Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf aptus 65s or h3d-31  (Read 16193 times)

ulriktofte

Leaf aptus 65s or h3d-31
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 09:00:32 am »

I have just tested the phaseone p30+. and i must say that i am impressed.  The functionality of the back is so easy and nice. The LCD is bright and clear which you can use even outdoor.
. You do not have so many options as the Leaf, but do you need them?  (but one can live with them...) So overall if it was not a mater of price I think i would go for the Phaseone. but it is nearly 4000$ more expensive than the Leaf. But i do not think that i will produce better pictures or get paid more if they were produced by a Phaseone!

One thing about the Phaseone is that you can use it with your Canon files, which make the much better. And the work flow is easier. After i process my pictures from adobe Raw i always have to do a lot of adjustments layers to make the colors right.

One can compare the functionality of the leaf with another danish brand The B&O and the Leaf with the Hewlett-Packard ipaq. But for me it is also a mater of price. So unless Phaseone i willing to cut some of their price it is going to be the Leaf Aptus 65s.

Ulrik

ulriktofte

Leaf aptus 65s or h3d-31
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 04:08:27 pm »

Today i just ordered a hasselblad h2 with a Phaseone p30+. I ended up choosing the Phaseone for a number of reasons. i if go through the Leaf first, there were some things that did not satisfied me.

The first impression of the LCD impressed you, with all its functionality. You could type in text, you could set the WB with the stylus pen, adjust alot of settings etc. It is like a nice new gaget. But do you need them. No... I do not think so. But they do no harm.  The LCD is not usable outside, which is a downside. So for me overall the functionality ended up to be a disadvantage...

Another ting that made me choose the Phaseone is that i had a beef with the "company" that tried to sell me the Leaf. That do not say anything about the Leaf product, but they were not very professional on a number of occasions, so i would expect that the service they could provide were of a lover standard. I called one of my colleague that uses Leaf, and he had a lot of problem with his back, and the "Company" did not agknowlage his problem, and he had to bring on a layer to sort out his problem. Overall i did not trust the to support the way that i would expect. (Actually they were so eager in trying to sell me the Leaf, that they offered me a espresso-maker worth 2.000$...)   So frankly i was scared away.  if you have to barging with a coffemaker to sell something that expensive, what is the catch then?!

I tried the Leaf-software and it worked alright, it was easy to use as one would expect it to be. But nothing fancy.
I could not say anything about the Leaf aptus 65s couse i did not ever test it... They borough me the Aptus 22... strange... But i can only expected that the file is splendid, as one of my other colleagues says.  The service that they promissed in case something went wrong and you had to return the back were 4-5 days. It had to either be sent to belgium or Israel.

So it is a mix of personal relations with the dealer and that the LCD looked like something from Hewlett-Packard, and the numerous updated software issues from Leaf made me not choose The Leaf.

I choose the Phaseone, because it seemed like a rock solid product. The Backs interface worked like something from B&O (Another Danish brand). Four buttons that did the job. Not so much to choose from. (i Think that their philosophy is that what you can do at home, you do not need to be doing on the job.) That really appealed to me. The battery was integrated in the back where the Lefs was underneath.

The Software were nice to work with, and it is recommended to process your Canon files from it as well (i own a Canon ds mark II as well)

But the most important thing were the support. they promise you 24/48 hours swap and since i live in Denmark (Phaseone is situated in Copenhagen) i could have an replacement within a couples of hours.  And i must say the dealer of Phaseone were super professional.

So if i should conclude what made the difference i would say that i is a matter of trust. I frankly cdo not believe that the Phaseone produces better or sharper pictures than the Leaf, but i believe that the support is better and is worth 2.000$ more plus a coffemaker.

Best
Ulrik

Nick-T

Leaf aptus 65s or h3d-31
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 05:13:27 pm »

IMO there should be no objective of setting Flexcolor or the back to shooting DNG directly. In that case as an user you have the option. On most of my cameras I don't have the option of software corrections to begin with.

Having said this. I am also pleased conversion to DNG is quite quickly but you need lots of storage.

Hi Dustbak
Actually they did try the option of shooting direct to DNG but it puts a big strain on the in-back processor and would slow shooting speed so it's best left to a desktop and as you say it's pretty quick.

Flexcolor itself is not a pretty application but it works. It is also not completely stable but it doesn't crash often fortunately.

I do get weird things like now & than the back acts up and I get green/magenta cast again together with weird ghostly shadows.

On a shooting day it happens once or twice that the back doesn't respond to Flexcolor. Jerking out the firewire and putting it back in solves this.

Flexcolour has been rock solid for me for some time now I assume you are doing all the system maintenance stuff (Onyx or cocktail etc).

Green Magenta casts would point to a cable/firewire issue in my opinion. Are you using the front port on a G5? Have you tried a PCI FW card?

HTh
Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

alexjones

• http://www.alexrjones.com
Leaf aptus 65s or h3d-31
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2007, 05:34:40 pm »

Flexcolor has been solid for me as well.  I am running it on multiple machines and no problems tethered or not.  I can't remember when the last glitch or crash was, many months ago.  I'm shooting an Imacon 132c and running FlexColor 4.5.3 on OS 10.4.9.  I did not upgrade to a newer Flexcolor since it did not have any features that interested me and it was running so perfectly.  I have a CF39 upgrade on order and am anxious to see how it runs.

I like the way Flex works and the way it is organized.  Some new things are in the works from what I have heard that will be useful.  It's not a pretty ap but the files are great and it works efficiently.  Given how well the profiles render the color in FC I don't see much reason to do them any other way.  It just works.

Alex Jones, Digital Tech and Assistant Pittsburgh PA
http://alexrjones.com/alexrjones/digitaltech.html

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Leaf aptus 65s or h3d-31
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2007, 02:35:41 am »

Hi Nick, good to see you here as well

I have had only 1 crash of Flexcolor sofar, so stability wise I find it very good. I did have some files going AWOL recently but have not been able to find the cause of that. That might just have been 'user error' or anything else. Indeed it is not a pretty app. but I truly don't care about that as long as it works which it kind of does.

I use it on location with a Macbook Pro. I know Hasselblad tried to do the DNG shoot directly from the back. The way I would like to see it work is to be able to shoot to DNG via Flexcolor. either first to .fff and have Flexcolor convert automatically in the background to .dng (or immediately to .jpg or .tiff). In that case the processing is not done via the backs processor but via the much faster processor of the computer.

Anyway. I have been working with the CF39 and Flexcolor for the last couple of weeks. I have just entered the busy part of the season, sofar I only had problems due to my own inexperience with the system. I am now getting to the point it is behaving predictable and reliable. This I find impressive. I was a bit afraid of using the CF39 for more high volume shoots with a minimum amount of time but sofar it handled that very well and only just a tad slower than my A17. The IQ is simply stunning.

Apparently the green/magents is a sync error between camera and back. I use a Digiflex II very often which at this moment needs an (IMO) odd configuration to be used with the CF39. Even now I sometimes get an image that has a ghost and green/magenta cast, this only happens once every couple of hundred shots. (if I use the wrong configuration, set the back on DigiFlex while using flash). I know the DigiFlex is an ancient relic but I still use it for the majority of my work (still gives me 22Mp, even 30Mp when I leave on a nice black border).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 02:43:21 am by Dustbak »

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Leaf aptus 65s or h3d-31
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2007, 03:46:50 am »

Hi
I just shot a job with the Aptus 65 on a Mamiya 645 AFDII the other day using LC 11. Great software & the file quality was excellent.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up