Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Woes  (Read 4510 times)

casterle

Z3100 Woes
« on: August 12, 2007, 12:51:48 am »

I just received my new Z3100ps (24") and I have a few questions for the Z3100 gurus in this forum :-).

While I was installing the heads, I heard the expected beep after each was inserted, but while the printer was initializing them (or whatever it does) I had a head error message. I unplugged/replugged all the heads and then everything worked OK. Is this something to be concerned about?

Worse, the network interface seems to be dead. I've tried two cables, both of which I work perfectly on my Epson color laser printer. I'm trying to connect to the printer via a switching hub.

The symptoms are 1) the software can't find the printer on my network and 2) when I gently wiggle the network cable connector on the back of the printer, the green LED comes and goes. If I do this while I'm trying to ping the printer, the amber LED blinks every now and then. (I was a bit put out to find that if I'd bought, say, a cheap HP notebook I'd have 24x7 tech support but since I bought a top of the line printer I'll have to wait until Monday to get help from them).

Is this a common problem with Z3100's or was it just luck-of-the-draw?

Finally, when I ran the color calibration, I saw what I assume are 'pizza-wheel' marks in the glossy surface of the print every half-inch or so. The printer was built in Jan 2007, so would I be right in assuming that it has the old wheel mechanism? Do you think I'll be able to get HP to install the redesigned parts?

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Leroy

thierryd

• http://www.dehesdin.eu
Z3100 Woes
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 03:54:07 am »

Do you think I'll be able to get HP to install the redesigned parts?
I do'nt know if you should ask for redesigned parts or a new Z3100, but there are obviously many troubles with the printer you received...
May be I'm wrong but I can't remember an error message when I was initializing the heads.
The Z 3100 is not supposed to leave 'pizza-wheel' marks in the glossy surface of the print every half-inch or so  
I can't speak about the network interface. I'm using mine straight from the USB port. But HP is used to put network interface on his pro printer, it's not something new to the Z printers. The only trouble I heard until now about the network interface, were relating to the online update.

Charles Gast

Z3100 Woes
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 08:22:52 am »

I had to manually enter the ip address of the printer when doing the setup on my computer. The (typically) lame software could not find it on its own even though I could ping it.
Does it ping?  It sounds like the cable could be defective unless the led just happens to be flashing anyway at the same time you are wiggling the cable.

casterle

Z3100 Woes
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 12:28:46 pm »

I had to manually enter the ip address of the printer when doing the setup on my computer. The (typically) lame software could not find it on its own even though I could ping it.
Does it ping?  It sounds like the cable could be defective unless the led just happens to be flashing anyway at the same time you are wiggling the cable.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132780\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Charles,

Thanks for answering. I manually configured the IP on the printer (I don't use DHCP anywhere on my network - I like to know where everything is). I can't ping it.

I've tried two different cables, both of which work perfectly on my Epson color laserjet so I'm pretty sure it's not the cable. But it *is* something mechanical (bad network connector on the printer, bad solder joint - although this would be unusual given modern production techniques, loose network board?).

-Leroy

casterle

Z3100 Woes
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 12:38:38 pm »

I do'nt know if you should ask for redesigned parts or a new Z3100, but there are obviously many troubles with the printer you received...
May be I'm wrong but I can't remember an error message when I was initializing the heads.
The Z 3100 is not supposed to leave 'pizza-wheel' marks in the glossy surface of the print every half-inch or so   
I can't speak about the network interface. I'm using mine straight from the USB port. But HP is used to put network interface on his pro printer, it's not something new to the Z printers. The only trouble I heard until now about the network interface, were relating to the online update.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132771\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi thierryd,

Thanks for the reply.

In researching LF printers, I ran into a few complaints about the pizza wheel issue, so I know that problem's not limited to my particular printer. My understanding is that HP has redesigned the parts at least once and is replacing them for people with issues. I didn't see complaints about failing network interfaces or print head issues.

I'm going to be speaking to HP about this tomorrow. From what I understand, their support is good, so we'll see what happens.

-Leroy

dkeyes

• http://
Z3100 Woes
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 01:32:50 pm »

I'm on a mac OSX using ethernet but I had problems connecting to my printer early on. Had to go to manual address as well but make sure you go to the printer address on the internet. Under networking there is a check box at the bottom of the page that says "Send DHCP requests if IP address is Auto IP...". You have to uncheck this box if you haven't already. Also make sure you have latest Driver and firmware because one of the recent updates fixed a usb bug.
- Doug

casterle

Z3100 Woes
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 04:04:38 pm »

I'm on a mac OSX using ethernet but I had problems connecting to my printer early on. Had to go to manual address as well but make sure you go to the printer address on the internet. Under networking there is a check box at the bottom of the page that says "Send DHCP requests if IP address is Auto IP...". You have to uncheck this box if you haven't already. Also make sure you have latest Driver and firmware because one of the recent updates fixed a usb bug.
- Doug
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132823\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi dkeyes,

Thanks for the info. I don't have a "Send DHCP requests if IP address is Auot IP..." that I can find (I'm looking on the front panel). I do have a page that lets me select between BOOTP, DHCP, Auto IP and Manual. When I select manual the printer beeps loudly and displays "The value entered is invalid". Since I checking a checkbox, I don't know how my selection could be invalid. The manual's no help.

