Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experience about Yunnan - China  (Read 3246 times)

NicoChina

• nicolasharter.com
Experience about Yunnan - China
« on: August 11, 2007, 09:12:14 pm »

Hi,

I will be spending about 3 weeks between Kunming / Dali / Erhai / Lijiang and maybe Xianggelila (shangrilla) with a group of chinese art students and teachers.

I'm quite interested in your experiences, concerning these places (and around), and gear and practical considerations. We will be travelling on with budget considerations in mind (that is chinese student's budget, so probably super-budget for some of you )

I currently have a Sony R1 (+ cheap tripod) and a D200 (with a 17-50 and normal tripod), and plan to get some new lenses : probably a sigma 50-150 (on the verge of discarding the heavier F2.8 zooms) and maybe a prime.

Any advice, experience and link to nice online gallery showing what to expect are most welcome (i do only have an obsolete Lonely Planet guide).

thanks a lot.

Nicolas

eatstickyrice

• http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/rickwaggoner
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 10:00:36 am »

Sounds like a fun trip! I think you'll especially like Lijiang. There are lots of traditional style Chinese houses there, as well as the Naxi minority people. A lot of the Naxi women wear traditional clothing, which makes for interesting pictures. It's worth renting a bike if you can, as the countryside around there is beautiful. There are lots of rice terraces, green fields and such. There's also a snow covered mountain there, which frames in nice with the green fields below and blue sky above.

Xianglalila is also an interesting place to visit. There's a really large Tibetan Buddhist monastery there. They typically request that you don't take photos inside certain parts of the structure, but all around it is interesting life to photograph.

Kunming itself is a typical Chinese city... The pollution in the cities there tends to give an ugly white sky, which doesn't register well to cameras. That said, you might catch a blue sky day. In any case, make your way down to Green Lake early in the morning if you would like to catch some good shots of people exercising... Tai Chi and such. There is a flower village outside of Kunming, though I doubt you'll have time to get out there on the schedule you mentioned.

If you don't have sufficient portable storage space to back up your images, you might consider going to a photo store. Many of them in China have computers these days. If you had a few extra CD's or DVD's you could probably back up your images for a nominal fee. In Kunming the best camera stores are around Workers Park in the downtown area.

Rick
[url=http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/rickwa

NicoChina

• nicolasharter.com
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 08:05:31 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.

I was a bit disappointed by minorities in villages near Guilin, people grabbing my arm to ask for money in exchange for pictures every few meters.. this didn't really put me in the mood to say the least. How is it in Yunnan? Is it that aggressive? (i had much better experience with Tibetan from northern sichuan).

As i'll stay with students, i'm not so much in control of the program but we'll probably only use Kunming as a rally-point and spend lot of time in a few selected area, they do painting, so i'll guess that for once i won't be the one slowing down when i'll be taking pictures :-p

Also, from the landscape point of view, did u have use of longzoom or it's more the "wide angle" kind? I'm wondering about what camera to take, if the R1 can do it, or if i'll lack some longer lens.

Still thinking about storage as well as this will be my first long trip probably shooting RAWs, maybe get a portable HD or keep my old XsDrive (but i guess one modern card would probably suck the whole battery when uploaded in it...).

Nicolas

eatstickyrice

• http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/rickwaggoner
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 01:56:15 am »

I think you'll find Lijiang and Xianglalila to be more peaceful places to shoot. Kunming sometimes has people that will run up and grab your arms like that, but not always. As far as money goes for a shot, I try to avoid it. However, when I see a shot that I just have to have, and that requires a small "donation" I give one... Though seldom. Do keep in mind that it's tourists who have taught folks that, and that usually those particular people aren't making big bucks. They're just trying to feed their families.

Rick
[url=http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/rickwa

matthew1

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 02:18:59 am »

There is a very nice ancient wooden buddhist temple in Kunming (with a "Thai" style slender golden buddha), but I've forgotten what it's called and couldn't give you directions.
Also, the "bird market" was very, very interesting when I was there. It would make for great photo opportunities.
I'm sure the city has changed dramtically and I wonder if those places still exist ? (I was there in 2000).
The climate is great (warm and sunny in winter), as is the food in China when you are with native Chinese fluent in the language and cuisine.
People are generally very friendly.

NicoChina

• nicolasharter.com
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 06:59:08 pm »

@ stickyrice : The noisy guy that follows me during 5 minutes asking the equivalent of 3 meals in a good restaurant for a snapshot i don't want anyway is unlikely to feed anyone thanks to me  I do live in China, as translator and teacher (and whatever i can), and i can understand that it can be a bit challenging for some to realize that they can have a month worth of countryside income in 10 minutes works for some foreigners and nothing from another, but it still doesn't make it a pleasant thing for me. The guy stealing your mobile phone is feeding his family as well (or at least trying to satisfy some local caid), but that doesn't make him your friend right? I really had no pleasure at all at taking streetpics in guangxi because of that kind of super aggressive (and hopeless) approach.

This being said, China is generally a very warm and welcoming place and much safer than my homeland. I have met a lot of very nice people here and spend some wonderful time travelling across the country, which is something i do as much as i can :-)

PS: i feel legitimate to pay models generally speaking.

@matthew : thanks, i'll ask for the bird market and buddhist temple then
Pages: [1]   Go Up