are too short in length to run on the press.  They can tell you what sizes they use, etc.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up