The printer has forgotten all of the IP address info I entered (IP address, subnet mask, gateway & DNS serverss). Somthing must be seriously wrong. I'd try USB, but I don't have a 15' cable.

I'll see what HP says tomorrow.

-Leroy

WaltZ

• http://WaltZPhotography.com
Z3100 Woes
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 04:52:19 pm »

While I was installing the heads, I heard the expected beep after each was inserted, but while the printer was initializing them (or whatever it does) I had a head error message. I unplugged/replugged all the heads and then everything worked OK. Is this something to be concerned about?

I just got my own Z3100, but this sounds like a bad connection on the first plugin and not something to worry about.  

Worse, the network interface seems to be dead. I've tried two cables, both of which I work perfectly on my Epson color laser printer. I'm trying to connect to the printer via a switching hub.

The symptoms are 1) the software can't find the printer on my network and 2) when I gently wiggle the network cable connector on the back of the printer, the green LED comes and goes. If I do this while I'm trying to ping the printer, the amber LED blinks every now and then. (I was a bit put out to find that if I'd bought, say, a cheap HP notebook I'd have 24x7 tech support but since I bought a top of the line printer I'll have to wait until Monday to get help from them).

Is this a common problem with Z3100's or was it just luck-of-the-draw?

The green light should always be on to indicate the presence of a connection.  In my understanding, if it ain't on, you don't have a connection.  Assuming you have a good cable and the little springy plastic tabs are intact and functioning on both ends of the cable, this sounds to me like a bad connector in the printer.  

I also run my Z3100 through a switch.  I haven't seen any problems with that exactly.  See posts in this ( http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=18752
 ) and other threads for issues installing the driver with a network connection.

Finally, when I ran the color calibration, I saw what I assume are 'pizza-wheel' marks in the glossy surface of the print every half-inch or so. The printer was built in Jan 2007, so would I be right in assuming that it has the old wheel mechanism? Do you think I'll be able to get HP to install the redesigned parts?

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Leroy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132755\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dunno.  I saw lines on the glossy roll that came with the printer, but I haven't printed glossy since.

dkeyes

• http://
Z3100 Woes
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 08:08:08 pm »

Hi dkeyes,

Thanks for the info. I don't have a "Send DHCP requests if IP address is Auot IP..." that I can find (I'm looking on the front panel). I do have a page that lets me select between BOOTP, DHCP, Auto IP and Manual. When I select manual the printer beeps loudly and displays "The value entered is invalid". Since I checking a checkbox, I don't know how my selection could be invalid. The manual's no help.

The printer has forgotten all of the IP address info I entered (IP address, subnet mask, gateway & DNS serverss). Somthing must be seriously wrong. I'd try USB, but I don't have a 15' cable.

I'll see what HP says tomorrow.

-Leroy
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Each printer has an internet address. You can see all the stats on the web just plug in your IP address on front panel of printer into your web browser. Here is the address minus your numbers: [a href=\"http://169.254.XX.XXX/hp/device/webAccess/index.htm]http://169.254.XX.XXX/hp/device/webAccess/index.htm[/url]

First you will go to this page
[attachment=2992:attachment]
Select network button and you'll get this page
[attachment=2991:attachment]

All your info should be in here already, just uncheck box at bottom.

casterle

Z3100 Woes
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 11:38:13 am »

I'd like to you all for your helpful comments and suggestions.

I just got off the phone with HP's support (a 2-hour call!).

The problem turned out to be a loose network interace card (actually, it's more than just a network interface - it contains the hard drive, memory and the battery as well). He had me remove the card, reseat the memory, then reseat the card. That appears to have cleared up the problem.

I also mentioned the 'pizza wheel' (HP calls them 'start wheels') marks on the calibration print. A service tech will be here tomorrow to install the redesigned assembly.

The support tech (Harry) was very thorough and patient - needless to say, I'm impressed with HP's support (although I'd prefer to not need it again!).

-Leroy
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 11:41:27 am by casterle »

rdonson

Z3100 Woes
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 12:01:32 pm »

That's good news, Leroy.  It sounds like this story may have a happy ending.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up